jQuery not supported.

Some 2020 silverado/trailboss questions

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Some 2020 silverado/trailboss questions

Postby Mistaare [OP] » Oct 07 2019, 2:52am

Hey guys, first time posting. Very interested in a 2020 Silverado, preferably in the Trailboss LT but I have some questions that hopefully you guys can shed some light into:

1. the difference between the LTZ package and Trailboss 2" lift and Ranchero shocks? Anything else? I mean the LTZ gets, hill decent, rear locker, skid plates, transfer case etc. Are there any other differences?

2. What are your thoughts/opinions between a locker that YOU can control (like in the FX4) compared to an automatic (once the wheel spin reaches a certain rpm it actives the rear locker)?

3. If your key fob breaks, fob battery dies, can you lock/unlock your doors or when your car battery dies, can you still get in the door, tailgate? can you get in the tailgate if you dont have your keyfob with you?

4. Has anyone put a cap on the bed with that little lip that comes off the top of the cab?I would love to see pictures.

5. Most importantly, what are your thoughts of the 5.3 mated to the 10 speed? Anyone have any first hand comparisons driving both? Any difference in mpg between the 8 spd and 10 spd?

Also, if you have the trailboss, any of you guys getting better than 16 mpg city? I have owned (and now outgrown) a Tacoma for the past 11 years with 2" lift and load E mud tires getting 12-15 mpg. Hoping to get the same or a LITTLE better with my next purchase.

Out of the Chevy, D***e and F**d I am leaning towards the trialboss. Hopefully you guys can help seal the deal!

Thanks for ANY input you guys can help out with!

(Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, moderators feel free to move, thanks!)
Original Poster
Mistaare
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2020
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Some 2020 silverado/trailboss questions

Postby ferraiolo1 » Oct 07 2019, 2:37pm

Hey guys, first time posting. Very interested in a 2020 Silverado, preferably in the Trailboss LT but I have some questions that hopefully you guys can shed some light into:

1. the difference between the LTZ package and Trailboss 2" lift and Ranchero shocks? Anything else? I mean the LTZ gets, hill decent, rear locker, skid plates, transfer case etc. Are there any other differences?

-Visual differences, and the leveling kit consists of longer struts/shocks, and longer CVs if you plan on lifting the truck more, then just get the LTZ as that stuff will just be taken off the truck.

2. What are your thoughts/opinions between a locker that YOU can control (like in the FX4) compared to an automatic (once the wheel spin reaches a certain rpm it actives the rear locker)?

-gm has use the G80 locker for 30 years, its a pretty good unit. I never had issues, it works well in the snow.

3. If your key fob breaks, fob battery dies, can you lock/unlock your doors or when your car battery dies, can you still get in the door, tailgate? can you get in the tailgate if you dont have your keyfob with you?

-there is a key in the key fob you can remove to unlock the door

4. Has anyone put a cap on the bed with that little lip that comes off the top of the cab?I would love to see pictures.

-no idea

5. Most importantly, what are your thoughts of the 5.3 mated to the 10 speed? Anyone have any first hand comparisons driving both? Any difference in mpg between the 8 spd and 10 spd?

-10 speed is still an untested trans, can have its quirks like the 8 speed had and still has.

Also, if you have the trailboss, any of you guys getting better than 16 mpg city? I have owned (and now outgrown) a Tacoma for the past 11 years with 2" lift and load E mud tires getting 12-15 mpg. Hoping to get the same or a LITTLE better with my next purchase.

- you wont get much better than that city, in this or any full sized truck but highway will be in the mid / low 20s if you keep it under 70mph

Out of the Chevy, D***e and F**d I am leaning towards the trialboss. Hopefully you guys can help seal the deal!

- If it were me, I would be buying the new ram, the hemi is a much stronger engine than the 5.3, and the styling is much nicer.. but that's subjective.
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 96
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby mjrchabot » Oct 07 2019, 4:23pm

Interesting to see a Toyota owner looking elsewhere, not like you guys! Lol
Have you looked at the Tundra as well? I know it’s dated but depending on your timing, you may be able to get a great deal on the current generation since they are rumoured to be redesigning that truck.

If we’re talking about the new Silverados tho, I’d also recommend taking a look at the RST package and then doing some of those mods that has you looking at the TB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mjrchabot
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 3
Year: 2018
Variant: Hybrid
Extra Info: LT 5.3 eAssist 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Mistaare [OP] » Oct 07 2019, 5:15pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I have considered the Tundra but the mpg is horrible from what I have read and from talking to a couple owners.
Original Poster
Mistaare
Topics: 5
Year: 2020
Variant: All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mjrchabot » Oct 07 2019, 5:23pm

Mistaare wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

I have considered the Tundra but the mpg is horrible from what I have read and from talking to a couple owners.

Yeah, definitely not it’s strong suit, just like the 4Runner. Not sure how much worse it would be than a Ram though?

I’d probably be more confident in quality buying a Tundra over Ram...

But back on topic - have you checked out the RST trim Silverados?

mjrchabot
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cblades » Oct 07 2019, 5:48pm

Am I the only person who thinks the new ram is fricking ugly? All I hear is about how great they look and to me it looks like its squinting its eyes.
cblades
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: CC Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Oct 07 2019, 6:03pm

compared to the styling atrocity that is the new GM line up, its the best of a crappy situation.
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 96
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby mjrchabot » Oct 07 2019, 6:08pm

cblades wrote:Am I the only person who thinks the new ram is fricking ugly? All I hear is about how great they look and to me it looks like its squinting its eyes.

Certain trim levels, like any vehicle, are very ugly. I’d say the same about some Silverados..
Personally, I don’t like all the chrome and frills that come on the Ram Laramie or Limited. I prefer the rugged look of the Rebel and that would be the only Ram I consider right now.

I also think the Ram Rebel is a more capable truck than the Trail Boss given it has sway bar disconnects, true e-locker, and available air suspension for greater ground clearance.

mjrchabot
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cblades » Oct 07 2019, 6:46pm

I'm just talking how they look. The new ram is ugly. Not wild about the new silverado either. I do like the new sierra. I do not like any of them as much as I like the 2016-2018 GM trucks. And I may add my favorite is still the 2001-2002 Silverado 2500HD with the duramax in dark gray. lol
cblades
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: CC Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adam86107 » Oct 07 2019, 6:51pm

I don't think the new Ram looks bad. However, I'm not a fan of the dial shifter and the huge touchscreen. I prefer actual buttons, with a touch screen I can just see me changing the radio station then hit a bump and accidentally turn the defrost on.
adam86107
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 63
Year: 2005
Extra Info: RST 5spd manual 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen
Next

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics