jQuery not supported.

Do most dealerships do tune up's with their used vehicles

Tuneup for Used vehicles upon purchase
Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Re: Do most dealerships do tune up's with their used vehicle

Postby Z15 » Mar 31 2015, 6:46pm

My neighbor down the street has a 2006 Silverado K3500 D/A that only has 40,000 miles. He told me the other day he put on only 1,000 miles in the last year. He and his wife have 3 other vehicles, 2 jeeps (1 new SUV) and a Cadi. He wants to sell the Silverado.

I would buy the truck but he wants a lot for it.
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

►JOIN AMSOIL

My_Fleet
2021 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L Ultimate
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
Z15
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 252
Years of membership: 11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Year: 2021
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Alexander.Hovis [OP] » Mar 31 2015, 6:53pm

Z15 wrote:My neighbor down the street has a 2006 Silverado K3500 D/A that only has 40,000 miles. He told me the other day he put on only 1,000 miles in the last year. He and his wife have 3 other vehicles, 2 jeeps (1 new SUV) and a Cadi. He wants to sell the Silverado.

I would but the truck but he expects to get way above book for it.

That's exactly why i think mine was purchased for a specific hauling task since it was custom ordered with the 5.3, Towing Package, and 3.73 gears and no 4WD while everything else was so basic.
2007 Red Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD 5.3L with 3.73 gears
K&N Drop in filter
Airaid MIT
Cherry Bomb Extreme
Diablo Intune
8000k HID's
Footwell and Bed LED Lights

Original Poster
Alexander.Hovis
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 31
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » Apr 01 2015, 12:44pm

The F*** dealer I bought my truck from changed the plugs, wires and belts on it and of course there was new oil in it. It is an 02 and it had 83,000 miles on it so it probably needed them changed. With the low miles on yours I seriously doubt they did anything but change the oil.

17x9 +12 Vision Manic wheels * BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab 2" level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X Premium* DD SL1 headlights * E2 catch can
Retarded driver

Pro Grade or nothin'
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Copperhead » Apr 01 2015, 1:50pm

wildchevy wrote:As far as fluids I put over 200 light duty units in-service every year, most never see a gear oil change unless the need arises to remove the cover like a leaking axle seal in their 200k plus life times. The notion that there is debris in the housing is so 1960's, the manufacturers have cleaned up their processes to the point you get very little loose stuff and what you do get clings to the magnet and is held in a safe place. That said I never saw a axle, transfer case or anything else wear out from over maintenance so if you feel better change everything.

May I challenge that assumption a little? My 2013 1500 as an example. I am one of those that do the early lube changes in the drivetrain. Could never really justify it, but it made me feel good. Now with the 2013 1500, I did the changes. the transfer case fluid looked like something from my septic tank, and the magnetic drain plug had enough metal shavings on it that it looked like someone had stuck my cat's tail in a light socket. And that was at 3000 miles. Changed the fluid, ran it another 5000 miles and changed again to ease my mind. This time, the fluid was normal and the magnetic plug had very little on it. So, the initial wear metal idea was a definitive factor and the change was justified. Either way, it cemented the idea in me that on all vehicles, new or used, I purchase will get total drive train lube changes right away. Getting ready to do my 2015 2500 in then near future. It just turned over 1400 miles.
Freedom is not having the choice to do what you want, but the choice to do what you ought.
Copperhead
Topics: 38
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 2500HD LT Z71 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alexander.Hovis [OP] » Apr 11 2015, 4:38pm

So i checked the magnetic plug on my rear end during the week and there wasn't a whole lot of metal shavings on it just a layer of grease that included some metal shavings.

It looks like it should be fine to go ahead and wait to change.

I pulled one of the spark plugs out today and it looks pretty rough and is rusted. I know spark plugs are supposed to look a little worn out because it's a spark plug. I'm thinking about going ahead and changing them out.

What do you guys think? The burn mark is what worries me. There is also a mark on the top of the plug that makes me think they are factory plugs.

2007 Red Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD 5.3L with 3.73 gears
K&N Drop in filter
Airaid MIT
Cherry Bomb Extreme
Diablo Intune
8000k HID's
Footwell and Bed LED Lights

Original Poster
Alexander.Hovis
Topics: 31
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics