jQuery not supported.

Some 2020 silverado/trailboss questions

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Re: Some 2020 silverado/trailboss questions

Postby Mistaare [OP] » Oct 08 2019, 3:12am

THANKS for all the feedback. Its almost like you guys are telling to get anything else BUT the trailboss! :shock:
Original Poster
Mistaare
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2020
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mjrchabot » Oct 08 2019, 3:16am

Mistaare wrote:
ferraiolo1 wrote:They don’t have a worse track record than gm afm engines or their 8speed quirks.

IF I were you. I would wait another year and let gm work out the bugs with the new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are some of the afm quirks? I thought the 5.3 was relatively stout? I have been reading about the 8 speed issues, I was under the impression that the 10 speed was good to go?

I was hoping the '19's had the bugs worked out of them and the '20's were good to go!!! :lol:

thanks for the feedback!

Lots of threads on here if you search “AFM issues” or similar. Simply put, it may lead to premature wear and failure of the engine, the lifters are known to fail.
But don’t go writing off the 5.3, it is a fine motor and there are millions on the road with no issues whatsoever related to AFM. You can easily turn that off with a tune if you wish.

If I’m not mistaken, the 10spd was built in partnership with F**d (so I’ve read, pls correct me otherwise) and if you browse F150 forums, you’ll see they are having issues with their 10spds. Unfortunately the saying “they don’t build them like they used to” is truer today than ever.

mjrchabot
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 3
Year: 2018
Variant: Hybrid
Extra Info: LT 5.3 eAssist 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mjrchabot » Oct 08 2019, 3:20am

I should have mentioned in my post above that I own a 2018 with the 5.3 and 8spd. I’m a happy owner - the transmission isn’t as smooth as my Cadillac coupe but the truck also weighs 2000lbs more. So it’s working harder... I enjoy how it drives and so far everyone who has travelled in it enjoys the comfortable ride.

AFM can be annoying at times, I find it’s only annoying when I’m driving into a strong wind. Otherwise in most conditions it’s not very noticeable.

mjrchabot
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adam86107adam86107 is online! » Oct 08 2019, 6:52pm

Don't forget the 19's have DSF instead of AFM. I'd say it's too early to tell if DSF will cause problems.
adam86107adam86107 is online!
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 63
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2005
Extra Info: RST 5spd manual 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby mjrchabot » Oct 08 2019, 7:18pm

adam86107 wrote:Don't forget the 19's have DSF instead of AFM. I'd say it's too early to tell if DSF will cause problems.

Yes with DFM you get twice as many bad lifters haha..

mjrchabot
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Oct 08 2019, 8:10pm

adam86107 wrote:Don't forget the 19's have DSF instead of AFM. I'd say it's too early to tell if DSF will cause problems.

It’s the same system but on all 8 cylinders instead of 4.

In theory it should lessen the chance of oil consumption. But it also doubles the chance of a collapsed lifter.

SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 96
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby 4xAlum » Oct 08 2019, 9:17pm

I have 2 co-workers that have both leased a TB. One is based on the entry level LT with the bucket seats. The other checked every box. Both had previous generation model leases and have spoke very highly of the the TB. In regards to the one comment that the AT4 is the GMC version of the TB, that isn't exactly true. The AT4 is more like a Denali with the a suspension lift, that is why you only find "loaded" ones available. Just my $0.02
4xAlum
Topics: 1
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adam86107adam86107 is online! » Oct 08 2019, 11:49pm

ferraiolo1 wrote:

It’s the same system but on all 8 cylinders instead of 4.

In theory it should lessen the chance of oil consumption. But it also doubles the chance of a collapsed lifter.

The mechanics are similar but now it has 17 different cylinder configurations and it's own control unit. Seems like it has more of a potential for failure.
adam86107adam86107 is online!
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 63
Year: 2005
Extra Info: RST 5spd manual 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Mistaare [OP] » Oct 09 2019, 3:05am

Is there a way to disable the DSF? My wife has an Element and I read some people disengaged there cylinder management systems and actually got better gas mileage (ever so slight)!!

Anyone disengage theirs? Would that void the warranty?

Looked at a 2020 GMC Elevation tonight with the X31 off road package, it was nice. Didnt take it for a test drive, was just poking around. Going to test drive the TB LT tomorrow.

From what I understand, the X31 doesnt have the 2" life, tire/wheel combo and leather interior of the AT4?
Original Poster
Mistaare
Topics: 5
Year: 2020
Variant: All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Oct 09 2019, 11:08am

Yes range technologies has a module to turn it off. But you’re still left with the weak lifters in your engine.

Yes we almost all turn it off, Mileage is almost never affected.

SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 96
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics