jQuery not supported.

Which diagnostic tool do you use?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Which diagnostic tool do you use?

Postby speedracer2016 [OP] » May 21 2017, 7:02pm

Hello all. So far, I am able to do the vast majority of my mechanical repairs (at least until they pry the tools from my cold dead hands) but I am in a quandary regarding diagnostic tools. I have an ACTRON 9580 and it is good for the basics (reading, clearing and some freeze frame). I have been watching some diagnostic videos and they all seem to be using the Snap-On touchscreen diagnostic devices that can read anything, graph electrical data, etc. Of course these are probably mucho $$'s and as its for me I could never really make it pay. So, what do you all use that's a bit above the basic unit but has some of the more advanced capabilities? Are you using a laptop with an adapter and some software program? No problems today but want to be ready for tomorrow. THANKS..
Original Poster
speedracer2016
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Classic - 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Re: Which diagnostic tool do you use?

Postby 07nnbs4x4 » May 21 2017, 7:07pm

My job, I work as a Mechanic, has the Snap-On Verus. Probably the best hand held diagnostic tools available and can be had for around $8,500.

I do have, my own, Actron CP9695. Not cheap either, around $350, but a great hand held tool.
2007 ECSB NNBS LTZ 4x4
LMG 5.3
Built 4L70E
BTR 212/218 .553/.553 113+2LSA (PAC 1218's, Ti-17 Retainers, Machined Locks)
CHE Bronze Trunnions
ARH 1-3/4"x3", catted Y-Pipe, Corsa Sport 3"
Airaid Jr
BlackBear 91-Tune
Rancho Lift
4.56's and 34's
364-Hp/348 lb-ft of tq at rear wheels
07nnbs4x4
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 75
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Extra Info: NNBS ECSB LTZ 5.3 4X
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » May 21 2017, 7:24pm

There are cheaper options than snapon.

But it all depends what you want to do with it. For home use I use the torque app. Does anything I need most of the time.

Anything else I use works snapon scan tool.

If you don't need all the functions the higher end scan tools have, and only want the ability to do basic stuff, then I'd take a look at something like this. Pricey but not too bad. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XHKV5 ... Mwebp_QL65
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 128
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby speedracer2016 [OP] » May 21 2017, 11:00pm

Yes, the Verus seems to be in a LOT of the videos. Unfortunately I am a tad short at $8500.00 I appreciate suggesting the other models and I will indeed take a look at them. Thanks again...
Original Poster
speedracer2016
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: Classic - 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Postby HorizontalHunter » May 22 2017, 12:31am

I am using the Autel AL619 AutoLink ABS/Air Bag + OBDII Scan Tool. It gives me the basics with the Abs and airbag codes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091DJWV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am just a shade tree though.

Bob
HorizontalHunter
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics