jQuery not supported.

detailer guys

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

detailer guys

Postby outdoorlife99 [OP] » Apr 24 2014, 4:50am

Need some advise or what ifs. I just got my long awaited dream truck. I will have to keep it parked outside and it gets hot here in Georgia. Its fire engine red in color and I've heard that's the worst color for quick fading. Its shiny and spotless now (thank goodness). Is there any truth to that? If I keep it waxed and washed will it stay in mint condition (at least till i get tired of cleaning it)? Fortunately, I have already bought a high dollar sun shade for the dash. Thanks!
Original Poster
outdoorlife99
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: detaler guys

Postby silverado9306 » Apr 24 2014, 5:29am

Keep a good coat of wax on it and you'll be fine. I wax my trucks twice a year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2016 Silverado 1500 5.3
RC 2.5 leveling kit, RC light bar, RC step bars
Cooper AT3s on XD Badlands
Black Widow Race Venom
silverado9306
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 42
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Texas Edition
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby wfowler421 » Apr 24 2014, 5:43am

another good thing to do is a get a sealant for it. you cant really find it in stores but you can online, i would say to use chemical guy products to keep it looking its best.
wfowler421
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2011
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RAFFY » Apr 24 2014, 6:17am

After this past weekend I am a HUGE Griots Garage fan boy. You can purchase their products at Advance Auto Parts online and use the 30% off coupon on everything, no exclusions. I would suggest washing the truck in some dawn dish soap (removes the wax), then giving her a nice clay bar, buff and/or polish, sealant, then nice wax. I currently live in Alabama and during the summer I like to wax my trucks every one to two months. In between washes I will now be using Griots Speed Shine after drying as well. In my opinion no color on a vehicle fades faster than another if you take of your vehicle. My 2005 looks just the same as it did in 2005.
2005 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Ext Cab 5.3L 4x4 - SOLD
2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Crew Cab 6.2L AWD - SOLD
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Dbl Cab 6.2L 4x4 - SOLD
2017 Passat R-Line
RAFFY
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 1500 LTZ 6.2L DBL
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BigBlue224x4 » Apr 24 2014, 7:39am

Proper cleaning keeps any car/truck in better shape. I use Collinite No. 476s Super Doublecoat Wax and apply usually every 3-6 months on anything I have owned. This wax is not cheap but it buy far is the best!!!!Keeps the paint looking "factory" fresh!!!!
|2013 RCSB LT4WD 5.3V8|Blue Topaz Metallic|22" Vogue Fuse Wheels|305/40R22|
|Flowmaster Duals with Delta Flow 40 Series Muffler and Chevy Tips|
|Bully Dog Rapid Flow Cold Air Intake|Viper 5904V with Smart Start|
BigBlue224x4
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Regular Cab SB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby outdoorlife99 [OP] » Apr 24 2014, 9:16am

Thanks guys, feel better now. Feared red might have been a curse. Looks like I will be waxing more often
Original Poster
outdoorlife99
Topics: 47
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: detailer guys

Postby ricka182 » Apr 24 2014, 7:37pm

I would recommend a sealant and a wax for maximum protection. The sealant goes on first and cal last up to 9-12 months depending on conditions. After that cures for 12-24 hours, apply a high quality carnuba wax on top. That will last only 3-4 months, but you'll have the sealant behind it to keep it looking good. The wax will also give a much deeper gloss and shine than the sealant, hence using both for the best.

And don't use to Dawn to remove wax. If the wax is old enough, it will come off with a good soapy wash. Plus if you clay bar, and cut and/or polish, that will take any wax remaining off. Dawn can strip more than just wax, and it's also a pain to rinse completely off, especially if it get's in under moldings..

As for brand, you'll get a different answer every you ask. I would say any of the following are good choices, but pick one brand and run with it. I'm not a fan of mixing different product lines.

Meguiars - I use it, love it, and don't see a reason to switch.
Adams
Collinite
Wolfgang
Griots
Chemical Guys
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 183
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2006
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby eaglrvr » Apr 24 2014, 10:57pm

RAFFY wrote:After this past weekend I am a HUGE Griots Garage fan boy. You can purchase their products at Advance Auto Parts online and use the 30% off coupon on everything, no exclusions. I would suggest washing the truck in some dawn dish soap (removes the wax), then giving her a nice clay bar, buff and/or polish, sealant, then nice wax. I currently live in Alabama and during the summer I like to wax my trucks every one to two months. In between washes I will now be using Griots Speed Shine after drying as well. In my opinion no color on a vehicle fades faster than another if you take of your vehicle. My 2005 looks just the same as it did in 2005.

I bought some of the Griots Speed Shine at my local Advance Auto. I like it. They also carry most of the other Griots stuff in the store, clay bar, wax, sealant, tire cleaner and dressing.
eaglrvr
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 6
Year: 2015
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Re: detailer guys

Postby StarsnBars » Apr 24 2014, 11:10pm

Alittle off topic on paint care but trim fades also. I tried this product this weekend. Wow! Amazing stuff. Talk about a deep rich non greasy detail job on trim. I'm sold. Only needed one sponge to do all my trim.
http://www.meguiars.com/m-en/product/11 ... im-sponges
Good information for all:
The SilveradoSierra.com Commandments
StarsnBars
Topics: 250
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: H.D. 2500 Vortec 6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics