Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Stant Locking Fuel Cap Review.

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  esox07 
#1 ·
Junk! That is all.

See less See more
#11 ·
This is why I am look at replacing the entire cover with a locking cover.

Sent from my Mobile.

Rob

#13 ·
I dont think GM puts on locking caps more because of the hassle with them than anything else. It is one more key for the owner to lose. On more problem for the dealers to have to deal with. Sure they could put a cheap $5 cap on like the Standt one by the OP but then they wind up dealing with defective or broken ones or lost keys. I have a feeling it would cost the roadside assistance program a bundle of money alone. Or they could put in a high quality locking cap, maybe even remote controlled like the door locks that is dependable but then they add $50 to each vehicle.

#14 ·
AzDragonLord said:
If someone wants the fuel bad enough, they will get it....either by cutting the fill neck or puncturing the tank. replacing missing fuel is cheaper than replacing those parts.
I only have a two car garage, but I also have a three car driveway. Our two cars get to sleep inside, but our Silverado sits outside. We live on a quiet residential street. A couple of years ago, a neighbor came to my door in the AM, and told me that someone had stolen gas from his car that was also sitting in his driveway. Sure enough, I checked the truck, the fuel door was open, but my locking gas cap saved the day. A casual thief will move on when he discovers a locking cap or door. Again, if Japanese cars can have this feature, why not our trucks. To me, this is a HUGE oversight. And, what about the prankster that wants to dump sugar or sand into your tank?

Lou

#15 ·
Locking caps are great as long as you don't leave them on the trunk of your Pontiac Grand Prix and drive away from a gas station in Montana on a month-long road trip. :roll:

#17 ·
I had a locking cap on a car back in the 70's when gas was real high. One time they tryied to pry it out and busted the "cap" off but the part that locks into the fuel filling line was still there. Great, they didn't get the gas but I had one heck of a time getting that part out. I think I also wound up putting some chunks of metal and other debris down into the tank in the process. About a year later, with a new locking cap, they again tried to pry it out and succeeded. Problem is, they tore the snot out of the filler hole and the area around the filler hole. I never used another locking gas cap...Interestingly enough, I have never had my gas stolen since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.