jQuery not supported.

Debating Going Back to Diesel...

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Debating Going Back to Diesel...

Postby a.burkins2010 [OP] » Jul 12 2014, 1:44pm

I have been searching and researching the cost difference between my 2012 1500 5.3 4x4 gas Silverado and either a 06 and up Duramax or a *cough* Cummins. I came from an old 1997 12 valve manual cummins and it had gobs of power while still averaging 18.5 mpg. My truck is running premium at 4.19 / gal and for the past several months diesel has been 3.79. its been averaging about 8 to 12 cents more than regular. I drive about 30k a year and need 4x4. I cant fully decide because maintenance is higher but i can do most myself but i can have gobs more torque and easily be just as fast as my gas without sucking all the fuel. What do you guys and gals think? Should I keep my gas 1500 or should I go back to diesel? Like I stated I drive about 30k a year, need 4x4, tow but I have access to a 2500 for my bigger pulls when necessary. Any input is appreciated. Thanks Everyone!
'12 5.3L 4x4, 265/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT/3, K&N CAI, SS Dynatech LT headers and catted-Y, SS Corsa cat back, Comp Cams 210/224, DOD/AFM Delete, P&P Heads, Yukon 4.11s, Detroit Truetrac, HP tuners (Tuned by Complete Street Performance).
Original Poster
a.burkins2010
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Debating Going Back to Diesel...

Postby Copperhead » Jul 12 2014, 1:57pm

Diesel has been dropping as gas has been rising for the last few months. But you know that prices fluctuate all the time. If the cost to fuel is your major motivation, you should forget making the move. A few years ago, diesel easily busted $5 a gallon in many places. And since it is a global market for fuels, it doesn't take much for the dynamics to change drastically.

I have to buy over 20,000 gallons of diesel a year for my business and deal with this probably more than most here. Diesel has it's place in the scheme of things, but the price of fuel can only be a part of the equation when one is looking to buy a diesel or go back. If price of fuel is the major motivator, then take a look at CNG or propane also. Even heavy commercial trucking operations are moving some of their stuff over to LNG and CNG. It is viable, and very cost effective if you have fueling points in your area, which the numbers are increasing every week.
Last edited by Copperhead on Jul 12 2014, 2:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom is not having the choice to do what you want, but the choice to do what you ought.
Copperhead
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 38
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 2500HD LT Z71 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby a.burkins2010 [OP] » Jul 12 2014, 2:08pm

Yes i remember it was very high in my area a few years back. Im honestly not to sure what the total cost of ownership difference is between the two. I know that right now i average like 13.5 and my other truck was averaging 18.5. My trucks get used as a truck but since i have made the choice to only own one vehicle I have a decent looking truck and enjoy gobs of power (I never drove my car lol. who wants to do that?) Fuel is not my main motivator but the cost difference is. I am debating this because there I am beginning to need a crew cab more and more as well as interested in a magnacharger if i keep my truck.
Both sides have people that preach which is better and I have been on Both. I have an almost equal list of pros and cons. Duramax usually left me scratching my head when trying to work on motor of my neighbors but I can tear my entire truck apart no problem.
'12 5.3L 4x4, 265/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT/3, K&N CAI, SS Dynatech LT headers and catted-Y, SS Corsa cat back, Comp Cams 210/224, DOD/AFM Delete, P&P Heads, Yukon 4.11s, Detroit Truetrac, HP tuners (Tuned by Complete Street Performance).
Original Poster
a.burkins2010
Topics: 9
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Copperhead » Jul 12 2014, 2:14pm

Well, you have to factor in the SCR system with having to add DEF to, and the DPF filter that can go goofy, and either of these systems, one can deal with issues under warranty for cost, but the down time may be a real kick in the pants. As Scotty said in one of the Star Trek movies.... "the more complicated you make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain". Unless you have some very keen understanding of dealing with SCR and DPF systems and how you need to operate the diesel to minimize problems, you could be in for some real interesting moments.

Just go into any decision with your eyes wide open.
Freedom is not having the choice to do what you want, but the choice to do what you ought.
Copperhead
Topics: 38
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 2500HD LT Z71 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby KYBuckeye » Jul 12 2014, 9:07pm

It seems as gas prices rise so does the spread between 87 and 93 octane. No longer is it just $0.10 more going up one grade. 93 seems to be kept at a proportional price to 87 so as the cost of 87 rises the actual price difference between it and 93 becomes greater. You could always remove your tune and go back to 87, but that's not the fun answer to this question!

I run 93 in m 1500 too with a custom tune so I feel your pain. My difference is my truck is not my DD.
KYBuckeye
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby richcory » Jul 12 2014, 10:08pm

Like everything in life & as you noted, both sides have pros & cons. Best of luck with your decision.
2017 3500 LTZ Crew Cab 6.6 4x4
2009 LTZ 6.2 - Sold
2006 Extended Cab 5.3HO - Sold
2002 Extended Cab 5.3 - Sold
richcory
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 33
Year: 2017
Extra Info: 17 HD LTZ Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics