jQuery not supported.

Engine sludge removal

What works?
Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Re: Engine sludge removal

Postby MIKE91B [OP] » Nov 08 2019, 5:00pm

Come on guys. What else do you think might clean this sludge out?
2015 Reg cab, 2wd, 5.3l, On3 single turbo, E85 conversion, 4.10 rear gear, and HP Tuner software.
Original Poster
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Nov 08 2019, 5:19pm

This sounds crazy and pretty much is, and I have only ever done it on motors that were pretty much toast anyway, but it has worked for me before.

Get the gallon size containers of Lucas oil additive (the real thick one) and dump that in the crank case with the old oil out. Then mix a good bit of diesel or kerosene in there. You'll need to figure out the amount to use based on oil capacity. Given the motors I tried it on were 32 quarts and 42 quart capacity, your amounts will definitely vary.

You dont want it too thin, but also want enough of the diesel/kero to be able to get mixed in throughly. I usually mix it so the consistency is that of about a 30 weight oil. Which takes a fair amount of kero since the Lucas starts out so thick.

Then I'll run the motor for a short period, just enough to ket it get up to temp, but not driving it and then drain it out.

I've had that method work pretty good twice. But I made it very clear to the customer it was not the best method and there was a risk of ruining bearings. Since it was either try this or replace/rebuild the motor anyway, they decided to try it.

Now also keep in mind this was on diesel engines, that had been seriously abused and never maintained. But it took the layer of gunk and carbon off the inside of the block and off most of the rotating assembly. Made the engines run smoother and since the one was a HEUI fuel system it actually got some power back surprisingly.

But just something to maybe think about trying. Not sure if it's worth it or would even work in your case. Just be careful not to thin the lucas out too much since the kero obviously doesnt lube bearing very well lol.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 115
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby FoxProDenali » Nov 08 2019, 5:23pm

How does a 2018 engine get ‘sludge’ in it? Someone used fryer oil and margarine instead of motor oil?!

Take the valve covers and oil pain out and clean them with Sea Foam and parts cleaner.
2007 Sierra Denali
Kooks|Corsa|Amp Research|Moto Metal|DiabLew Tune|Vitesse
Build Thread: FoxProDenali's 2007 Sierra - Build, Show, Tell
FoxProDenali
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MIKE91B [OP] » Nov 08 2019, 5:27pm

Great info! I’m going to see how this plays out and report back. This is a wild situation to say the least.
2015 Reg cab, 2wd, 5.3l, On3 single turbo, E85 conversion, 4.10 rear gear, and HP Tuner software.
Original Poster
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby MIKE91B [OP] » Nov 08 2019, 5:28pm

It has never had an oil change since new. Turns out 20,000 miles is the line on dexos engine oil.
Original Poster
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby desertboy13 » Nov 08 2019, 5:52pm

Whoa. So ur saying that the engine had
20k miles only and it never had a oil change, And your thinking about Replacing the Engine. .

I say just do the Amsoil flush and it will be ok...With those kind of miles these engines are still practically new

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
desertboy13
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 8
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MIKE91B [OP] » Nov 08 2019, 5:58pm

Wait until I post the pictures. It fried the oil. This 4.3l takes 6 qts of oil and only two came out. Let’s say it burnt 1 qt over the 20000 miles. That means 3 qts got turned into sludge. It’s like pudding caked on everything. I can’t see the bottom of the valve spring on the head. At least a1/4 inch thick.
Original Poster
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby MIKE91B [OP] » Nov 08 2019, 6:02pm

This is what I’m dealing with.
71B902B1-9D78-4F0B-831B-46AE93A18FC5.jpeg
EB874817-65CB-4EB4-87A3-DDB1B9787706.jpeg
Original Poster
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby jake2250 » Nov 08 2019, 6:18pm

Oh, that sucks!
Amzoil flush, follow directions on label and repeat. Use a reliable filter and repeat. My worry would be using something that would break large chunks of that free and clogging oil passages or bearings. Might take a few times to liquefy that crap up and start flushing it out.
jake2250
First Responder
First Responder
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
First Responders

Postby MIKE91B [OP] » Nov 08 2019, 6:22pm

That’s my thoughts. Kicker is they have 2 free oil changes from GM when they bought the truck.
Original Poster
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics