jQuery not supported.

Transmission does not shift into drive...sometimes

Transmission does not shift into drive...sometimes

Postby jdavila [OP] » Nov 06 2013, 4:26am

Alright guys,

Truck specifics: 2004 Silverado 1500 z71 crewcab 4l60e tranny with 110k miles

So Ive tried researching but can't really seem to find an answer to my transmission issue. Heres my issue: This doesn't happen all the time, really Ive only had this happen when the truck is at operating temperature. When I shift directly into DRIVE it wont go, nor does 3, 2, and 1. Reverse is fine, have not had a problem with reverse yet. But when I shift slow, reverse.....neutral......drive, its fine. Seems like something isn't catching. Fluid is good. Ive read things about "linkage"or something, but I want to figure all angles on this before I start throwing wrenches around. :?

I bought the truck about 2 months ago with 107k miles, not sure how long ago the previous owner did a transmission flush or if one has even been done at all :|

thanks for all your input guys!
Original Poster
jdavila
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Crew Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Transmission does not shift into drive...sometimes

Postby djlove » Nov 06 2013, 4:39am

What are the symptoms? Does it feel like the pressure isn't building?

My impala did that when I was in grad school, usually when it was warm and I would reverse and then go into drive and it wouldn't shift it would just kind of rev up. I pulled out the solenoids and replaced which was really time consuming on a fwd but never had another issue

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
djlove
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby jdavila [OP] » Nov 06 2013, 5:06am

When it does not engage in drive, it revs and acts normal. Once when it didnt engage, it took about 15-20 secs and then just suddenly kicked into drive.
Original Poster
jdavila
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 Crew Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby djlove » Nov 06 2013, 6:46am

That sounds alot like a solenoid

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
djlove
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain