jQuery not supported.

dp454so's 2016 Silverado LTZ Z71 6.2 build

Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

dp454so's 2016 Silverado LTZ Z71 6.2 build

Postby dp454so [OP] » Dec 28 2017, 11:31pm

whats up fellas!! My original first intro post can be found here: New guy-'16 sierra (5.3) all-terrain or '16 LTZ z71 (6.2)??

I looked long and hard for a white LTZ configured like this one. I bought the truck a few months ago with 9k miles on it and whoever had it before me lowered the truck. The first thing I want to do is get the suspension back to factory and after some driving time, I'll see if I want to lift/level her out. At first, I kinda liked the lowered stance of the truck and still think it looks pretty good as a "sporty" truck but have since changed my overall tune on the issue. The air dam on the front catches on curbs and the limited travel and firm spring rate from the "drop" springs in the front make the ride a little harsh. The rear is missing the factory spring block spacers which are easily enough replaceable.

My overall build sheet looks something like this:
daily driver, not a work truck
2016 Silverado LTZ Z71
6.2 / 376 motaaa
bright white with some shiny bits
lotsa bells and whistles
jet black interior
22" gloss black chevy rims
Weathertech's throughout
Greyman tactical seat back organizer on drivers side - adding another soon:
https://greyman-tactical.com/collection ... ntal-rip-m
siriusXM
AMP bedextender HD Max: http://www.amp-research.com/products/tr ... ender/max/
soft tri-folding tonneau cover
throaty magnaflow muffla - single side exit - passenger
dark tint

The plan:
1 - get the suspension back to factory - replace front springs and add factory rear blocks
-- in time, may add about a 2" lift but I'd like to retain some of the factory rake. The more I think about it, I should just do the lift now.
2 - tires - the factory meats are pretty worn and am looking at the Nitto Trail Grappler G2's (https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-t ... FbEALw_wcB). I'd prefer BFG AT KO2's but cant with the factory 22" chevy rims
-- with a lift, I'd go with a taller and wider tire - I'm not 100% on the size yet that would work well with a 2" lift and thin wheel spacers...
3 - running boards: Looking at the powered AMP boards but open to other (cheaper) options.
4 - Wheel Spacers: I'd like the tires to be a smidge (1/2" or so) out from the fenders... should only require a pretty thin spacer.
5 - 3M invisible mask for the rest of the front of the truck. Already have the lower bumper section on and it does a helluva job.
6 - cold air intake - not sure of make/model yet. Still researching.
7 - programmer - not sure of make/model yet. Still researching. Don't want to void warranty but I like powwaaa :D
8 - ladder/traction bars - not 100% sure on this or of the make/model yet. Still researching.
9 - compact antenna - not sure of make/model yet. Still researching.
10 - weather proof bed mat of some sort
11 - minimal fender flares. I really like the ones that come on GMC's and would like to paint (rhinocoated in bright white to match truck) and add them to my Silverado. Has anyone done this before? Actually, these don't look too bad: http://www.bushwacker.com/fender-flares ... k-40956-02
12 - bed rail protector: https://www.amazon.com/Bushwacker-49520 ... automotive
Attachments
IMG-2429.JPG
IMG-2430.JPG
IMG-2431.JPG
IMG-2433.JPG
IMG-2688.JPG
Ranger - my copilot
IMG-2795.JPG
IMG-2851.JPG
mine next to my boss's 2500 with a 2" lift/level and bigger tires
Original Poster
dp454so
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: dp454so's 2016 Silverado LTZ Z71 6.2 build

Postby dp454so [OP] » Dec 29 2017, 2:21pm

I didn't mention above, but if anyone here has thoughts on the parts or systems I have listed, please chime in!
Original Poster
dp454so
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Dec 29 2017, 2:55pm

Do not do 4 or 11.

2- with less than 10k on those tires they are no where close to being worn, my brother inlaw has the same ones on his rally edition he just hit 70k and had to have them replaced, they are a very good wearing tire, they just do not have a deep tread pattern.

4- You would need a minimum of a 1.5in adapter to clear your lugs and to get the tires to stick out past the fenders, the thin spacers are dangerous and take away from the amount of bite your lug nuts get. The adapters are a pain because you have to check the torque constantly and a good set of boras are not cheap. Just buy a proper offset wheel if thats the look you want. Also when you run spacers or offset wheels it decreases the size of the tire you can run due to clearance issues.

11- Unless you add large spacers to fill out the flairs and a 6in lift it will kill the clean look of your truck, a non lifted truck shouldnt have flares. Generally retired gentlemen raid their JC Whitney catalog and just throw them on their close to stock height truck, along with other chrome doodads
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 101
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby dp454so [OP] » Jan 02 2018, 6:23pm

ferraiolo1 wrote:Do not do 4 or 11.

4- You would need a minimum of a 1.5in adapter to clear your lugs and to get the tires to stick out past the fenders, the thin spacers are dangerous and take away from the amount of bite your lug nuts get. The adapters are a pain because you have to check the torque constantly and a good set of boras are not cheap. Just buy a proper offset wheel if thats the look you want. Also when you run spacers or offset wheels it decreases the size of the tire you can run due to clearance issues.

I hear ya but Bora's are still cheaper than new wheels and I'd like to keep the factory 22's. Does running the Bora's void my factory warranty?
Original Poster
dp454so
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jan 02 2018, 6:27pm

It can, if something in your suspension breaks or a wheel bearing goes bad they will blame it on them. Or just don't add flares and then you wont have the need to add spacers to fill them out.
ferraiolo1
Topics: 101
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Malaki » Jan 02 2018, 10:19pm

Your truck looks sharp! I like the dark window tint against the white truck. Looking forward to what you have planned.

I would also recommend just getting wheels with offset so you have the look you want. I did and I am very happy with them and I know they are much safer than wheel spacers. But if cheap is what you want then go with the spacers. Just remember you get what you pay for.
2017 GMC Sierra Build - Malaki 2017 GMC Sierra Build
2003 Silverado 1500HD Build - Malaki 2003 1500HD Build
Malaki
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 98
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 double cab 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby Iridium15 » Jan 02 2018, 10:26pm

Nice looking truck !
Iridium15
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: GMCSierra double cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dp454so [OP] » Nov 13 2020, 3:55pm

Thread resurrections here fellas! Wow, time flies. 92k on the truck now. Appreciate the previous feedback.

1- Suspension:
I have spent a ton of time researching the options for these 14-18's. Good news is that there is a TON of options out there depending on your need & wallet. My intent is to learn as I go and play around with components & parts until I get the truck dialed in. Ultimately, I'd love this truck to evolve into a "luxury" chase/prerunner truck... but I need to jump another tax bracket before talking long-travel kits, bed cages, and such... 8-) Once I get the chassis tuned, I dig into the 6.2 for a little more juice.

To get this truck back to stock, I need new front knuckles, rear factory shackles, and the leaf spring spacer (block) back on the truck. I have these parts ordered from the local GM dealer and will install myself over the next few weeks. Should be around $700 for all of the needed parts and hardware all-around.

But not stopping there, and after driving (suffering) the truck for this long with this ****** lowered suspension, I found a shop that has 1-3" king 2.5's with resi's & adjusters and am contemplating pulling the trigger on them - although that is a lot of scratch. I love the idea of being able to tune the shocks and know I will enjoy having them on the truck. (adjustable Fox's coming at about the same price point). https://www.filthymotorsports.com/King_ ... 01-148.htm A cheaper option I'm working on is the Billstein 6112 kit but they lack the tuneability and re-buildability of the Kings but do allow for ride-height adjustment and the reviews seem pretty solid across the board. https://www.shocksurplus.com/products/b ... 00-4wd-rwd

For the rear, I'd rather NOT use the factory block and use a Deaver mini-pack "J1's" under the factory leafs instead. Does anyone know how much, if any, this impacts towing & payload? I haven't been able to find definitive info and haven't heard back from Deaver. I DO NOT do either regularly but it's a consideration. These have some adjustability in 3/8" increments which is nice. https://performancelifts.com/deaver-gm- ... ck-j1.html With the Kings/Billsteins in front raising near 3", delete the rear block, and with the mini-pack (+2"), I should be able to retain a little rake which I do want.

I've also considered upgrading the EOM rear shackle and hanger kit to Dirt King's parts but might hold off for now, or until I go with a full set of Deaver 182 long-travel leafs. https://dirtkingfabrication.com/product ... 6082802721 Deaver 182:
https://dirtkingfabrication.com/product ... 6747336727

FYI, doing a lot of my own research, the guys at down south motorsports, accutune, dirt king, CWF, and filthy motorsports are extremely knowledgeable about these trucks. If you have questions, get in touch with them and save yourself from guessing.

2 - Tires:
The Nitto G2's are still hanging in there after almost 45k miles. Not looking to replace those now unless I try to go with more lift. If I do go with more lift, I'll be swapping rims to methods in probably 17"-20"s and run BFG TA KO 2's.

3 - Running boards:
Still loving the AMP's but find it hard to spend $1400 on them. That money could toward a REtrax Pro XR & alternate tube-style boards. Digging the reviews and look of these but wish they came in Gloss Black: https://www.americantrucks.com/nfab-cab ... chevy.html Open to suggestions.

4 - Wheel spacers:
I've scratched this idea due to further research and the recommendations here.

5 - 3M mask:
After 92k, the truck still looks great. Scratching this but will implement on the next "new" vehicle purchase.

6 - Cold air intake:
Looking at the K&N blackhawk https://www.americantrucks.com/kn-black ... 17-62.html Open to suggestions.

7 - programmer / tuner:
Not sure at this point. Several decent options out there but I don't want to risk the factory computer. I'll also be adding other bolt-ons (CAI, headers, maybe a throttle body) and need to have a tuner that can accomodate that hardware. Guess I should talk to a tuning shop on a "customizeable" tuner they recommend. Open to suggestions.

8 - ladder / traction bars:
not needed at this point. If I go bonkers with a procharger in the future, I'll dig deeper as needed on this.

10 - weatherproof bed mat:
Truck came with a spray-in bedliner and a cheap tri-fold vinyl tonneau. I'm looking at the bedrug XLT mat: https://realtruck.com/p/bedrug-xlt-bed- ... 1500/2016/

11 - fender flares:
Not sold on installing these right now. I can't find a low-profile, EOM look, that has good reviews and will give the "flush" and clean look I'm going for. Reviews for flares that look good on paper are reported to not actually sit flush to the body curves leaving large gaps. Open to suggestions.

12 - bed rail protector:
Not needed as I'll be running a tonneau

13 - tonneau
Currently factory 3 panel vinly folding type. Like the utility of the REtrax Pro XR's and the ability to add racks/bars/cargo above the cover. Utility comes at a price though. https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr/2016/ch ... erado-1500 (can be found for less through resellers)
Original Poster
dp454so
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Nov 13 2020, 4:17pm

CAI, don't waste your money. Unless you're going to spend a lot of time near redline, it won't really do anything for your except look cool under the hood. That design will actually suck-in hot air from under the hood. The stock air box is already a CAI. Maybe do an Airaid MIT tube with the stock air box.

Tuner, check with Lew about his DiabLew tunes. You'll love what he does for the truck. http://www.diablew.net/
'13 ECSB 4x4 5.3 6sp 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,250 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Nov 13 2020, 4:54pm

Seems like you are really on track with most of your mods.. as far as what you have decided not to do.

Except.. don't waste your money on the CAI and really the flares could just cause you headache in the future. None seem to fit perfectly and due to that could rub your paint or trap stuff behind them.

I am also happy with my diablo intune programmer, The custom tune woke it up for sure.

I have the deaver mini pack on mine. Here is a link to the install thread.
Deaver Leaf Spring Review
144,208 as of 3/5/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 61
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Next

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion