jQuery not supported.

Blacksheep969's 2000 GMC Sierra Project

Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

Blacksheep969's 2000 GMC Sierra Project

Postby Blacksheep969 [OP] » Feb 13 2019, 5:28am

Hey guys new to the forum here and loving it so far. I haven't been on forums since my high school j-body days (don't worry I still laugh about it too lol) so if I mess this up my bad haha. Also I recently lost all previous photos of the truck before this project so I don't have any before shots. Stick around and hopefully the build will make up for that guys

I guess ill try to start at the beginning of the story but im no writer and it is a long and somewhat crazy one at least up to this point...

So I bought my current 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 slt 4wd 5.3l in August of '18 from a mutual connection of an old friend knowing he had brought the truck back from Arizona less than a year before. I live in Ohio so to see an 18 year old truck that hadn't been eaten alive by rust was a sight for sore eyes. The truck had a cold air intake, pacesetter longtubes and a Tuff Country 6" torsion drop lift already installed although it had clearly seen its better days. Worn out bushings which wasn't too surprising but someone had notched the subframe and re welded it also. To this day I still cant figure out why but oh well. Aside from worn bushings I could tell it was installed by a...less than qualified person. Instead of fixing someone elses mistakes and replacing every bushing I went ahead and ordered a new zone offroad 6" kit to replace it. At the time of this post it is currently waiting its turn to be put on due to the turn of events that took place shortly after.

3 weeks after buying the truck I was on my way to pick up the title (Az to Ohio transfer took time) and I cant even make this part up. Less than a mile from my driveway a girl in a prius pulled out in front of me, drove up my lane and hit me head on. Yes I swerved but she did too and long story short the prius ended up underneath my truck. I wasn't the happiest to say the least and when the cops showed up the chief of police instantly started chest bumping me and interrogating me like I had just robbed a bank at gunpoint. A few sharp words later I was cuffed for disorderly conduct which I fully understand and am not arguing in any way, I was in the wrong. I was released after that and told the driver of the prius was at fault (her car was still in my lane so it wasn't hard to figure that out). I was then told she wasn't cited and I couldn't get a copy of her insurance until the next day. 3 days later I finally received a copy of the crash report that I had to pay for which didn't set well with me at all. Oh well all was done and over with so I thought.

In the wreck my bumoer was mangled along with most of the grille and headlight mounts. The real damage was to the front of the frame which was clearly dented. After the appraiser looked over my truck I was told he had to add in the value of the aftermarket parts and then id be contacted with their offer. Well 3 days later I was contacted by this insurance companys special investigation unit and told they had a social media post of mine that proved the frame damage was not done by their claimant. They found a photo of a weld by the steering box on another truck of mine and claimed that it was on the GMC in question. Not even a word about the dent their claimant caused by hitting me head on going the wrong way. Long story short 4 months and a court battle later they got their way and I got screwed out of $5k. I could go on about that forever but it is what it is, I took it in stride and moved on.

Now were caught up to almost present day. After replacing a TON of misc parts that went wrong in the mean time I finally scheduled the truck to get the lift put on. Well as my luck goes 3 days before it was supposed to be dropped off I hit a puddle in front of my house and heard a very ominous bogg down on the motor followed by a hefty misfire that shook the whole truck. Instantly I thought it sucked water and bent a rod. The only code it threw was random multiple misfire and there was no knocking so I was stumped. The next day still had a large miss and oil pressure was dancing between 20-40 with a definite rod knock so I knew it was hurt. Time to find a motor :?

Now Im no ase certified mechanic but ive always done my own work so I knew I was going to be the one to swap it. I have only done one swap in my life and that was an old 5.7 vortec when I was 17....ten years ago lol. But I knew this would be way easier than the 5.7 due to youtube channels (shoutout to cleetus) random research and this forum 8-) $350 later I found my motor 10 minutes away and off we went.

Pulling the intake manifold instantly told me I screwed up considering the water that filled the intake ports. After pulling the heads the cylinder walls were rusted almost an eighth inch deep and my hopes of a quick swap were shot. Fast forward to a week ago and finding another motor and the project was back in gear. Once I stripped it down a quick check confirmed I had a good motor. That is until I realized 4 exhaust manifold bolts were broken off in the head :o A few unsuccesful attemps later the plan changed. Now here we are waiting for a top end gasket kit and the plan is to throw my old heads on the new bottom end and proceed. Sorry for the lack of photos so far but here are all of them I have now. Side note Im living that flip phone life (old school or no school) so they aren't the best lol. Stay tuned to see if I can pull off this frankestein build and have a running truck again by this weekend and then the rest of the "project" can procide. Any words of advise or input is whole heartedly welcome too guys!
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 434 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (35.19 KiB) Viewed 434 times
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Brand new oil pan and the metal left in it. Bye bye bearing
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
Original Poster
Blacksheep969
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Lifted 5.3L 4x4 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Blacksheep969's 2000 GMC Sierra Project

Postby Blacksheep969 [OP] » Feb 13 2019, 9:20am

Here are the last few pics as the garage sits right now. Waiting on the gasket kit now but hopefully she runs again by this weekend
Attachments
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
Original Poster
Blacksheep969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Feb 13 2019, 2:08pm

Well...I guess I will subscribe to your fiasco...lol. Hope it comes back together and not more issues...for a while at least.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain191,432 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby MOFF214 » Feb 13 2019, 6:16pm

What a clusterf***. That sucks dude. Good luck
2005 Silverado 1500HD LS 4x4
Lew Tune. Airaid MIT w/K&N drop. Cherry Bomb Vortex Exhaust.

2002 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 *SOLD*
MOFF214
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 13
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500HD 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Postby Capt Hoss » Feb 13 2019, 6:48pm

Sounds like to me you should have gotten a better lawyer to start with... Any good one worth their salt would have been able to rebut the claims of it being the same truck. I hope your luck gets better. I am going to follow this build, cause I like to see them get rebuilt. Where you at in OH, I may be able to give ya a hand or 2.
Capt Hoss
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2014
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: Crew Cab 6.2L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Blacksheep969 [OP] » Feb 14 2019, 4:28am

Capt Hoss im in southeast Ohio around the Muskingum/Perry County area. Head gaskets should be here by Friday and my old heads are going on the new motor as soon as they do. There's no reason it shouldn't run that night but the way this truck has been throwing things at me its hard to tell haha. Im having fun learning all the new stuff I have with this motor swap though and I can definitely say I know every single bolt on this truck inside and out now lol.
Original Poster
Blacksheep969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Blacksheep969 [OP] » Feb 14 2019, 4:53am

Put the new B&M Tork Master 2400 torque converter and a new pump seal in the trans tonight. Also got a badly needed new shift cable and trans filter put in too. If you noticed I pulled the original motor out with the torque converter on that was because it was welded to the cracked flexplate that was on it. No im not making that up either lol. When I bought the truck the torque converter literally fell off a week later and Loctite only went so far for the completely ruined threads in the flexplate so while I waited on a new converter a few quick welds did the trick. Feel free to laugh at this cluster**** guys im right there with ya :lol: Gotta laugh or else ill go crazy with this thing haha. Im trying to do everything the best I can with the best parts because I hate to see everything so half a**ed by the last owner and a good truck get ruined. Its coming along slowly but one day I hope I can say I have a nice truck that I built for the most part with my own hands.
Attachments
14.jpg
15.jpg
Original Poster
Blacksheep969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Blacksheep969 [OP] » Feb 21 2019, 5:33am

So as this build has showed me since day one, its gonna fight me every step of the way. The same still holds true up to this point. As of now the truck hasn't ran yet but not for lack of effort at all. I got the new head gaskets installed and dropped the motor down into the truck and completely bolted in and was preparing to set the intake manifold on when I realized one injector plug was stuck between the bell housing and block :shock: After totally reversing the process and doing it all again all was good and the intake manifold was put on and all plugs plugged in and to my knowledge it was ready to fire up. I did not bolt the torque converter to the flexplate yet because I wanted to make sure all was going to be well with the motor incase it had to come back out for any reason. When checking for clearance between the two before the firs start I noticed the torque converter was pretty tight against the flywheel and would not move back and forth like the stock one did. That doesn't seem right to me and I don't want to take the chance of hurting the new flexplate or torque converter or anything else in the trans. I know the torque converter seated down onto the input shaft 3 different times like it was supposed to but im wondering if it didn't pull back out a bit when I lifted the motor enough to free the injector plug? Either way at this point in time my plan is to drop the trans tomorrow as I have a new line for it anyway and a Merchant Auto pump upgrade kit for the transfer case I can install while its out as well. Its so hard to not be frustrated with this truck but at the same time all this work has taught me so much about the truck and mechanics in general. The way I see it id rather learn something and be irritated than have done nothing and be pleased about it. Any info or tips you guys have for this self taught (still learning) newbie to the ls world are always appreciated. If anything I hope this build is some entertainment for all you more experienced folks out there watching me go full send with little to no experience or knowledge :lol:
Attachments
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
Original Poster
Blacksheep969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MOFF214 » Feb 21 2019, 9:46pm

Jeez. It will be worth it in the end...probably. Glad you're posting pics as you go OP. Hopefully it is just a simple shift and you get everything lined up and going.
2005 Silverado 1500HD LS 4x4
Lew Tune. Airaid MIT w/K&N drop. Cherry Bomb Vortex Exhaust.

2002 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 *SOLD*
MOFF214
Topics: 13
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 1500HD 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » Feb 22 2019, 12:03am

Usually when things aren't working just right it's worth to tear back down and fix or inspect. It can cause a lot more issues than just "sending it".
silentbravo
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion