jQuery not supported.

Unfortunate and Very Sad

Accident North of Houston
Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Unfortunate and Very Sad

Postby roorancher [OP] » Feb 26 2021, 8:10pm

PROBABLY MOVING ALONG AT 75 MPH....

Listen to the wheel and tire statistics at the end of the video...

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ ... ASNzx6AZAj

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

121,008 miles 04/01/21

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
Original Poster
roorancher
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 117
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Re: Unfortunate and Very Sad

Postby GBSierraSLE » Feb 26 2021, 9:57pm

Tragic!
'13 ECSB 4x4 5.3 6sp 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,375 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sandersBradley21sanders is online! » Feb 26 2021, 10:55pm

That's terrible. Actually had a woman at work get hit by a tire that came off of a truck like that here recently. Luckily the truck was going the same direction and it just scuffed here truck and hit the rail and stopped. That probably saved someone else from a bad day.

144,208 as of 3/5/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sandersBradley21sanders is online!
Topics: 61
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby badbruin44 » Feb 26 2021, 11:06pm

Wow that is sad. Crazy it looked like the whole wheel snapped off the spindle. This is why people should check there vehicles for wear and just maintained in general. I know I look and importantly listen for something odd like weird noises that you just started to hear. You can`t get everything but some is detectable. My sadness goes out to an innocent driver just coming home from a good time just frustrating to see this.
[gallery][/gallery]
badbruin44
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 2500 6.0L CAI Gibson
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Walkers » Feb 27 2021, 3:56pm

Looks like the hub came unglued. You can see the tone ring. I am not certain of this, as I am not a 1500 expert, but it appears to be a 4wd running with the CV axle removed. You can see the hole through the bearing at one point, and the RWD bearing I see online are solid there.
Walkers
Topics: 70
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CarMech97 » Feb 27 2021, 5:52pm

Not from what I've gathered here in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SemhfdonSFU

It appears that the same hub and bearing assembly is used on 2wd and 4wd D**** trucks.
In the video, it's clear that the axle hole in the bearing is not used on the 2wd truck.
So there you have it.
I've heard so many stories of repeated bearing failure on D**** trucks.
Friggin' Chrysler junk destroyed a family.
And worse are the operators who drive this junk on the roads.
This is what happens when people buy poor quality products, and don't maintain them properly.
An avoidable tragedy. Very sad.

CarMech97

EDIT: From the video, it also appears that there is nothing used on the 2wd truck to hold the bearing together, in case it fails.
What a friggin' horrible design.
'I'd rather push a Chevy than drive a F***..'
CarMech97
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2500 8.1L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby OilFracker » Feb 28 2021, 6:13am

Gotta wonder if it did the death wobble or had bearing failure. Or both. So sad as it is all preventable for sure.

I was following a jacktard on I-70 last year and he had his spare tire on his trailer unsecured. Needless to say it bounced off and rolled into the ditch. I waved him down and told him about it. He didn't care and drove away. [emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
14' 1500 Sierra SLE 5.3L Z71
OilFracker
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 1500 SLE 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Feb 28 2021, 11:40am

I worked as a surveyor for our state dot for 30 yrs (ret) and we found countless wheel/tires along roadways, some new spares that fallen off trucks. I have personally witnessed several come of cars and even one from a semi (10.00x20) which the police later told us traveled about 1/2 mile through the brush before hitting a big tree. I seen one come off a car and hit a house near our work zone. I also recall a double fatal that involved a spare tire/wheel from a flat bed 18 wheeler hitting the cab of a pickup (tourist). You cannot imagine the odd stuff found along road ways that had fallen from vehicles; semi tire/wheels, logs, lumber, 55 gal drums full of unknown chemicals/oil, building materials (lumber, insulation, doors and windows), misc tools, misc rigging from logging truck and flat bed trailers to name a few I recall. Its a dangerous place, the highways, even worse working as we had a new cc F350 totaled by an unattentive driver who plowed into it parked on the shoulder of the roadway with traffic cones around it and flashing lights.
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

â–ºJOIN AMSOIL

My_Fleet
2021 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L Ultimate
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
Z15
Topics: 250
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2021
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Feb 28 2021, 2:31pm

This story is just so sad....
As Mike noted, the highways really are a dangerous place. When everyone is going 70 MPH in the same direction, you lose all sense of actual speed. If someone passes you at 75 MPH, that 5 MPH differential does not seem consequential.
But for anyone who has ever had to stand by the roadside, or worse, stand there as an accident happens, you suddenly understand the level of devastation...

When my kids were in high school, they had adopted a stretch of highway, and would go out to do the annual clean up. Since I had a truck, I'd go help, and carry supplies etc. One year as we were cleaning up trash along the highway near a grove of trees, we disturbed a young deer. As (bad) luck would have it, the deer spooked, and ran right out into the highway traffic. Neither the deer or the guy in the old F*rd Expl*rer saw it coming. It was a direct hit at approx. 65 MPH. Me and 12 kids suddenly find ourselves getting "rained on" with car parts and bloody deer parts. It was like the freaking apocalypse!
Fortunately, just a couple cuts and scrapes to the high school kids, but one very near miss as a piece of the bumper came very close to one kid. I made sure "my kids" were OK. The deer was unrecognizable, aside from some fur. I went to check on the driver...
The guy in the Expl*rer was not wearing a seatbelt. Fortunately, the air bag deployed. When I got to him, he was coming in and out of consciousness. The door was locked and slightly crumpled, so I could not get him out. He'd wake up, put his foot on the brake and everything was fine. Then he'd go "out" again, and his foot would fall off the brake, and he'd start rolling off the shoulder and toward a shallow ravine. I finally got him awake enough to put it in Park and unlock the door. By the time the state patrol arrive, he was fully conscious again...not sure what ever happened to him after that.

Being front and center (literally yards away) to the scene of the crash gave me a whole new appreciation for what can happen in an instant. It also makes me very thankful for the engineers that work so hard behind the scenes to continue to make our rigs as safe as possible.

Stay SAFE out there, my friends!!
NEW: 2021 Silverado LT Z71, 5.3L, Katzkin leather, soft tonneau, bedliner
OLD: 2010 Sierra All Terrain, 5.3L, Range AFM delete, 2.5" level lift, Grenade XD wheels, 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
EKinMN
Topics: 154
Year: 2021
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L 8 Speed
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics