jQuery not supported.

Wish I had an in-dash 4wd indicator light

Accidentally left my truck in 4wd for the 3rd time now...
Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Wish I had an in-dash 4wd indicator light

Postby bigrig [OP] » Jan 08 2014, 2:14pm

So every so often in the winter I need to use 4wd hi to back in to my driveway. Typically, once I'm in the driveway and parked, I remember to bring the 4wd back to 2 hi. Well, whenever I am parking and have some sh!t on my mind, I seem to forget to bring it back to 2wd. The consequences of my absent mindedness has caused me to drive on dry pavement at high speeds for long periods of time before figuring it out. :oops: :oops: :oops: When I do finally realize I'm still in 4hi I suddenly get a sinking feeling, knowing that I just put extreme unnecessary stress on my drive-train that will likely catch up with me further down the road.

Because this is the third time this has happened to me, and this last time was the worst (40 miles at speeds up to 75 mph) :oops: I plan on only using Auto and letting the back wheels slip before engaging to get into the driveway...But it would be nice to have a a 4wd idiot light built into the gauge cluster, the knob doesn't really help much for instances such as mine.

Oh well, life's hard. It's even harder when you're :arrow: stupid.

Thanks for listening guys!
2010 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71 All Terrain SLT
Mods-
AirAid MIT, 22" Magnaflow, 4" tip, Range AFM Delete, 4" Nerf Bars, Boss Rails, BakFLip, 35w HID Lo / 25w Fogs, RC 2" Level, RX-1 Can, RX 1LE Separator, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate bags.
Original Poster
bigrig
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 5.3 SLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Wish I had an in-dash 4wd indicator light

Postby lzn197 » Jan 08 2014, 2:20pm

I'm surprised you don't hear the different tone of the vehicle when that happens. I have a cheap idea that worked for me for a reminder. Just tie a rag or something on the top of your steering wheel. You might want to take a moment and verify your fluid levels are ok for the 4 wheel drive components.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby bigrig [OP] » Jan 08 2014, 2:43pm

It has been extremely cold here lately, so I guess I chalk any slightly off differences up to being cold. The only way I can feel the difference in 4hi is when coasting into turns. Otherwise there is no noticeable vibrations.

Your rag idea isn't a bad one! I'll have to throw one in the console.

I'll be checking the transfer case this weekend, at least I have amsoil in it...

Thanks for the advice!
2010 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71 All Terrain SLT
Mods-
AirAid MIT, 22" Magnaflow, 4" tip, Range AFM Delete, 4" Nerf Bars, Boss Rails, BakFLip, 35w HID Lo / 25w Fogs, RC 2" Level, RX-1 Can, RX 1LE Separator, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate bags.
Original Poster
bigrig
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2010
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 5.3 SLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby K_Daddy » Jan 08 2014, 2:57pm

Apparently there is a light in the cluster on my 2011 Silverado but it's only used for Manual transfer cases. I share the same frustration as you.
2011 ext cab 4x4 LT.
Z85 Hd tow pkg.
K_Daddy
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2011
Extra Info: ext cab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SignGuy » Jan 08 2014, 4:11pm

I can't believe that your rigs don't have some sort of light? :o What is wrong with GM for not putting them on? You should be able to hook up a small led light to the switch to show its on.

I'd also try putting a little something on the switch when you turn it on, light the others have said about putting a rag or summat on the dash when you put it in 4wd.

I have my stick on the floor and when engaged it turns a light on the dash. My truck is an automatic.

The only other thing and what I would recommend (it's what I do) is only drive in 2wd all the time and only when I get stuck or when the wheels start spinning is to put the rig in 4wd to pull myself out. I figure I can get out of situations with 4wd from 2wd but if I'm already in 4wd and get stuck, I'm semi-screwed.

Good luck.
SignGuy
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS Ext Cab 4WD 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby K_Daddy » Jan 08 2014, 5:09pm

There is a light on the switch for the 4x4 it's just not on the dash cluster.
If you wait till you're stuck to turn on your 4x4 it won't always engage if you're not moving a little. I use 4x4 high if I'm driving in solid snow under 40mph. Auto 4x4 if I'm in spotty snow and/or over 40mph.
2011 ext cab 4x4 LT.
Z85 Hd tow pkg.
K_Daddy
Topics: 5
Year: 2011
Extra Info: ext cab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby esox07 » Jan 08 2014, 6:04pm

This is a pet peave of mine as well. I have done the same thing as the OP but not the that extent. Just a few miles. I can usually tell as soon as I try to make a slow speed turn on dry pavement that it is in 4wd. Otherwise, it behaves and sound pretty much normal. They should have a light on the dash cluster much like the High Beam indicator because, just like the OP, when I use 4WD, it is an abnormal situation which usually takes more than the normal amount of attention thus distracting me from the fact that I had shifted the truck into 4WD and after it is no longer needed, I forget to switch back sometimes. The tiny red light on the control knob is not only hard to see but it is also down below the steering wheel where my view is obstructed by the steering wheel and my right arm.
DUMB GM.
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 291
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Jan 08 2014, 6:18pm

I am amazed you guys can't feel it, last time I had the oil changed it was a little snowy and the dumb azz luber had to put it in auto to get it into the shop, mind you I made the 20 minute ride in 2wd to the dealership just fine. I got in the truck and by the time I hit the end of the lot I could feel it in auto. I called my service advisor and let him know about that and the fact they didn't bother to replace the change sticker on the windshield, guess I am asking a lot for a free oil change.
wildchevy
Topics: 40
Year: 1960
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Mdsjohna » Jan 08 2014, 6:19pm

I agree stupid to not have a little light right in the instro cluster.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Mdsjohna
Topics: 25
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 2012 Lt 5.3 6 speed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GKez » Jan 08 2014, 6:28pm

I understand where you are coming from. After I left the dealer after a blower install for my climate control system, for some reason, the idiots put my 4WD on. Keep in mind it was summer time and I took a turn and noticed a loud humming noise coming from underneath the truck. I recognized the noise and looked over to see that my truck was in 4-Hi. I had a big ***** bubble above my head and called the supervisor of the garage. They told me the tech was doing a bumper to bumper inspection like they usually do before any vehicle leaves the garage and I guess he forgot to turn it back off. After some minutes of venting, I got some great deals on detailing for the remainder of the summer. But yes, my family is all about F**d and they have an idiot light to notify ya when your truck is either in 4x4H or 4x4L. I really like that feature. Odd that GM doesn't have that in their trucks and it is really hard to remind myself to look at my knob because its hard to see where I am positioned at with the steering wheel.
GKez
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 10
Year: 2009
Extra Info: All-Terrain 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Uncategorized Truck Topics