jQuery not supported.

Alex_M's 2007 NNBS Silverado

1500 Z71 4x4
Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

Re: Alex_M's 2007 NNBS Silverado

Postby Alex_M [OP] » Mar 29 2019, 11:27am

Yeah, that's the single DIN dash kit I used! Been there since i swapped the first radio a couple years ago. Love the little cubby. It's great for keeping my old memo pads in.
Original Poster
Alex_M
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 46
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alex_M [OP] » Mar 30 2019, 3:13pm

Wow, arms arov3d super quickly! One day turnaround. They shipped out of Durham, NC.

Overall quality looks better than I expected considering the price if $310. They're pretty beefy, welds look good, they appear well designed. They are made in Taiwan.

I did want the red ones for $239, but they were out of stock. Lots of imported stuff seems to be going "out of stock" on eBay right now so I was afraid to wait and list these too. Looking at pictures they look like the exact same arms as the red ones, but the others aren't branded. Maybe they go through tighter QC? Maybe I just payed extra for black paint and a sticker.

Either way, I'm happy with the investment so far. I'll update after I get them installed and an alignment done.

Original Poster
Alex_M
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alex_M [OP] » Apr 19 2019, 4:50am

Quick update, arms are in. Alignment and a more detailed post tomorrow.

Original Poster
Alex_M
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alex_M [OP] » Apr 24 2019, 1:20pm

All right, I'm a few days behind but here goes.

Install was a bit fun. I ended up pulling the acetylene out to heat up the ball joint just on both sides to get the old out. Wasn't bad other than that. The new ones were about 1/8” wider than the stockers, outside to outside. I spread the ears out some and they said in and tightened up perfectly.

I got the alignment done at the dealership the next day. My steering wheel was crooked the first time, so I took it back. They greased all my ball joints and tie rod ends at the same time. Shes driving like a champ now. There's not much difference, which is to be expected. All in all very happy with everything.

Also finally got a chance to wash the truck yesterday. It's been.... We'll say too long. Months... Should start doing that more now that it's getting warm. I need a new grill soon, too. It's getting bad again. Tired if trying to paint it.

Original Poster
Alex_M
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alex_M [OP] » May 20 2019, 6:00pm

I ended up finding an open box special on some Bushwhacker bed rail caps for $70. I grabbed a set of those pop down hooks for $40. These are nicer hooks that. Most I've seen. They're TigerRacing brand, I found them on Amazon, and they're all aluminum and stainless. No plastic at all. So far they seem great.

All in all super happy with what I got and how is looks.

Original Poster
Alex_M
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alex_M [OP] » Jul 21 2019, 6:37pm

Once again, not much has been happening with the truck. Still have yet to get my gears in. Hopefully that will happen in the next week or so.

Also, one of my front CV joints has a tear in the boot. Not sure how it happened, but it's lost all it's grease and it's popping some. Going to have to get a hop on that soon.

Other than that, I just picked up a camper top for $30! It's a little rough around the edges, but it'll be easy to take on and off and perfect for camping.

Original Poster
Alex_M
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alex_M [OP] » Aug 06 2019, 11:52am

Scored a new grill for $35 day before yesterday. I've been keeping an eye out for one, mine has been in really rough shape for some time. Looks way better. I still need to do a little touch up in the Z71 logo and transfer it over.

Original Poster
Alex_M
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alex_M [OP] » Oct 08 2019, 5:25am

Finally got around to installing the rear end gears over the past couple days. Didn't go entirely as planned. I must've not gotten the inner pinion bearing race seated all the way, because I heard some growling when I started into the break in and when I pulled it back apart the pinion was a little loose. Torqued it back down and rechecked the tooth pattern. Unfortunately I did find a fair bit of metal in the oil and there is a slight whine around 20mph now, but I changed the oil twice right after driving the truck so more of the metal was hopefully suspended in the oil. I seem to have gotten the majority of the maletal out, but the gears are unfortunately still a little scarred. They do seem to be polishing together fairly well now so they should still last for a decent amount of time, but I reckon I'll end up doing the job again in the next year or so to get rid of the whine. Nothing critical though. I had a Mustang that the PO changed the gears on and they whined the whole 95k I put on the car.

I am liking the extra gearing so far. 4.56 is nice. A little low on the interstate, but I think they'll match very well with the 35s I plan to move up to in the coming months.

Other than that, I'll have to find time to do the front soon. The rust in the passengers side bed is also getting bad, I need to get a patch panel for it and replace that before too long. I reckon that'll probably be after winter.

Original Poster
Alex_M
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sandersBradley21sanders is online! » Oct 08 2019, 1:23pm

Glad to see others doing the gear job. Sucks it didn't go as planned, but I would go ahead and get a new ring gear/pinion to have on hand not too long from now. It could last a while or mess up something within a few thousand.

When I did my truck 70-80k miles ago everything was fine until the last couple weeks, im blaming the G80, the gears still looked pretty good other than the tooth that I found broken off of the pinion. I don't know yet if the spider gear c clip came off or something broke internally but its parked and im going to probably knock it out this evening/ tomorrow evening.

That grill was a sweet score! need to find me a deal that good, the chrome is bubbling on mine.
Bradley21sandersBradley21sanders is online!
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alex_M [OP] » Oct 09 2019, 4:05pm

Yeah, mad bummer. I've done gear jobs before with no issue but I got a bit rushed on this one. I agree, I'll need to get a new gearset sooner rather than later. They were a little noisier this morning than the past couple days. Unfortunately my other truck needs a new short block before this truck needs a new ring and pinion.

Good luck on yours! You replacing the carrier at the same time since you suspect it's the G80?

Mine had done the same thing. I peeled the spots it was bubbling, smoothed with some Bondo, and really followed every step to paint it right, but it only lasted about a year. I've never had luck getting paint to stick to chrome. I was exctatic when I discovered this grill on Facebook.
Original Poster
Alex_M
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion