Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Transfer case issue?

578 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  esox07 
#1 ·
2009 Silverado 1500 w/ 5.3 flex
114k miles

Yesterday I was about to get in the highway when my truck suddenly seemed to have gone into neutral. Got out to see if I had maybe sprung a leak or something but no fluids were present. I managed to get it into a nearby gas station where I could better ascertain what was going on. The truck will occasionally go into gear, but once you've slowed down to the point of stopping it's back in neutral. I had it towed home as it was after 5pm. It drove through the NE blizzard recently and saw use of both 4hi and 4lo but no abnormal driving happened in those gears. It will occasionally show service 4 wheel drive, but my OBDII doesn't show a code. I know some wont pick up every code though. There is no mechanical (clunking/grinding) noise underneath, though there is a noise that I can't quite describe.

I'm unsure of how to proceed to be honest, my next guesses are a bad transfer case motor or shift accuator. Anybody else ever encounter/hear of this?

#3 ·
Is your truck doing this only when in 4wd or 2HI? If it is doing it in 2HI, it seems to me that it would have to be a transmission or rear end issue.

Oh, and only under very limited conditions would have used 4LO? Were you stuck or something? Otherwise, trying to drive in 4LO on regular roads, even snow covered, would not be what 4LO was designed for. If you actually mean 4AUTO, then that is fine.

#4 ·
esox07 said:
Is your truck doing this only when in 4wd or 2HI? If it is doing it in 2HI, it seems to me that it would have to be a transmission or rear end issue.

Oh, and only under very limited conditions would have used 4LO? Were you stuck or something? Otherwise, trying to drive in 4LO on regular roads, even snow covered, would not be what 4LO was designed for. If you actually mean 4AUTO, then that is fine.
Yeah, 4lo was just backing out of my driveway <5mph then went to auto. This is happening in all gears, though interestingly if I remove the power train relay or the TREC fuse and put them back in, it will shift into gear every single time for 3-4 runs back and forth in the driveway, where it will then seemingly fall back into a neutral position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.