jQuery not supported.

Anyone in the VA Beach area have scan tool I can borrow?

Need to reset fuel composition reading
Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Anyone in the VA Beach area have scan tool I can borrow?

Postby BowDownBowser [OP] » Nov 21 2016, 8:10pm

Please delete this post if not allowed
I am having an issue with inaccurate fuel composition reading and need to reset it to see if it will bring my fuel trim back into acceptable range, but I don't have a scanner that can reset things like that.
Original Poster
BowDownBowser
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500NNBS FF 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Anyone in the VA Beach area have scan tool I can borrow?

Postby esox07 » Nov 21 2016, 10:15pm

I understand not wanting to invest in a scanner. But you have two realistic choices besides someone loaning you their scanner.
1. Drive to an auto parts store and ask them to scan it. They may or many not be able or willing to check things like fuel trims however.
2. Buy a cheap OBD2 bluetooth dongle and download Torque for Android and for $15 you have a code reader that will scan and clear codes and display a hundred other real time readings to include fuel trims. You can get the OBD2 dongles on amazon.com. The ones with ELM327 chip sets are the ones you want.

This is a very popular one: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34 ... afx+elm327

And this one is less expensive and others on the forum have had good luck with it: https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluetoot ... +bluetooth
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 286
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Re: Anyone in the VA Beach area have scan tool I can borrow?

Postby BowDownBowser [OP] » Nov 21 2016, 10:21pm

esox07 wrote:I understand not wanting to invest in a scanner. But you have two realistic choices besides someone loaning you their scanner.
1. Drive to an auto parts store and ask them to scan it. They may or many not be able or willing to check things like fuel trims however.
2. Buy a cheap OBD2 bluetooth dongle and download Torque for Android and for $15 you have a code reader that will scan and clear codes and display a hundred other real time readings to include fuel trims. You can get the OBD2 dongles on amazon.com. The ones with ELM327 chip sets are the ones you want.

This is a very popular one: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34 ... afx+elm327

And this one is less expensive and others on the forum have had good luck with it: https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluetoot ... +bluetooth

Thanks, but I already have an ELM 327 scanner and use multiple scanning apps to see codes and parameters depending on what I'm looking for. What I need is a scanner that can clear this specific readout, which would be something like a GM Tech 2 scanner or better, which is a much bigger investment than a normal code reader. I have already checked all of the parts stores and none can do anything more than read and clear DTC's. I have also been to various shops to see if they could clear it and they all want to charge diagnostic fee's to clear what I already know and will take five minutes so I'm just trying to see if there is a better option. I do appreciate the input though I probably shouldve written the original post to be more clear to what I am looking for.
Original Poster
BowDownBowser
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500NNBS FF 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics