jQuery not supported.

Transmission Dipstick Reading

Transmission Dipstick Reading

Postby SMOKEEATERFF [OP] » Mar 30 2020, 2:00pm

I changed the transmission fluid in my 2012 Silverado 2500 gas burner this weekend. I didn’t have anything to measure how much I pulled out when I drained it. I added fluid back and now I can’t get a good reading on the dipstick. I followed the manual for cold and hot operations. I could only get it up to 152 degrees which I figured was close enough for the hot check. When I pulled the dipstick it was low for the hot check on the side you read but looked high on the backside. It was very difficult to read. I finally got it to the cross hatch on the side you read and stopped there as I didn’t want to over fill it until I got some advise from you guys.
Original Poster
SMOKEEATERFF
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE Crew Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Transmission Dipstick Reading

Postby DrPepper » Mar 30 2020, 2:16pm

Clean the dip stick w/ 0000 steel wool. The metal is too smooth and slick for the oil to adhere to and read.
1981 Camaro Z28
2015 Silverado LTZ 3500HD Duramax 6.6L CC DRW
DrPepper
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 3500HD Duramax 6.6L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Transmission Dipstick Reading

Postby SMOKEEATERFF [OP] » Mar 30 2020, 2:18pm

Okay I’ll give that a try. It was very frustrating after changing the rear end, transfer case and the front axle fluids. They went pretty good except for the paper gasket on the rear end. Had to scrape it off with a razor blade.
Original Poster
SMOKEEATERFF
Topics: 14
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE Crew Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain