jQuery not supported.

VIN Update Possible? / VIN custom creation possible?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Re: VIN Update Possible? / VIN custom creation possible?

Postby Z15 » Nov 30 2016, 6:32pm

The reason parts counters at dealers ask for a VIN is because it narrows down the part search to that vehicles build. They are only searching parts for one vehicle instead of having to search the entire system and all the variables.

If you use the wrong vin you could get the wrong parts as just because vehicle is similar does not mean its the same.
Last edited by Z15 on Nov 30 2016, 6:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

My_Fleet
2017 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
2016 Polaris RZR 900 EPS
Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 237
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby wildchevy » Nov 30 2016, 6:32pm

DarkAbyss wrote:The GM parts place won’t sell me parts with the matching VIN, another place can’t look up parts since it wasn’t included as part of truck.

Once an option is added to the vehicle after purchase (All factory parts), is there a way to update the GM VIN database?

I need a VIN # to appease that GM service gods. Does anyone have a VIN for a 2004 Chevy Silverado regular cab with all options maxed out especially the auxiliary battery? Better yet, is there a way to generate or find a custom VIN? (No luck on cars.com)

I look on ebay for trucks for sale with the options I desire and use that vin lol easy peazy kinda sleazy but it works
wildchevy
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 1960
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Nov 30 2016, 6:40pm

That could come back and bite you. Often there are production changes to parts and assembly's during a model year and even between assembly plants. Using the wrong VIN could get you a part that does not work because your vehicle has a different version of the part that is not-inter-changeable with a new version of the part.
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

My_Fleet
2017 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
2016 Polaris RZR 900 EPS
Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 237
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby GR2017 » Dec 01 2016, 9:55pm

DarkAbyss wrote:.....In some forums, I saw dealers will call GM tech support to update the RPO codes associated with the VIN. This was in the case of an engine upgrade. I wanted to confirm if this was possible.

If this "engine upgrade" was done after the vehicle was built at the GM factory, of course GM will not modify the database for the vehicle. It has nothing to do with GM anymore.
GR2017
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 WT 4.3L V6
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics