jQuery not supported.

2000 Silverado Fuel Pump Replacement

Seeking input on technique(s) to employ in replacing the pump, and general helpful information
Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

2000 Silverado Fuel Pump Replacement

Postby Popsslowdog [OP] » Nov 06 2013, 7:05pm

I have read extensively here on this subject and I am seeking input from those who can provide helpful information. I have also followed several links in the forum to videos on youtube concerning the different methods used to replace the fuel pump on my truck. Here is a short description on what I plan to do. Any and all input from others is appreciated.

I have ordered an AC Delco MU1614 fuel pump on EBAY, delivery next week. I have also purchased a fuel pressure regulator, and a new fuel filter (Delco) from OReilly's.

I am really looking for reccomendations on the bed removal method(s) for replacement of the pump versus dropping the tank. I have used my transmission jack-and before that a floor jack-for this job on other vehicles. I have read here and watched video of a couple of people removing the truck bed to gain access to the tank. I do not have a way to lift the bed other than by hand, and am inclined to try the tip-the -bed method.

Has anyone tried using an engine hoist to lift the bed, and if so, what were your experiences?

I would appreciate your input> Thanks in advance.
Original Poster
Popsslowdog
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 3500HD Duramax 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2000 Silverado Fuel Pump Replacement

Postby djlove » Nov 06 2013, 7:55pm

What about a tree and some rope?
djlove
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby gmcultr » Nov 06 2013, 8:22pm

Ive seen people on here tip the bed... I didnt want to risk it so I had some guys help me... stepsides are fragile.... wasn't looking to bust a fender

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

• 2001 Sierra HT 4.8
  • OEM Style Electric Fans
  • Oversized Radiator
  • Airaid MIT
  • Jasper Transmission
  • Custom Tuned
gmcultr
Contributor
Contributor
Topics: 48
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby Popsslowdog [OP] » Nov 06 2013, 9:32pm

Hey dj, sounds like a rig. I do have a rope that will work. yessir GM, I am leaning on just getting a couple of guys to help me set it off on sawhorses. I was wondering about a portable engine hoist, I have one with a long lift arm that I used to take out my jetboat motor years ago. However it is in storage 300 miles from here. I could rent one if I was confident it would work. THANKS!
Original Poster
Popsslowdog
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby djlove » Nov 06 2013, 10:34pm

Or even the rafters of your garage, you could just lift it up enough to pull the truck out and put the new pump in and the back it back up under the bed and bolt it back on.

on second thought, does it even drive? guess i really didnt think that through.
djlove
Topics: 24
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Popsslowdog [OP] » Nov 07 2013, 12:18am

Thanks DJ. I also am thinking a straight-up lift off is better than a tip-up. My Garage rafters are not exposed and I would have to rent or buy a Chain Fall anyway to do that. I may check in to that at Harbor Freight.!

Yes truck is running still, probably not much longer.
Original Poster
Popsslowdog
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby shooter56 » Nov 07 2013, 12:52am

I like my method. 4 straps hooked to the rings in the corners of the bed. 1 engine lifter. 1 3" ring. I hook the 4 straps to the ring on the lift. Pump up the lift take off the bed. I used this to take beds off of all the truck I had. 1 guy can do the job.
White,03 silverado 2500hd 4x4
shooter56
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 62
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 93ta » Nov 07 2013, 1:07am

if your bed/truck is rough pull the bed by hand, w/ 3 buddies(one of your at each corner)... if your truck is in nice shape, drop the tank. i changed mine last winter in the driveway alone by dropping the tank, two jacks and 2 jack stands are all you need. you can pump all the fuel out by jumping the fuel pump at the relay box under the hood. the hardest part is getting the fuel filler hose on and off. everyone i know that pulled the bed at home ends up at least putting one ding/scratch in it, usually more.
93ta
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Year: 2013
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Popsslowdog [OP] » Nov 07 2013, 2:35am

Shooter that is the method I was wondering if anyone had used. If I can find a long arm engine hoist to rent I might try your way. I have a good hoist in storage, but it will take $150 in gas to get it back here.

Good dpoint 93, my car is a little rough but I don't want to make it any worse. I'll tape off the corners if I use the top off method. I have everything I need to get it out by dropping the tank-EXCEPT I wasn't really looking forward to another job like this from on my back looking up if you know what I mean.

Thanks again guys.
Original Poster
Popsslowdog
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chriscat » Nov 07 2013, 2:48am

I don't blame you for not wanting to lay on your back to replace something like this. Years ago I wouldn't hesitate.
chriscat
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics