jQuery not supported.

Transfer case or rear end knocking?

Transfer case or rear end knocking?

Postby hazegray1 [OP] » Apr 28 2014, 5:10pm

I have a 2004 Silverado 2500hd 4x4, 6.0l and I can't find the source of a knocking/grinding noise under the truck, sound like a diesel going down the highway. It only does it under load, not coasting.

I put the truck on jack stands (heavy duty type) and had my wife idle the truck up to 25 mph. I can hear a rasping knocking noise from either the rear end or the transfer case (afraid to get under the truck to hear the transfer case!).

Anyway, my plans are to remove the driveshaft and put it in gear (while still on jack stands) and source the noise from there. My question, finally, is it advisable to idle the truck like this with the driveshaft removed?
Original Poster
hazegray1
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Re: Transfer case or rear end knocking?

Postby Hazegray » Apr 29 2014, 1:46am

Well I took the driveshaft off, put it in drive...no noise from the transfer case.

So I reconnected the driveshaft and put it in gear again with the tires spinning. Then comes that horrible grinding sound..like a large stone being drug across concrete. I just can't pinpoint the sound since it reverberates throughout the rear housing.
Hazegray
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: hd 2500 6.0l v8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby salopeck65 » Apr 29 2014, 1:59am

How do your U-Joints look? I have found shot U-Joints create one hell of a noise under acceleration. Just a starting point. Have you removed your rear diff cover? Another thing it could be is a pinion bearing. To check this use a stethoscope(or screwdriver) while having the rear axel on jack stands. put truck in drive.. and speed up to about 35mph. use stethoscope or screw driver and feel the differential (right after the driveshaft) is you feel grinding its the bearing.
salopeck65
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 4.8l WT
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Hazegray » Apr 29 2014, 4:25am

I replaced the u-joints about 4 months ago so that can't be it. I'm hoping it's axle bearing (something I can do). I'll continue investigating tomorrow after work...
Hazegray
Topics: 2
Extra Info: hd 2500 6.0l v8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby hazegray1 [OP] » Apr 30 2014, 3:18pm

I took the truck to one of the local 4x4 repairs shops yesterday. They quoted me $800 for replacing the carrier bearings/Pinion bearings..not to include other "damaged" parts.

I know O'Reilly's Auto parts carries a complete rebuilt rear end for around $1,000 http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/searc ... vi=1424124

I'm wondering if getting a complete rear axle assembly is worth it vice a unknown junkyard part?
Original Poster
hazegray1
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Apr 30 2014, 3:54pm

Do the junk yard route, the rebuilt one will probably only have had the worn part replaced and not much else.
wildchevy
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 1960
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby hazegray1 [OP] » Apr 30 2014, 7:50pm

Yeah, I read that too..."only replace worn parts". I think I'll go through the local junkyards this weekend...
Original Poster
hazegray1
Group Membership:
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Postby hazegray1 [OP] » May 02 2014, 2:51pm

Checked with the local junkyards and they want up to $900 for a used unit, unknown mileage. I'm going with the O'Reilly's unit with a three year warranty..
Original Poster
hazegray1
Group Membership:
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain