jQuery not supported.

BowMads 2002 Silverado “Ron”

Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

BowMads 2002 Silverado “Ron”

Postby BowMad [OP] » Sep 15 2018, 4:40pm

Long time stalker of the forum, but decided I would like a build thread to catalog the journey with my 02 Silverado Z71 1500 I call “Ron”. I’ll start with how Ron and I came into each other’s lives.

To start, I drove an 87 Jeep XJ for about 6-7 years. Eventually I saved up and bought a 04 Silverado. I had it for about 2 years but eventually had to sell it. I went for a while without a vehicle, but picked up a 97 Jeep XJ for a steal. I drove the 97 for about a year before realizing I wanted back in a full-size truck. The only way for that to happen, meant me selling both my jeeps. I posted both the jeeps and within 2 weeks had them sold!

When it came to getting a truck, my only necessities were 4x4 and under 100K miles. Preferably no rust, and in decent condition, but I was also on a budget. I searched far and wide, then one day I spotted this 02 Z71, burgundy in color, about 5 miles from the house at a local used auto parts place. I had never bought a vehicle from them but asked around and heard nothing but good things. I learned they buy wrecked cars and fix them up to resale. It’s usually just body work, nothing mechanical. So I stopped by to take a look, and immediately fell in love. The interior was about as clean as you’ll find an 02. The outside, I could tell they did some body work but it wasn’t bad enough to bother me. I found that the truck ran into something and they replaced both front fenders, front bumper, and one headlight. It’s an ECSB z71 4x4 with just a hair over 91K miles. I went home and told the wife I had found the one. Next day I gathered my money and took it for a test drive! Got done driving and struck up a deal, I was driving “Ron” home!

As mentioned, Ron is an 02 1500 Z71. Interior has the flip up middle seat. Has a drop in bedliner, and a trailer brake controller already installed. Besides that, it was bone stock with 91,032 miles. Date of purchase was 11-6-2017.

Here’s a picture of the day I got him. I’ve already done a few mods and I’ll post them when I have time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original Poster
BowMad
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: BowMads 2002 Silverado “Ron”

Postby nealinator » Sep 16 2018, 2:19am

A nice find. Look forward to following along the progress.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   185,189 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Sep 16 2018, 3:12am

Nice truck! Looks pretty clean. Welcome to the site.
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Fire Red-Bought new. 2" level-Michelin 275/60/20-DiabLew-Webasto Moonroof-Borla Touring 32 dmp-Bedrug-Helwig-Rosen-Denali grille-Extang-Raptor-Boss plow-SL1 LED's. 20,300 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby BowMad [OP] » Sep 16 2018, 2:45pm

One of the first things I did to Ron was add some cheap seat covers. I had some of those cheap camo universal fit ones in my Jeep, so I just transferred them over to Ron.

From there, I decided to plastidip all the Chevy emblems. It turned out good on the front, the others are just so small it’s hard to notice.Image

After doing that, I found a bunch of LED lights my dad had laying around. So I ended up doing the full LED interiors swap. They were all different brands but all match up pretty good. Love the white light compared to the old dim yellow from before. I’ll have to snag a pic when it gets dark.

For Christmas last year, the wife got me a Kenwood KDC-BT372U stereo. Nothing too fancy, but ads Bluetooth for hands free calling, and can play music from my phone. For what I wanted, it works great. Install of it was pretty simple, except I found one problem with these trucks. If 1 speaker shorts out, it shuts down all of the speakers. I had a loose wire on one speaker, and cause of it, none of my speakers would work. Took a little while for me to figure that out, but now all works well.

I also scored a free toolbox from my boss. It was on one of his work trucks, but they didn’t use it any more. Has a few cracks in it, but still opens and closes and locks. Costed me nothing but going to pick up!

Original Poster
BowMad
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BowMad [OP] » Sep 16 2018, 3:09pm

I had most of the mods in the last post done in a month or so. I settled down for a few months, but then this summer the mod bug bit again.

One thing that always bothered me was having only 2 cupholders. That’s fine if it’s just me. When I have someone with me it becomes a bit problematic. I did some searching, and found that a lot of the Regular cab NBS came with cupholders that flipped down from under the dash. I searched 2 scrap yards before I finally found one. It’s missing a plastic cover, but I just shot the bracket with a fresh coat of paint and it looks good to me. Here’s my new cupholders, along with my Kenwood stereo. Image Also snagged that little pocket to replace the air bag switch. I just moved it behind the glove box.

After doing this I started reading up on some performance mods. I’ve read all about CAI, exhaust, and tunes. I figured I’d start with the cheapest and work my way up if I decided to. After some shopping around I found a CAI about 45 minutes away for only $44 and change. I know it’s cheaper, and our trucks already did a good job of getting “cold air” but for the cost I like it. It added a bit more of a growl under the hood, especially on cooler days. No instructions came with it, but it was pretty easy if you just laid everything out. Here it is all installed.Image

Original Poster
BowMad
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » Sep 16 2018, 3:39pm

I'm confused about the cup holders. You say you have 2 and it's ok if it's just you but if you have someone with you it causes a problem. Do you usually have 2 cups just for you in the truck?
Only time I find the 2 cup holders in mine to be problematic is if I'm picking up more than 2 drinks to bring to other people and I don't have someone in the truck to help hold them.
Where are the original 2 cup holders? Mine are in front of the flip down console/seat back. The part you installed would probably block the 2 I have now.

Vision Manic wheels * BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X * DD SL1 headlights * E2 catch can * GMC floor liners
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby BowMad [OP] » Sep 16 2018, 4:01pm

I usually have a water or coffee in the original 2. Having the extra is handy when I go to a drive through and get drinks. Also serves as more storage for random stuff haha. I’ll get a better picture when Florence gets done rolling through.

Original Poster
BowMad
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BowMad [OP] » Sep 16 2018, 5:14pm

Sometime in the middle of summer I was rear ended while sitting in traffic. Dented both bumpers but mostly all cosmetic damage. Ended up getting new front and rear bumpers, new tow hooks, new tow hitch, and painted one bed side. Paint matches perfect, I can’t tell a difference. The other car didn’t fair so well.ImageImageImage

Original Poster
BowMad
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BowMad [OP] » Sep 16 2018, 5:26pm

After getting it back from the body shop, I decided the front rake had to go. I had some amazon gift cards laying and ended up purchasing some leveling torsion keys. After my gift cards it cost only $5 out my pocket. Install was pretty simple, rented the torsion key tool from O’Reilly. The tool made it a breeze, only trouble was the old keys a little seized to the torsion bars. Here it is the day I leveled it. Image

It had the stock tire size of 265/75/16 on it when I bought it. I don’t think they look too bad with it leveled. Here in VA we have to pass a safety inspection, and those tires weren’t going to make it. My inspection is due in October and I wanted to wait till then to get a new set. Well in the month of August I had 2 go flat on me. Looked like I ran over something both times. I got one patched and ran my spare tire on the other. Didn’t look like I’d make it till October on my old set. Over the course of a week I did a ton or research and read tons of reviews. I finally decided on the Falken Wildpeak AT3 in LT285/75/16.
Before Image
AfterImage
That’s a lot of rubberImage

Original Poster
BowMad
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silentbravosilentbravo is online! » Sep 16 2018, 7:50pm

Nice. It's tough to find a less than 100k NBS these days.

Any more interior pics?
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.0 4x4
Mods: Bilstein 5100s, Airaid M.I.T., Custom LED Fog Lights, Custom Tablet Center Console, Catch Can, E-fans, Backup Camera, Black Bear Performance Tuned
My Build Log: silentbravo's 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD
My YouTube Channel
silentbravosilentbravo is online!
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion