jQuery not supported.

Transmission temp?

What’s considered too hot? 14 Silverado

Transmission temp?

Postby vdubcub81 [OP] » Jun 27 2018, 9:20am

So while idling in 87 degree weather in traffic on a mountain pass I noticed my transmission fluid temperature got up 212 degrees before starting to come down. I wasn’t towing or hauling anything. Trans normally runs around 190 up to 200 sometimes under normal conditions. Cause for concern? I recently had a leak in the engine oil cooler line replaced? Could this impact trans temp? There must be a trans oil cooler line too? Thanx!
Original Poster
vdubcub81
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LTZ Z71 Double Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Transmission temp?

Postby A W Warn » Jun 27 2018, 10:58am

I think that temperature could be normal if you were climbing the mountain.
In my 2014 with the max trailering package, I normally see around 185-190F not towing on flat ground.
I've seen 230-235F while towing my 6,000 lb trailer up a 5% grade.

There have been a few threads where this has been discussed, along with "what temperature will trans fluid degrade".
The fluid is designed to go above 250F, so no worries about that.
The main concern I would have is: Has the fluid been changed on the recommended maintenance schedule?
Alan
2014 Silverado 1500 Crew 5.3L 3:73 LTZ 4x4 Max Trailering Package
A W Warn
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: LTZCrew5.3MaxTrailer
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jun 27 2018, 11:52am

fyi..........

In the February 2011 issue of Trailer Life magazine RV Clinic in response to a reader about the maximum transmission temperature allowed in a 2009 Chevy Silverado, the Tech Team had this response.

“General Motors’ in-house towing team expert provided RV Clinic with this statement: The maximum allowable automatic transmission fluid temperature is dictated by the transmission oil itself. The oil begins to degrade significantly above 270 degrees Fahrenheit, so we design vehicles so that in all but the most extreme conditions, the fluid temperature in the transmission sump stays below 270 degrees F.

We allow for up to 285 degrees F in extreme conditions (i.e. towing a trailer with combination loaded at GCWR in Death Valley). But for customer usage anywhere else in the country, even at GCWR, transmission sump temperature should stay well below 270 degrees F. Above this point, certain internal components, such as seals, begin to disintegrate rather quickly. Although newer synthetic fluids can withstand higher temperatures we still recommend this (270F) as a maximum temperature. "

:idea: :arrow: Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

►JOIN AMSOIL

My_Fleet
2021 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L Ultimate
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
Z15
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 249
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2021
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby vdubcub81 [OP] » Jun 27 2018, 6:55pm

Most of the posts on this issue are almost a decade old, or don't pertain to my model. I had the trans fluid and filter changed at 60k miles. 90k is what's called for under normal conditions but that seems excessive. I do plenty of city driving. Regardless, I appreciate your insight abd the numbers you gave me make me feel better lol.
Original Poster
vdubcub81
Topics: 25
Extra Info: LTZ Z71 Double Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CKNSLS » Jun 27 2018, 8:10pm

Your right about the info. The transmission fluid in the last ten years has only gotten better at higher temps and longer drain intervals.

The posted sighted (by Z15) about it being able to handle 270 degrees (it's higher than that actually) is indeed accurate.

I pulled a 5,000 pound travel trailer cost to cost-hit 50,000 miles and drained the fluid and it still looked good. Of course-the only way to know for is to run a UOA-which I didn't do.
CKNSLS
Topics: 32
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2018
Extra Info: 5.3 Crew Cab LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain