jQuery not supported.

2001 GMC Sierra SLE fuel pump?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Re: 2001 GMC Sierra SLE fuel pump?

Postby 1baddad [OP] » Mar 17 2013, 5:15am

He has a wild hair now. He watched a YouTube video where someone measured and cut a hole in the bed to access the fuel pump. Actually I watched it and it was a cool idea if you have the guts. Me? I prefer not to chop things up. He did put hinges on it and then covered it with his bed liner. I cringe at the thought.
Original Poster
1baddad
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 45
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilveradoZRV » Mar 17 2013, 5:22am

Yeah, I'd tell him to put the sawzall down for the night and just drop the tank tomorrow. If he's got a couple of buddies who can come over it shouldnt take them more than an hour or so to undo the two bolts holding the tank straps and lower it down using man strength check the wires and lift it back up.
SilveradoZRV
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 30
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 1500 LT Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby gmcultr » Mar 17 2013, 6:05am

You two boyscouts man up and pull the bed. You only have to move it back about 8 inches its just 8 bolts to remove. Can be changed at full tank this way. Remember to unplug the light harness under the rear end also. Its easy. Me and my buddy moved my bed and set it on my bumper and rear tires.

• 2001 Sierra HT 4.8
  • OEM Style Electric Fans
  • Oversized Radiator
  • Airaid MIT
  • Jasper Transmission
  • Custom Tuned
gmcultr
Contributor
Contributor
Topics: 48
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby 1baddad [OP] » Mar 17 2013, 8:07am

Yeah, I convinced him the saw is not the best idea. Since you could possibly cut some wires or even a gas line.
@ GMCultr. i think I have changed more than one fuel pump in my 50 yrs. I prefer to take the bed bolts loose and just hook the bed to the hoist straps I made and roll out from under it. Gives me a chance to look things over and maybe find a few more things to fix while I have it off.
Due to my work schedule he might be doing this one on his own, so all I can do is armchair mechanic over the phone. LOL
Original Poster
1baddad
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby gmcultr » Mar 17 2013, 2:12pm

1baddad wrote:I prefer to take the bed bolts loose and just hook the bed to the hoist straps I made and roll out from under it.

+1

I had the problem where I had to prime the truck, key on and off several times before start... and my fuel gauge would stick or randomly say empty. Replaced sending unit with an airtex from partsgeek all problems solved. I personally like the airtex pumps. Same pump they sell at autozone but for half price @partsgeek.

To expand on my earlier tip. If he can get a flashlight and extension mirror and be under the wheelwell if it has a black connection block on top then its got two plugs. The single plug only has a white connection block... nothing black on top

• 2001 Sierra HT 4.8
  • OEM Style Electric Fans
  • Oversized Radiator
  • Airaid MIT
  • Jasper Transmission
  • Custom Tuned
gmcultr
Contributor
Contributor
Topics: 48
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby 1baddad [OP] » Mar 18 2013, 12:41am

I told him to buy some straps and hoist it... This video is exactly how I've always removed beds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWAwEUgz3PI

He has a friend who got him one for less than 100.00 after a discount. He said it was DELPHI
Original Poster
1baddad
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1baddad [OP] » Apr 27 2013, 7:04am

Okay fuel pump was a snap but now he's getting the dreaded P0440 which did not start until after the new fuel pump. We replaced the purge valve and after installing it the purge valve started making a tapping noise (not constantly) so I assume that's normal and it was just doing it's job. My question is should that thing be lose or snug?
After snugging the bolt down you can still move it around?

We have removed the bed twice checked and rechecked the connections and it all looks great but still that P0440.
That bolt has a set groove to stop it from tightening any further.
Attachments
photo.JPG
Original Poster
1baddad
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2003Z71 » May 04 2013, 1:07am

That's interesting. My 2003 Silverado just started setting a P0442 code about 3 weeks ago out of the blue. My valve was rather loose and I was frustrated that I couldn't get the purge valve any tighter too, I used a thin washer under the head of the bolt to tighten it up a bit. As an update, I just pulled the entire top end of my engine down, short of the heads, to fix oil leaks. I cleaned everything up like brand new with new seals on every part. Today was first day I have driven my truck in about a week, and no code yet, but sometimes it takes 10 -12 days to reset, so we'll see. Let me know if you find out another cause of the code.
Recon LED cab lights*AirLift Bags/Comp*Edelbrock IAS Shocks*ReadyLift Leveling Kit*aFe CAI*Iron Cross Bars*Smittybilt Bumper Guard*MagnaFlow Cat Back*BFG A/T KO2*
2003Z71
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 52
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3L RegCab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1baddad [OP] » May 04 2013, 1:31am

Well after replacing the valve the light was off for three days and its back on. We have not yet located the issue. He installed a new fuel pump and then we started getting the code. Before that he had none. We checked all fuel lines from the pump to the engine and still no solution.
Original Poster
1baddad
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics