jQuery not supported.

Scan Tool or Diagnostic Tool you use - pros and cons

Foxwell NT630 Plus review - w/ABS brake bleed
Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Re: Scan Tool or Diagnostic Tool you use - pros and cons

Postby Fixed_Until » Feb 15 2020, 4:22am

Just to pull codes A cheapo $20 BAFX obd2 dongle

To do work on gm stuff I have knock off Tech2. I like it.
Fixed_Until
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2002
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby B52Bombardier1 » Feb 15 2020, 4:46am

My OBD Link MX+ or Konnwei Bluetooth devices with the usual Dash Command, Torque Pro, OBD Link and Motor Data apps work for me for troubleshooting.

For us LS engine swap people that don't like to pay the HP Tuners folks money to license a new operating system, there are now free alternatives. "Tuner Pro RT" software allows the free editing of a General Motors PCM operating system to get it to work in a swapped vehicle. Then we use "LS Droid" software with my MX+ device to actually write the changed Tuner Pro operating system to the PCM which completely avoids spending money on HP Tuners.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
1970 Chevy El Camino 5.3 liter LM7 Engine and 4L60E Transmission
B52Bombardier1
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Year: 1999
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: In A 70 El Camino
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby hatzie » Feb 15 2020, 7:40pm

MIKE91B wrote:Snap on has the scanner game down to a science. The aftermarket has no choice. If you deal with multiple manufactures it is hands down the best. The 2000$ a year to scan anything that comes through the door is nothing. The subscription costs with a Jtool and manufacturer software would be ten times that. My modis has a oscilloscope and that is the only reason I went that high in the model line. It has no more scanning or bidirectional functions than the lower models.

Depends on how much you want to do with the scope. I have a buddy that uses a Pico Scope rather then the scopes built into the scan tools because he gets more bandwidth and more channels to monitor more things and he can drive down the road while recording data to playback along with info from one of his other tools.
I make do with my old 1980's Tek scopes on a cart with an extension cord... it won't let me do anything that requires a portable scope but it's better than nothing.
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.0, 4L80E, NV263, AAM 10.5", 4.10:1, LTX265/70R17
"Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson
Haes 2005 Silverado LS 2500HD
hatzie
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500 HD
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous