jQuery not supported.

Alex_M's 2007 NNBS Silverado

1500 Z71 4x4
Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

Re: Alex_M's 2007 NNBS Silverado

Postby roorancher » Oct 09 2019, 4:43pm

OK...I'm going to ask a question here about YOUR Safety!

Do you really have the rear end of the truck jacked up and on jackstands in the dirt/grass without a board underneath the jackstands?
You really should have at least a 12" square of 3/4" plywood under them...

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

80,000 miles as of 10/1/19

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6 & Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source

Diablew Tune

Security by Rock Island Armory
roorancher
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 53
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Oct 09 2019, 4:52pm

Yes, I went ahead and picked up an Eaton Truetrac and going to be done with it hopefully for good. 14 bolt axle swap crossed my mind more than id like to admit but I decided to just do gear and new carrier for now so I could drive it again. Too many projects going on as usual ha

I have been on the hunt for a split style LTZ one but apparently everyone knows what they are worth
Bradley21sanders
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby desertboy13desertboy13 is online! » Oct 09 2019, 4:52pm

Jsut what I was thinking too...
I also would've some extra support at a different points

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
desertboy13desertboy13 is online!
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 8
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alex_M [OP] » Oct 10 2019, 3:25am

I understand the concern gentlemen, but rest assured I was perfectly safe. Front wheels were solidly chocked and the rear was on pretty hard packed ground; the jack stands were not sinking in, and the truck was very level. A genuine thank you for the concern though; that kind of accountability is one of the greatest strengths in a forum like this, especially for less experienced wrenchers.
Original Poster
Alex_M
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 46
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: Z71 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alex_M [OP] » Oct 10 2019, 3:28am

That should do the trick. I've considered the 14 bolt before, myself. I even considered swapping the 8.25 front diff for a 9.25 from a 3/4 ton truck. Just didn't make sense for what I do, though. Maybe one day in the future if I start blowing up diffs. Haha

The split grill was what I initially wanted as well, but man you're right, they sure are costly.

Bradley21sanders wrote:Yes, I went ahead and picked up an Eaton Truetrac and going to be done with it hopefully for good. 14 bolt axle swap crossed my mind more than id like to admit but I decided to just do gear and new carrier for now so I could drive it again. Too many projects going on as usual ha

I have been on the hunt for a split style LTZ one but apparently everyone knows what they are worth
Original Poster
Alex_M
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alex_M [OP] » Oct 10 2019, 6:20pm

Also, 50k mile update on the Falkens. Still a ton of tread left. These have been used and abused. I've done a poor job keeping up on rotations, not great about keeping them aired up, tons of gravel roads, hauling and towing a lot, and a ton of aggressive driving on very curvy mountain roads. I'm talking tire squeal on every other curve. No burnouts or anything like that, except a little sliding around in the rain fairly frequently, but none on dry asphalt. Still, fairly abused tires.

At almost 51k miles I've still got .300-.330" of tread left. I measured half a dozen different places and those were the measurements I got. Factory spec on a new tire is around .575", though I've not actually measured a new tire with calipers.

In essence, at 50k I'm at half tread. Been a wonderful tire. I've hauled trailers at 60 in 3" of standing snow on the interstate, been through mud pits almost to the bumpers in 2wd, and no torrential downpour of rain has yet to slow me other than for reasons of visibility.

Bang for your buck, can't beat em. When I move up to 35s I intend to get a set of rims for the wife's Tahoe and put these on her ride, so I'll continue to update until I retire them.

Original Poster
Alex_M
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion