jQuery not supported.

Hp Tuners-Do i need to know what I'm doing?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Hp Tuners-Do i need to know what I'm doing?

Postby camaro024 [OP] » Jun 09 2016, 4:49am

Right now I have a Hypertech Max Energy programmer which is great but I'm looking to get a little more out of it. I know the HP lets you change more but possibly too much for me. Heres what I'm wanting to do... Ghost cam. Making my truck sound like it has an aftermarket Cam at idle. Its interesting to me. Also gaining a bit of power. At least as much as am getting out of my hypertech, all 10HP/15TQ lol... So main question, do i need to know what I'm doing to use an HP tuner? Or is there something that would work better.
Original Poster
camaro024
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4.8L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Hp Tuners-Do i need to know what I'm doing?

Postby n8dh » Jun 09 2016, 5:14pm

HP Tuners is a software, not a tunER. Yes you need to know what you're doing. You are writing your own tunes with HP tuners, and then you load that into your computer
2010 Silverado LT|5.3|4x4|RC 2"|Zone AAL|17x9 -12 Ultra Baron|285/70/17 Toyo OC A/T II|Airaid MIT|JT3030XL|32 Dump Club|Window Tint|Tow Mirrors|Tinted Tails
n8dh's 2010 Silverado

n8dh
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 37
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: LT 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Jun 09 2016, 5:39pm

Yes it's important to know what your doing. Otherwise you can really mess things up.

I've never messed with the hp tuners suite but I have used efi live before tuning a duramax. I took a short class and then the instructor set us free to make tunes and then he'd look them over to make sure nothing was engine damaging wrong, then we all ran the motor on a dyno to see who had the beat results.

I saw a increase of 85hp which wasn't too bad. But note this was just a engine on a stand hooked to a dyno and it had the injectors changed to larger aftermarket units along with a few other mods.

But all in all I barely scratched the surface of what you can do with these full tuning suites
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 137
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby taylorbickett » Jun 09 2016, 5:46pm

LOL dont do a ghost cam tune.... Im pretty you cant on our vehicles, only on the Dual cam engines like F**d. IF you really want a lope unplug your #1 spark plug or just do a cam swap. :lol:

Aside from that though, It takes a lot of know how to make a good tune. Expect to spend a load of time doing it, changing one little thing, taking it for a drive then changing it until you get it right.
2009 chevy 1500 ccsb 5.3l 6l80 AFM delete
TSP 220r .600/.600 112lsa cam w/ springs and hardened pushrods
4.56 gears
garrett turbo with 4" exhaust. 497hp @ 9 psi
BBP Custom tune by Justin
taylorbickett
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 89
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 5.3L 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SparkyJJO » Jun 09 2016, 6:09pm

I know of a guy who blew a hole in his block due to a bad tune. Granted, the engine was turbocharged so it is even more important to have a proper tune with that, but still.
SparkyJJO
Shifting into First Gear [L3]
Shifting into First Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: NNBS 1500 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics