jQuery not supported.

BartmanJax's 2002 Silverado Refurb

Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

BartmanJax's 2002 Silverado Refurb

Postby BartmanJax [OP] » Dec 08 2016, 5:25pm

Long time reader. First time poster. Not new to forums. I thought this might be a good time to FINALLY join the forum and not post about what I'm doing, but also document the process.

My 2002 Silverado only has 65K miles on the ODO. I ride my motorcycle most of the time (2006 Goldwing with 125K miles).

Just after I got the truck in 2001, my "ex" accidentally backed into the side and did some damage. Nothing severe so I never got it fixed. Several years ago while pressure washing the wheels, I got the nozzle a little to close to the hood and stripped some paint. I had every intention of getting the hood fixed, but I procrastinated and just never got around to doing it. Fast forward about 3 years and the truck was looking terrible on the outside. Clear coat had peeled on the roof, hood and upper part of the sides.

A good friend of mine has worked in the Publix body shop at their main distribution center here in JAX for 25+ years. When I told him I was thinking about getting the truck "fixed," he said "Let me do it. I'll take my time and do it right." So, here we go!

Here, you can see the damage when the truck was only about 3 weeks old.

Removed the grill and started removing the bumper. It's being replaced along with the upper and lower caps, fog lights (they're broken) and a new front license plate. Notice all the "white" residue from the old paint. When it would rain, with no clear coat to protect the paint, it did this. It was a mess.

The bumper is off!

Removed the fender flares (aftermarket) and the body side moldings. They're all being replaced along with all the emblems.

So I get the truck over to my friends house (he has a paint booth at his house). Convenient. Within about 15 minutes, the box is off.

A little surface rust on the frame rails. No big deal.

The headlights and turn signals come off. Here you can see the big spot where I did the pressure washer damage several years ago.

Initially, he was just going to sand off the clear and scuff the base coat but when he got into it, the paint was so weather damaged, he decided to go down to the metal.

Here you can see where he fixed the damage the "ex" did all those years ago.

There was a minor dent in the fender. Fixed.

This was a learning moment. Since the rear windows can be removed without destroying them, he used this 3M tape to "PULL" the gasketaway from the frame so the paint would get in there better. Worked out great!

Removed all the rubber trim and gaskets from around the doors as well as the trim along the "A" pillars (those are being replaced) as well as the trim piece along the top edge of the windshield (also being replaced).

Just before he was getting ready to spray the truck with the first coast of epoxy primer, he wanted to double check the door alignment and block sand the area he fixed...again.

Taping begins.

Two coats of epoxy primer.

Sanding the primer coat than wiping it down and hitting it was tack cloth. Getting ready for the base coat.

First coat of base. Artic White. Or as I call it, Maytag Refrigerator White.

All three coats of base are done.

Start clearing! Three coats! During this phase, several bugs got into the clear. He was SO pissed! He tried to get them out and ended up ruining the clear. And with some orange peel in the clear, he decided to sand the whole truck and re-clear the truck. Another three coats of clear.

Now for the box, tailgate and fuel filler door. No real damage to the box. A few minor dents. That was fixed. Two coats of primer, three coats of base. And three coats of clear. Some orange peel on the side of the box. He re-sanded that and three more coats of clear.

Stay tuned for more updates. Today, I’m going over to change the rear diff fluid while the box is off the frame.
Original Poster
BartmanJax
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: BartmanJax's 2002 Silverado Refurb

Postby jmoore19 » Dec 09 2016, 8:17pm

WOW. That's all I can say. I have never seen anyone redo an older one like this. Looks amazing! Excited to see it come out done!!
Current build thread: jmoore19's 02 Silverado 1500HD Build

2000 Silverado 1500 *SOLD*
2002 Silverado 1500HD
jmoore19
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 79
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500HD 4x4
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Postby AmericanZ71 » Dec 12 2016, 12:42pm

Great job, your truck thanks you! Freshly painted with only 65K on the dash...practically a new truck.
Image 6" lift, 35" Fuel M/T, 17" Fuel Hostages, back rack, husky toolbox, camo seat covers, 50" light bar, smoked fog lights, flow master 40
AmericanZ71
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 5.3L powerhouse
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby OverlordSpock » Dec 12 2016, 2:29pm

Wow! That's dedication right there!

Definitely in for the updates!
2016 Silverado LTZ Double-Cab
SOLD 2014 Silverado LTZ Double-Cab
SOLD 2008 Silverado LTZ Extended Cab
SOLD 1998 Silverado Extended Cab Sport Side
OverlordSpock
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2016
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 LTZ 5.3L
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby Fisger8new » Dec 12 2016, 3:49pm

Heck of a job. Always like to see an NBS get some love. This truck is getting more than most. Enjoy that truck for many more years.
Fisger8new
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 15
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 Vortec Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby BartmanJax [OP] » Dec 12 2016, 9:00pm

UPDATE: 12/12/16

Yesterday (Sunday morning) I picked up the truck.

Cab without the box.

The box. I brought Donnie several cans of undercoating to spray the wheel wells on the box to give it that "blacked out" look.

Took all of about 5 minutes and the box was back on, bolted down and plugged in.

Back at the house, it's time to start putting everything back on. First the new bumper and the lower bumper cap.

NOTE: If you're going to replace your bumper, DO NOT waste your time with that cheap, Chinese crap. Take it from me. I learned the hard way. Get OEM. The lower and upper caps are from CarPartsWharehouse on eBay. They fit perfect.

Next the upper cap and the grill.

The radiator shroud/cowl/cover.

And the the bug shield.

Next, time to install the body side moldings and emblems.

And the fender flares.

The top cap and emblems for the tail gate.

Tomorrow, Safelite replaces the windshield and in a few weeks, once the paint has had some time to cure, it goes to Daytona for the LineX "renew" process. The bedliner is 15+ years old and still sticking good, but it looks ratty.

More to come...
Original Poster
BartmanJax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BartmanJax [OP] » Dec 12 2016, 9:08pm

jmoore19 wrote:WOW. That's all I can say. I have never seen anyone redo an older one like this. Looks amazing! Excited to see it come out done!!

Me too. I still have a few more things to do. I've replaced the steering wheel. The driver's seat has a couple of minor holes that need repairing. Needs a new windshield. Once that is done, I can replace the cowl and new wiper arms. Then it's the truck bed. Going to LineX that and come up over the rails.
Original Poster
BartmanJax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BartmanJax [OP] » Dec 12 2016, 9:10pm

AmericanZ71 wrote:Great job, your truck thanks you! Freshly painted with only 65K on the dash...practically a new truck.

I agree. Once I'm done, I'll have spent about $5 for everything but no more than I drive it, it'll be good for another 15 years. And I LOVE not having payments. This time, she'll stay in the garage. ;)
Original Poster
BartmanJax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BartmanJax [OP] » Dec 12 2016, 9:12pm

OverlordSpock wrote:Wow! That's dedication right there!

Definitely in for the updates!

I'm not sure if it's dedication or a disease, but it's been fun.
Original Poster
BartmanJax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BartmanJax [OP] » Dec 12 2016, 9:13pm

Fisger8new wrote:Heck of a job. Always like to see an NBS get some love. This truck is getting more than most. Enjoy that truck for many more years.

Yes sir! That's the plan. The bike will get the miles and the tuck will get to relax.
Original Poster
BartmanJax
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion