jQuery not supported.

Dirtcarver 2000 Chevy Silverado extended cab Z71

Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

Dirtcarver 2000 Chevy Silverado extended cab Z71

Postby Dirtcarver [OP] » Aug 29 2018, 12:10am

Here’s my build story. It’s about the truck, family, and how trucks sometimes bring those two together. Many of us here love cars and trucks of all types. I, like many of you spend countless hours on the interweb looking at all different types of vehicles. I also, came from a generation where we pined over car magazines that had stories about how certain projects came to be. As I thought about how I came into this project, I decided to document its story. As first posts go, I guess this is mine.
To be honest, it was not the truck I wanted. It has however become the focus of all of my attention.
At the announcement of the 2019 1500 Silverado Trail Boss, my wife and I went to our Chevy dealership and made an order. I told the salesman I wanted the new inline 6, baby Duramax. I told the salesman I didn’t care how long I’d have to wait, or how much it cost. As long as it was loaded with all the available creature comforts, I was going to be happy. As of this posting, that particular model has yet to hit the market.
Over the last several years, I made sure I had the peace of mind that my wife and kids were in either new or newer vehicles. Since buying my T*** Camry new in 2007, I’ve commuted it for 270,000 miles. I took the back seat to the needs of my family, having patience, waiting for my turn.
About a month after I ordered the new truck, I woke up to a text from my brother. He and his wife were in the midst of finishing a rebuild of their house into a swanky place for entertaining friends and coworkers. Having no kids, their lifestyle was relaxed, and relatively stress free. His text was of a picture of a 2014 GMC Z71. He was showing me a picture of the truck he had just purchased that morning. My confusion set in. Almost 15 years ago, brother had purchased a 2000 Silverado 4x4 step side from our father. He drove it for years with little or no upgrades. Recently, he’d made the decision to begin a build on the truck, starting with a substantial investment into a new lifted suspension, new steering components, and wheels and tires. Having knowledge of this very recent purchase, I sent the only reasonable response I could think of. “*****?” His response? “The old truck doesn’t have all the safety features available for a car seat." Pause…then laughter. Having raised two kids in, through, and around the roller coaster of life into young adults, the idea of him having a baby in his 40’s was hilarious. Of course, I was happy for him and his wife as I truly think they’ll make great parents. That didn’t stop me from laughing uncontrollably into the phone. After talking at length about the obvious, I asked about the truck. The new truck was purchased online, and was due in a week. Then, the conversation shifted to his old truck. Obviously, two trucks weren't needed. Dad passed away in 2008. The idea of selling the truck pulled on a sentimental string.
We began talking in what would become many, many, other conversations about the old truck. I tip toed into the conversation with my wife who was in all honesty very against the idea. How can any truck loving guy fault her? Her message was disappointment that I was trading a purchase of a brand new, loaded, lifted, diesel, Silverado, for an 18 year old truck with 180,000 miles, that would become a “project.” By the way, project is a dirty word in my house. I won’t get into that. Either way, I couldn’t stomach the idea of the truck going to a stranger. As we get further away from the time Dad passed, and I get a little older, I’m finding it a little harder to see his face. I do however, have certain memories of him in this truck. Ultimately, I chose not to let those go. Against my wife’s wishes, I purchased the truck from brother.
Fast forward to now. My wife has fully embraced this “project” and is letting me pull the trigger on building this truck into something I'll be happy driving everytime I get behind the wheel. We’ve worked out a general map to where we want to be at the end of the build. Interior, paint, and of course, the power plant. I’m aiming for 400-450 hp. If possible, I’d like to see how difficult it is to reach over 20 mpg, with a programmable eco mode. In turn, I’d like to be able to pull a trailer with no effort. And, although I know it’s not a must, I’d like it to sound like an animal.
There’s plans for most every part of the truck, other than the new suspension and wheels/tires. An additional bonus to the purchase was the stereo. Brother had a Pioneer AVIC 8000NEX touch screen deck, sub, and amp in the garage that was added in the sale. It’s not a complete system and I’ll make the additions as necessary. Definitely nice to have Apple Carplay in an older vehicle.
So, there it is. I’m not sure how long it will take for the next step. We know the motor and transmission are first. We’re set on a transmission from Monster, but the motor is still in the air. We’ve teetered between a stock LM7 crate, with a procharger, and an ATK 385 hp base with a FAST intake. Both have pros and cons and are relatively similar in cost. As I get closer over the next month to purchasing an engine, I hope to post the conversation on where our preferences lay.
I look forward to weighing and debating the different options.
Attachments
truck.jpg
Original Poster
Dirtcarver
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Dirtcarver 2000 Chevy Silverado extended cab Z71

Postby nealinator » Aug 30 2018, 9:12pm

Great story Dave. You had me laughing as well as touched by the sentiment of your father. I will follow your build with interest. Looks like it does have at least some wheels and tires upgraded. I really like that body style and recently grappled with one that I saw locally for sale. No family connection so not the pull like you have.

Curious how much was the sale price? Family discount at least I hope??

Also, post up more "before" pictures...engine...interior...etc....
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain192,029 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby Dirtcarver [OP] » Aug 31 2018, 1:02am

Basically he had just put $5k into the wheels, tires, lift, and suspension. When everything happened, he'd only driven 100 miles since the upgrade. Essentially, I just paid for the new upgrades. I'll try to get better overall baseline pictures in the next couple days. We're trying to figure out the pros/cons right now on which motor to order. There's been debate on whether to buy a stock LM7 replacement, that same motor only slightly built, or step up to the 6.0.
I'm currently leaning toward this...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp97
Cost, power, fuel effeciency, CA smogging, computers and tuning are all parts of the disussion. I'm open for debate.
Original Poster
Dirtcarver
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby OverlordSpock » Aug 31 2018, 2:34am

Welcome OP! Loved the story! The sentimentality of a parent's vehicle is a real thing and I totally understand not being able to let the truck go.

I'm going to agree with Neal in that this body style is great. My father-in-law had a 99 extended cab Z71 that I loved. He always said he'd sell it to me when he was ready, but the truck was traded before I was ready. Can't blame him for that.

I look forward to what you do with this truck! In for the updates!
OverlordSpock's 2016 Silverado LTZ Double-Cab
SOLD 2014 Silverado LTZ Double-Cab
SOLD 2008 Silverado LTZ Extended Cab
SOLD 1998 Silverado Extended Cab Sport Side
OverlordSpock
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2016
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 LTZ 5.3L
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby Dirtcarver [OP] » Aug 31 2018, 2:52am

Heres a quick list of the work done just prior to purchase...
AC Delco professional:
A-Arms upper and lower
A-Arm bushings and bolts
Tie rods and ends
Hubs
CV Axles
Calipers, back plates, drilled and slotted rotors. Front and rear.
Alignment pins and hardware
All bolts and hardware replaced with new Delco.
Moog ball joints
EBC pads
Supreme 3/2 leveling lift
Zone 3” body lift
20x9 0 backspace Moto Metal wheels
Toyo open country MT 33x12.5 tires.

And..sitting in the shop today getting...
Earls stainless brake lines
Ac Delco idler arm.
Original Poster
Dirtcarver
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Aug 31 2018, 3:18am

I somehow missed the lift and upgrade stuff. Does sound like a good family deal. Was looking at one that the guy wanted $5k but would need me to put a lot more in it to make it nice and then would not be work but near $5k still. Now if it was a family vehicle and I planned on keeping it, then it would really not matter so much.
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby Dirtcarver [OP] » Aug 31 2018, 4:00am

I think it was a good deal as well. The lift, the wheels and tires, brakes, stereo, and a whole host of other things made it a good deal in and of itself. There was one main factor. When I first started talking about it, a reoccurring message was this; To move forward, there would have to be the understanding that I wouldn’t be able to get out of it what I was putting in. I was good with that. I’ll make sure it has all the things I wanted in the new truck and some. The value came from somewhere else. I’m fairly certain I’m not alone when I say I get more sentimental the older I get. I’ve become the guy that will watch Field of Dreams to the end just to watch the last scene. Hopefully tonight I can post some of the “before lift” pictures and how it got there. Until then, I leave you with this…

https://youtu.be/Yy6sSp6IY7c
Original Poster
Dirtcarver
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Dirtcarver [OP] » Aug 31 2018, 9:09am

Pictures of the initial wheels/tires and stance. Also some of the before and after under chassis work.
Attachments
IMG_1278.jpg
Before suspension work
IMG_1293.jpg
Original wheels/tires and stance
IMG_1290 2.jpg
New suspension, lift, and brakes
Original Poster
Dirtcarver
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Dirtcarver [OP] » Sep 29 2018, 8:04pm

So a little progress. The truck was transferred into my name (obviously from a sibling) into a county that doesn't require smog. Normally, I'd have to have it smogged during the change of ownership. Then, I wouldn't need to smog it ever again. Yes that's right, CA does have some counties that don't require smog checks after the transfer of ownership is complete. Plus, if the transfer is from an immediate family member, the smog check during transfer of ownership is waived. Not sure how long that will last with the current climate of craziness, but until something changes, she's done making visits to the smog shop. Yes, we know, those of you not in CA are shaking you heads. We know.
Also, I had some parts show up. Headlights, taillights, and a grill. I'm not sure about the grill yet. We'll see once it's on. The LED bulbs are on order and Captain Amazon should be making a visit soon. We'll see how long it takes to get these guys installed. I'll take before and afters.
Attachments
IMG_7502CF49133C-1.jpeg
Original Poster
Dirtcarver
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Sep 29 2018, 9:31pm

Staying tuned for the installed pics. Curious what grille you have.
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users
Next

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion