jQuery not supported.

Backing a Trailer on Packed Snow

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Backing a Trailer on Packed Snow

Postby MacQ [OP] » Dec 02 2019, 5:31pm

So I "officially" volunteered to haul equipment for a local school group going to their state finals this week. I'm to drive the school's 1500 pickup and tow a 10' enclosed trailer. No big deal.

So I have to go on a check ride since I've never driven for the school before. OK, SOP in any professional driving job. I get down to the school this morning for the scheduled check ride and am told that they can't do it today because one can't back a trailer on packed snow. Really?

Been driving big trucks (semi trucks) for the past 46 years and that's the first time I've ever heard that excuse! Sheez.....
Original Poster
MacQ
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Backing a Trailer on Packed Snow

Postby roorancher » Dec 02 2019, 5:55pm

Leftist government operatives taking care of/protecting you and telling you what to do!!!

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

85,100 as of 12/1/19

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker

Diablew Tune

Security by Rock Island Armory
roorancher
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 61
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Dec 02 2019, 7:17pm

maybe THEY cant but I would have to prove them wrong... unfortunately they probably wouldn't let you do that either. I call BS on it
Bradley21sanders
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jake2250 » Dec 02 2019, 7:55pm

So, do you have to wait until spring? Second is, does the check off person have an endorsement to do check offs? If you have a CDL and have over the road experience, then you probably have more experience than the check off driver!
But yeah, its SOP.
jake2250
First Responder
First Responder
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
First Responders

Postby Drolds72 » Dec 02 2019, 8:08pm

show up with your rig, and back it in right next to the 10' trailer!
Drolds72
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: White Crew LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Capt Hoss » Dec 02 2019, 8:23pm

People today are so sheltered from life. Most of the people in the country can't drive anything other than an automatic, Lord have mercy I learned to drive a 3 on the tree in an old tow truck. That's after learning to drive any kind of farm equipment we had. Most of the world can't back up a trailer in an empty parking lot. It is scary what panty waist people are becoming now a days.
Capt Hoss
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2014
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: Crew Cab 6.2L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MacQ [OP] » Dec 03 2019, 12:00am

jake2250 wrote:So, do you have to wait until spring? Second is, does the check off person have an endorsement to do check offs? If you have a CDL and have over the road experience, then you probably have more experience than the check off driver!
But yeah, its SOP.

I think she has a Class B CDL, P Endorsement, and School Bus Certification and I think she's state certified to do check rides in school buses. I've had a Class A license for 46 years and grandfathered-in when the CDL's came out. Tankers, Doubles/Triples, and Passenger Endorsements (let my HAZMAT lapse years ago). Pulled dry van, reefers, tanks, pneumatic tanks, flatbeds, hopper bottoms, belly dumps, specialty trailers, drove motor coaches (think Greyhound type bus), and school buses.

The only challenge with a 10' trailer will be the quick response time while backing. I can never be in a hurry while backing a little trailer or they get away from me real quick! LOL
Original Poster
MacQ
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby TheMightyWhitey » Dec 03 2019, 12:36am

I'd wouldn't be able to work for 3-4 months of the year if she was my boss. I drive a "work" trailer most everyday of the week...............and "back in" at most every stop!!!! :roll: :o
MAGA
TheMightyWhitey
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 42
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2016
Variant: Hybrid
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jake2250 » Dec 03 2019, 1:05am

.[/quote]

I think she has a Class B CDL, P Endorsement, and School Bus Certification and I think she's state certified to do check rides in school buses. I've had a Class A license for 46 years and grandfathered-in when the CDL's came out. Tankers, Doubles/Triples, and Passenger Endorsements (let my HAZMAT lapse years ago). Pulled dry van, reefers, tanks, pneumatic tanks, flatbeds, hopper bottoms, belly dumps, specialty trailers, drove motor coaches (think Greyhound type bus), and school buses.

The only challenge with a 10' trailer will be the quick response time while backing. I can never be in a hurry while backing a little trailer or they get away from me real quick! LOL[/quote]

I hear ya. Have had mine for over 30 years with all the bells and whistles attached, 15 years ago my Department sent me to DMV school to be DL170 certified (Class A instructor) and certified in power pallet and all fork lift classes.
Only reason I mentioned that was I have been challenged as to my certs after not passing a few drivers. Very strict regulations for Class A certification by Non DMV employees. Annually DMV will randomly pull files of drivers I passed and do a complete investigation of them. If they find anything questionable they can pull ALL the licenses I issued for as long as they have that license!
Next year I will have to drop my class A and endorsements due to medical issues.I am only 60, but eyes and blood pressure are the key factors.
Been retired for a few years now so I just don't have the need for that anymore,,,gonna miss it though.
Good luck I am sure you will not have any issues, Like you said slow and small adjustments will get 'er done. Kind of like backing up those 27 foot Pup trailers as opposed to a 58' van.
jake2250
First Responder
First Responder
Topics: 17
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
First Responders

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Dec 03 2019, 1:23am

TheMightyWhitey wrote:I drive a "work" trailer most everyday of the week..... :roll: :o

How do you drive trailer? Asking for a friend.
Tracy likes to be man-handled
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 300
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...usually in the form of a tornado.
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Sounds fast
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen
Next

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics