jQuery not supported.

New truck, good deal or not?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

New truck, good deal or not?

Postby Mildot [OP] » Dec 21 2013, 6:55pm

Happy Holidays everyone!

I am kind of wanting to buy a truck, I currently have a company Silverado 4x4 but do not own a personal vehicle.

I found a 2014 GMC Sierra standard cab short bed 2 wheel drive that I like. It has the new V6, power windows and locks, carpet, electric heated outside mirrors, rear window glass defogger, chrome package with chrome wheels, trailer towing package with locking differential and LED bed lights. Sticker on this one is $27,200, I priced the truck on the GMC website and it comes up $29,200.

We also found an identical truck and it has the $29,200 window sticker. According to the dealer GMC raised their prices about 8 weeks ago and the one with the cheaper price tag was made before the new pricing, anything going forward will be at the higher price. I had ran into this with new Silverado's before so I believe them.

They have offered me this truck for $21,200 + tax, there are $4,000 in rebates I am eligible for until January 1st and I also get the GM preferred pricing which takes off another $2,000. I have spoken with them a couple times but they will not come down anymore.

I really don't need it and it would just set in the garage, but if something would happen with my work I will need to run out and buy whatever I can find so I can get around.

Does this seem like a great price? Should I just wait and see what is offered in the summer when the 2015's come out? Seeing as how the prices have went up I am effectively getting $8,000 off.

Thanks
Original Poster
Mildot
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4.8L RCSB 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: New truck, good deal or not?

Postby Wayne58 » Dec 21 2013, 7:02pm

You live in Indiana can you get by during the winter with a 2wd or should you LQQK for a 4x4 Just wondering $ 8000.00 off sticker is good value anytime as long as the truck meets your driving needs >
SIGNITURE by TOTAL CHAOS ~~~ JEFF ~~~
Image Rainforest Green Metallic & Coco Dune Interior
Wayne58
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 55
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: LTZ 5.3 L 6 sp
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Mildot [OP] » Dec 21 2013, 7:18pm

I very rarely use the 4 wheel drive in my company vehicle, maybe twice a year. In the past I have always bought 4 wheel drive extended cabs but I never haul anything and it is just me so I really don't need the extended cab, plus the shorter truck is easier to park. I would only put about 2-3k miles a year on it if I was no longer working.

If it gets so bad I would need 4 wheel drive I would just stay home for the day until they plow the roads.

I am just worried that if I pass this deal up it will cost me more in the summer if I buy one then. But then I think about the $1,000 a year for plates and insurance plus the warranty running out while it is just setting in the garage.
Original Poster
Mildot
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Wayne58 » Dec 21 2013, 7:34pm

I hear you , it won't take long to eat up the savings on the purchase and if things got dicey you could always rent a vehicle short tern at $ 29.95 a day it's a cost effective option >>> My 2010 RCSB just turned 12,000 kilometers or 7200 miles in 42 months lol
SIGNITURE by TOTAL CHAOS ~~~ JEFF ~~~
Image Rainforest Green Metallic & Coco Dune Interior
Wayne58
Topics: 55
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: LTZ 5.3 L 6 sp
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby esox07 » Dec 21 2013, 7:38pm

Great price for a new, current model year truck. But it sounds like a luxury at this point. If you had a current need or use for it, then that would be different. It sounds like a pretty expensive insurance policy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 288
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby esox07 » Dec 21 2013, 7:39pm

Delete

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 288
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Mildot [OP] » Dec 21 2013, 8:44pm

I agree on the luxury and not needing it.

I thought about the renting angle, I could probably rent a car for a couple weeks until I found a truck if need be.
Original Poster
Mildot
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2004lebanshee » Dec 21 2013, 9:42pm

I would think if you don't plan on driving it much I would get a decent used truck IMO. You will lose more the first year or two then you would spend on renting a vehicle. Also you could just pick up a used vehicle in a bind and probably sell it shortly afterwards for a similar price as long as you buy something desirable. I would guess a 2wd standard cab with a V6 would be worth less then 18k in a year or two IMO. There just not as desirable from what I have seen.
2004lebanshee
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tcnoakes » Dec 21 2013, 10:08pm

2004lebanshee wrote:I would think if you don't plan on driving it much I would get a decent used truck IMO. You will lose more the first year or two then you would spend on renting a vehicle. Also you could just pick up a used vehicle in a bind and probably sell it shortly afterwards for a similar price as long as you buy something desirable. I would guess a 2wd standard cab with a V6 would be worth less then 18k in a year or two IMO. There just not as desirable from what I have seen.

Agreed
tcnoakes
Topics: 44
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby Mildot [OP] » Dec 21 2013, 10:30pm

I had been looking at used trucks for a couple of months, something with under 35,000 miles in decent shape is around $19,000 around here. I would rather pay an extra $2,000 for a new truck with full warranty than take a chance on someone else's problem truck.

I think I am just bored and wanting to spend some money :D

Thanks for all the replies and Happy Holidays to all!
Original Poster
Mildot
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics