jQuery not supported.

BartmanJax's 2002 Silverado Refurb

Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

Re: BartmanJax's 2002 Silverado Refurb

Postby BartmanJax [OP] » Feb 17 2017, 10:08pm

Gozzie wrote:man what a difference, very nice looking. Can I ask the cost ?

Sure. I have just over $6200 all in. Painting the truck, front bumper (GM OEM Chrome bumper, lower cap, upper cap and fog lights), body side moldings, fender flares, emblems (Chevrolet, Silverado, 1500 and LT), outside rear view mirrors, windshield, windshield moldings, wiper arms, grill cowl end caps (the cowl at the bottom of the windshield), On-Star antenna, turn signal/cruise control lever, shifter boot, leather seat driver side (upper/lower leather and cushion), wheels, tail gate cap, rear tail light lenses, high mount stop light, Line-X bed liner and HID headlights (hi/low).

This doesn't include some ancillary items I bought here and there like the Aircraft Remover ($25), Dewalt grinder ($60) and wire wheels for the grinder ($25) to get the old bed liner out. There was also color matched spray paint for the dash ($17) white touch up spray paint ($6) and some other items that probably total $100 or so.
Original Poster
BartmanJax
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Gozzie » Feb 17 2017, 10:17pm

incredible job and very labor intensive. We salute you.
Gozzie
2009 Silverado Extended Cab 4x4
5.3L flex fuel 4 Speed
Gozzie
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2017
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 6 Speed LTZ
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby BartmanJax [OP] » Feb 17 2017, 11:06pm

Gozzie wrote:incredible job and very labor intensive. We salute you.

THANK YOU!!!! 8-)

It's been a lot of fun...up until the bed liner. That was a PITA! :P
Original Poster
BartmanJax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bulldog481 » Mar 02 2017, 10:43am

Great job! The truck looks great! Definitely a labor of love. I'm starting a rehab on my 02 z71 ext cab as well, and your post gave me some good ideas. Thanks for sharing!
Bulldog481
Extra Info: 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BartmanJax [OP] » Mar 02 2017, 8:51pm

Bulldog481 wrote:Great job! The truck looks great! Definitely a labor of love. I'm starting a rehab on my 02 z71 ext cab as well, and your post gave me some good ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Glad I could help in some small way. Take and posts lots of pics!
Original Poster
BartmanJax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BartmanJax [OP] » May 14 2017, 8:05pm

UPDATE - 5/14/2017

For the past few months, I have been running the HID's I got from DDM Tuning. While they have worked fine, I found that I didn't like how long it took them to "warm up," especially when turning the bright lights on. It took around 10 seconds for them to come to full brightness.

I was recently in Knoxville visiting and stopped my my friends shop, Electrical Connection, to talk to Lewis about options. I already have his LED's in my bike (The Phillips ZES design) and are very happy with their performance. While he only stocks H4/H7 and a couple of other motorcycle related sizes, he did have one pair each of 9005/9006 that he ordered for someone and they never picked them up. Since he didn't have a vehicle that used those sizes and since I wanted something better than the HIDs I had, I bought these and they work great! I have no idea where to get these although I imagine you can get them on eBay!.

These bulbs don't have the cooling fan on the bulb base like a lot of other LED bulbs. They use a machined aluminum heat sink. Since I know they work (I already have these installed on my motorcycle), I knew they would work on the truck. I like how these install and how easy it is to adjust the bulb by loosening the set screw on the bulb collar. These are 24 watt, 5000K, 4000 lumen each. They're as bright as the 35 watt HIDs I had but the big difference is they're INSTANT ON! No warming up!

So, if you're looking for a different bulb option, look for a pair of the Phillips ZES 9006 (low beam) or 9005 (hi beam) bulbs. They're "plug-'n-play" and require no modification other then a little disassembly of the housing to get them in. I'll show that below in the pics.

First, the package the come in:

To get them in, you have to remove these six screws (circled in red) to remove the bracket. Once the bulbs are in, put the bracket back on. Very simple.

Here is what they look like installed in the housing:

In this image, the bulbs on the right are the LEDs and on the left are the HIDs. The LED's are 5000K and the HIDs are 6000K:

A close up of the LED side:

and the HID side:

Original Poster
BartmanJax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » May 14 2017, 10:14pm

That whiter light looks a lot nicer IMO. Are you going to post some side by side night shots or examples otherwise?
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.0 4x4
Mods: Bilstein 5100s, Airaid M.I.T., Custom LED Fog Lights, Custom Tablet Center Console, Catch Can, E-fans, Backup Camera, Black Bear Performance Tuned
My Build Log: silentbravo's 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD
My YouTube Channel
silentbravo
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BartmanJax [OP] » May 15 2017, 1:35pm

silentbravo wrote:That whiter light looks a lot nicer IMO. Are you going to post some side by side night shots or examples otherwise?

I don't have the camera equipment to do night shots. The camera on my phone does decent daylight pics but night pics are pretty bad and just don't do the bulbs justice.
Original Poster
BartmanJax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby kxcrazy » May 15 2017, 3:42pm

Looks awesome!

Can you post the link to where you purchased the chrome front bumper and the Onstar antenna?

Thanks!
kxcrazy
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » May 15 2017, 6:15pm

Very interested in how those LEDs last. You should keep us up to date on them. I did find some that look just like those on ebay, by searching "9005 led phillips zes" Around $70 for a pair it looks like. I'm pretty happy with my current lights, but may add these to wishlist since they are plug and play.
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.0 4x4
Mods: Bilstein 5100s, Airaid M.I.T., Custom LED Fog Lights, Custom Tablet Center Console, Catch Can, E-fans, Backup Camera, Black Bear Performance Tuned
My Build Log: silentbravo's 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD
My YouTube Channel
silentbravo
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion