jQuery not supported.

EaOutlaw1969’s 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 build

Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

EaOutlaw1969’s 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 build

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Jun 10 2020, 9:28pm

Every build has to start somewhere for me it has been getting to know my truck a little better, today I topped of the air pressure in the 20inch tires finding the original Never used 17 inch spare tire flat.
Glad I checked before I needed it. While I was under there I found the dealer put the wrong tag screws in causing me to almost lose my tag. Thankfully I had some nice stainless screws that worked great.
While under the truck I was impressed by the massive aluminum driveshaft and how clean the underside is.
My first real project will be a tuner not sure which one yet as I will do engine and exhaust mods over time plus I will do a AFM disable for now and a oil catch can.
I want to install Color matched hard topper ( camper shell ) and a large capacity fuel storage tank with transfer pump to be used during Hurricane season.
The seats eventually will be disassembled the covers cleaned and the lower cushions with 65000 miles on them will be tossed.
I love the idea of long tube headers and true dual exhaust but I would rather keep the emissions system intact so I may just run shorties with a cat back system.
I plan on B&M transmission pan and rear end cover both finned with drains.
I would like to install a dual remote Amsoil bypass filter for the engine
A 6.0 liter intake and throttle body plus a true cold air intake way down the road.
I can see this truck leveled in the front with some decent chrome lug nuts to replace the open ended stock lugs that came with the OE stock rims.
Then I would like to come up with some sort of graphics to cover the nicks and scratches it does have or just get those areas painted one day.
I also plan on getting rid of the stick on rain guards and go with in channel ones.
The last thing I can think of is replacement key fobs and one new key so I have a spare.
I am sure I will add more audio gear but the Sony and whatever speakers that are installed sound great and even have decent bass.
05BE31C1-DE0B-465F-BE31-369E3A1E3595.jpeg
E65B380D-42C2-4492-999D-D710583B7815.jpeg
960586EB-954E-41C6-A22E-22A84B635068.jpeg
B478C976-FFA9-40B1-BDCD-1B4B7442D95A.jpeg
1802F602-DED5-4DAE-B579-96EB55B64C65.jpeg
E406C203-8793-45DA-97CF-93AE69D5BC8F.jpeg
BAA09129-57E8-406D-BC48-559B891D2C7D.jpeg
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: EaOutlaw1969’s 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 build

Postby nealinator » Jun 11 2020, 3:52pm

Hey Kevin...good to see you started this up and glad to see what your truck looks like. Sounds like you are working your way though it and will get to the fluids and stuff soon.

I had rain guards on mine also and ditched them. One was broken and whistling and the were pretty sun damaged. I wish I had known about those eraser wheels when I did mine...ended up damaging a little section of paint scraping off the sticky goo.

I would highly recommended getting an Intune I3 which will allow you to later get a custom tune by Lew should you like. He can tweak it to your specific truck and all the mods you mentioned and can make adjustments with it that we cannot just using the canned device. Really does maximize the power and drive ability of our trucks.

I did a similar seat cover swap on mine after getting some take-offs on ebay for cheap. Almost time to do the seat bottoms again!

Looking forward to your progress.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   186,861 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Jun 11 2020, 4:07pm

Great looking single cab in white....I really like the wheels! There aren't many single cabs in this site.
I'll second the I3 and a Lew tune. Nothing better.

I have the exact same interior, and at 99K, my seat cushion still feels good. In fact, after you mentioned it, I went out and did a "butt test," and compared it with my passenger seat,(which hardly ever gets used,) and both feel the same. I did, however add the Carhartt heavy duty denim washable seat covers, and my seats still look brand new underneath.

As far as adding a large capacity fuel storage tank, you may want to check the "legalities" of that with a hard topper. It does make it a confined space, and as I'm sure you know, gasoline is a lot more volatile than diesel. I've never seen a set-up like that in Texas, and I know many farmers and ranchers here in Texas that have tanks, but they're never enclosed. Just a suggestion.

Enjoy the truck! Looking to see your progress!

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

102,900 miles 8/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 92
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Jun 11 2020, 4:15pm

Thanks Neal I look forward doing anything to my truck that my back will let me get away with. I will have to look into the Intune13 sounds like just the thing I need. I will just have to try and keep myself in check and not over do it with performance modifications.
I had a 2004 GTO that I loved and kept wanting more and more out of out it changing this and that along the way until it was just too powerful with way too little traction. I got rid of it before I hurt someone or got in trouble, It was just too tempting to stomp on that go go pedal.
Now that I am financially and physically limited ( I am hopeful it will be easier to not go too far )
This being said I am already chomping at the bit to use up what fuel the dealer put in my truck so I can fill up with E85 which makes me wonder if these tuners have a E85 tune setting that can be set back easily to lets say regular unleaded when I cannot get to E85?
Lots more to learn I guess.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jun 11 2020, 4:27pm

This is by far the best bang for your buck: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RFB-DiabloSpor ... 3421611740
Refurbished from the actual manufacturer. They will put up a few and when they sell out it will go out of stock until others come in.

I think Lew does an E85 tune. But if you also wanted tunes for the different octane fuels...you would have to purchase separate tunes from him. Starts to add up then. I just have the one 87 octane tune and am fine with that. I think the price goes down for the other tunes once you buy the first one. He is a member on here and will answer your questions when you are ready.
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Jun 11 2020, 4:38pm

roorancher wrote:Great looking single cab in white....I really like the wheels! There aren't many single cabs in this site.
I'll second the I3 and a Lew tune. Nothing better.

I have the exact same interior, and at 99K, my seat cushion still feels good. In fact, after you mentioned it, I went out and did a "butt test," and compared it with my passenger seat,(which hardly ever gets used,) and both feel the same. I did, however add the Carhartt heavy duty denim washable seat covers, and my seats still look brand new underneath.

As far as adding a large capacity fuel storage tank, you may want to check the "legalities" of that with a hard topper. It does make it a confined space, and as I'm sure you know, gasoline is a lot more volatile than diesel. I've never seen a set-up like that in Texas, and I know many farmers and ranchers here in Texas that have tanks, but they're never enclosed. Just a suggestion.

Enjoy the truck! Looking to see your progress!

I found the lower seat cushions at a GM site for 75 bucks each so I figured I would buy two of them while I can, the drivers side is only crushed down slightly on one side from someone getting in and out. Once I get the seats out and apart I will get a better idea if I want to try and save the cushions and covers or just replace them.

This truck has BO or sweat smell that I have made better with UV lights but it is still there, My old Ranger I also bought used and eventually gave to my sister was plagued with the same problem I swapped out the covers for leather and used steam fabreeze coffee grinds baking soda ETC but the smell was still there deep in the slightly deteriorated cushions both trucks the smell is more obvious once the truck has baked in the sun for hours.
Which is why I kind of just want to replace all the cushions and wash or replace the covers.

It just makes me feel like I am wearing someones old dirty clothes if you know what I mean.

I guess I could ditch the fuel tank idea for a better option and just get a in ground propane tank for my generator needs which is way less hassle than gasoline.

The last scare we had and never lost power I had to deal with close to 70 gallons of fuel back then I was able to pump it in my Wife's Cooper but then she was at least racking up some miles as a Mobil notary signing agent even then it took almost three months to get rid of it all the surplus fuel.

The sad part is my generator would have drank up that fuel in only 3-4 days LOL.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Jun 11 2020, 4:43pm

nealinator wrote:This is by far the best bang for your buck: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RFB-DiabloSpor ... 3421611740
Refurbished from the actual manufacturer. They will put up a few and when they sell out it will go out of stock until others come in.

I think Lew does an E85 tune. But if you also wanted tunes for the different octane fuels...you would have to purchase separate tunes from him. Starts to add up then. I just have the one 87 octane tune and am fine with that. I think the price goes down for the other tunes once you buy the first one. He is a member on here and will answer your questions when you are ready.

That is a great price thanks for the link, I hope to be able to snag one up before they are gone. I decided to stay put here and we are in the middle of refinancing our house so I cannot spend any cash or credit without the fear of changing our loan terms.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jun 11 2020, 4:56pm

Even if they sell out this time...keep it on your watch list and they will come back around. And once in a while one is listed for sale on this site...but usually not this cheap and you don't get the 90 day warranty even.

I hear you on the financial lock down during the refinance or loan period... we have gone through that a few times and it is just so funny to me to have to write a letter to the underwriter for small $100 checks or deposits made. I mean yeah...if there was some mystery $10k or $50k deposit...I get it...but $100 bucks?! I think that it was more on the deposit side of things and not so much purchases. But could not go out and buy a car and deplete cash in a big way...nor any new loans.
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Jun 11 2020, 5:01pm

nealinator wrote:I hear you on the financial lock down during the refinance or loan period... we have gone through that a few times and it is just so funny to me to have to write a letter to the underwriter for small $100 checks or deposits made. I mean yeah...if there was some mystery $10k or $50k deposit...I get it...but $100 bucks?! I think that it was more on the deposit side of things and not so much purchases. But could not go out and buy a car and deplete cash in a big way...nor any new loans.

That is all dependent on your credit score and relationship with your banker, especially if you're dealing with a local or community bank vs. a national or global institution.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

102,900 miles 8/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 92
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 [OP] » Jun 11 2020, 8:57pm

Yeah I wanted to go with Chase bank and My wife and both have a middle credit score of 695 on Fico and 100k equity plus stable pandemic immune incomes yet with the pandemic they made credit score requirements of 700 minimum where before the pandemic you could get away with a much lower score.
They just tease you with 2.7% interest rates which we could have got with Chase but just because they checked our scores it lowered just below the threshold score. now we are trying with a less describable company that my Wife found since I got mad and nearly walked away from the idea of refinancing
so yet another hard pull.
The formulas to getting and keeping decent credit scores suck and are so frigging stupid it is enough to drive you nuts.
One reporting agency gives you max score for having 0-1% of your credit limit charged while Fico nose dives your score for keeping too low of balances.
I would like to get a hold of whom ever came up with these scoring models tie them to the hood of my GMC and take them for a ride off road for a while until they decide to play nice.
Original Poster
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next