jQuery not supported.

2014 rear defrost caught fire then shattered glass

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Re: 2014 rear defrost caught fire then shattered glass

Postby SierraHarley » Feb 23 2021, 12:27am

Jm91rs wrote:No updates on this as my father in law is out of town, but a quick google search shows me that this has happened on plenty of other trucks and so far the GM official fix is to remove the fuse powering the rear defrost.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/gm-r ... ire-risks/

Canada already has a recall, nothing for the US, which is mind boggling unless they were made in a different plant and use different parts.

Does he have a power sliding rear window like that article mentions?

17x9 +12 Vision Manic wheels * BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X Premium* DD SL1 headlights * E2 catch can * GMC floor liners
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Hep » Feb 23 2021, 1:03am

Jm91rs wrote:No updates on this as my father in law is out of town, but a quick google search shows me that this has happened on plenty of other trucks and so far the GM official fix is to remove the fuse powering the rear defrost.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/gm-r ... ire-risks/

Canada already has a recall, nothing for the US, which is mind boggling unless they were made in a different plant and use different parts.

That's what they contacted me about. I have no idea why or how I got picked out but that's what I was contacted about. Ill have to dig around for the paperwork. They had me take it in and they "supposedly" replaced the part. lol
DiabLew Tune, CST 4.5", CST Coilovers, Zone add a leaf, Hostile Jigsaw 20x10 -19, Duratrac 33x12.5, BakFlip G2, McNally Catch Can, Carven Exhaust, Amp Power steps, Sig by Nealinator!....
Hep
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Midnight Edition LTZ
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Hep » Feb 23 2021, 1:39am

I couldn't find the original letter but I found the service letter. Almost a year to the day. I took it in 2-25-20. It just says "N192265660 Rear Window Defroster Thermal Even No Heat Damage, No Terminal Damage, Replaced BUS Bar Covers and Terminal cover" So, I got new covers, problem solved :lol:
DiabLew Tune, CST 4.5", CST Coilovers, Zone add a leaf, Hostile Jigsaw 20x10 -19, Duratrac 33x12.5, BakFlip G2, McNally Catch Can, Carven Exhaust, Amp Power steps, Sig by Nealinator!....
Hep
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby jrabenaldt » Feb 23 2021, 1:43am

All that I have read about is for the sliding glass windows or at least those were the threads I paid attention to since mine is a sliding glass.
2016 Denali, 6.2, 4x4 w/ 6" Fabtech on 35" RG's.
jrabenaldt
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hep » Feb 23 2021, 1:47am

Mine is a power sliding rear window too
Hep
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby helicopter » Feb 23 2021, 3:58am

The exact same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. I was baffled til this post. Thanks all!
2014 Silverado LTZ. Sweet 6.2! DiabLew tune. K/N CAI and GM Performance Exhaust.
helicopter
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2014
Variant: LTZ
Extra Info: 1500 EXT CAB 6.2L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jm91rs [OP] » Feb 25 2021, 4:03pm

Yes he also has the power slider. I'm assuming based on the reading I've done that the extreme cold spell we had here is what finally sent this one over the edge. He's having all work done at a dealer in the hopes that it'll be easier to get a refund if GM ever recalls it here.
Original Poster
Jm91rs
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2010
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics