jQuery not supported.

service 4wd message

service 4wd message

Postby 1999 [OP] » Feb 20 2021, 1:10am

This is on my 2010 silverado 1500 4x4 ecsb. Snowed like crazy this week. I turn the know the 4 hi and the light on the know just blinks and blinks, then the service 4wd message come on. Refuses to go into 4wd. So i drove to town in 2wd. Came home and tried it again and it worked. so ive used the 4wd for the past 2 days no problem, then today i go to use it and once again, the service 4wd message comes on. Whats normally the problem when this happens?
Thanks!
Original Poster
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 35
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: CCSB 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: service 4wd message

Postby MacQ » Feb 20 2021, 2:26am

Check the fluid level through the fill hole of your transfer case. The fluid level should be at or within 1/4 of an inch below the hole. Note: if you take out the fill plug and lots of fluid comes gushing out, an internal seal between the transmission and transfer case has gone bad. If it is low, fill with the proper fluid for your year truck and see if that helps. If it does, then you need to find out why it is low (leaking).

Next, check for good ground, Here's a video for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dql0Uu8-SNk

don't know about the 2010, but the 99-02 had switches (the one on the dash) where the soldering would go bad.

There's your start and bump to the top...maybe more will chime in with greater knowledge than mine.
MacQ
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Feb 20 2021, 2:06pm

The set up on the 2010's is totally different that the older trucks. Those old buttons were junk. The dial in the 2010 is pretty solid. I did have this happen on mine occasionally, and never did figure out why. I'd occasionally pull the negative battery terminal, and it would clear the error and everything would work normally. I always thought it had something to do with my Range AFM tool, but never confirmed that. For me it was more of an annoyance than an actual "problem".
NEW: 2021 Silverado LT Z71, 5.3L, Katzkin leather, soft tonneau, bedliner
OLD: 2010 Sierra All Terrain, 5.3L, Range AFM delete, 2.5" level lift, Grenade XD wheels, 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 152
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2021
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L 8 Speed
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby 1999 [OP] » Feb 20 2021, 3:18pm

I can turn the knob to 4wd hi and can here the actuator moving, and turn it back to 2wdhi and here it turning again, but it kicks that service 4wd message on and wont ever actually engage in 4wd..but like i said, i can hear it trying..
Original Poster
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby vpasla1 » Feb 20 2021, 4:13pm

Have you ever changed the fluid in your front differential? If not, it's probably gunked up and needs to be cleaned and changed.

It could be related to temperature change as well. When it's colder, it's thicker so it won't engage, and when it's a little warmer there's barely enough lubrication that it works.

I would start with the fluid, as you said you hear it trying to engage.
vpasla1
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2013
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1999 [OP] » Feb 20 2021, 11:30pm

yes i have changed it not long ago, and it was pretty clean when i changed it. So 4 days ago when it wouldnt engage, i crawled under it and unplugged the actuator thats on the front of the front diff and plugged it back in, then tried it again and it worked and worked for the next 2 days. Then like stated above, i go to use it yeterday and once again the service 4wd message came on and woulndt engage. went out this morning, same thing, service 4wd message but like i said, i could here it trying. SO again, i crawled under it and unplugged it and plugged it back in and its now working again.. very strange..the plug looks totally fine, so i dont know why unplugging it and plugging it back in makes it work for a while..
Original Poster
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilmarilS » Feb 20 2021, 11:34pm

My Range device heck the 4x4 once every 2 years in average on my 2013...

EKinMN wrote:The set up on the 2010's is totally different that the older trucks. Those old buttons were junk. The dial in the 2010 is pretty solid. I did have this happen on mine occasionally, and never did figure out why. I'd occasionally pull the negative battery terminal, and it would clear the error and everything would work normally. I always thought it had something to do with my Range AFM tool, but never confirmed that. For me it was more of an annoyance than an actual "problem".
SilmarilS
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 Ext.Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1999 [OP] » Feb 23 2021, 1:29am

I dont have a range anymore but i have a Lewtune..wonder if it would be messing with it?
Original Poster
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1999 [OP] » Feb 27 2021, 3:24am

Turns out it was the actuator on the front differential. all fixed.
Thanks!
Original Poster
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain