jQuery not supported.

ElReeso´s 2010 Silverado 2500HD Build

Build and Show Thread on my first GM Truck
Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

Re: ElReeso´s 2010 Silverado 2500HD Build

Postby ElReeso [OP] » Feb 05 2019, 8:36pm

nealinator wrote:What an adventure. Sure does not look like a place for a low to the ground BMW!

It was! Not sure why he thought he can make it. I called him and told him to bring the wheelloader or a tractor otherwise I won‘t get out. He must have thought I was overacting... but was a nice day, good food and alot of laughs :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

2010 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L 4x4 WT Trim

2" Torsion Key Lift

Cragars Black Window 17x9

BFG KM2 265/70 R17

Original Poster
ElReeso
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500 HD 6.0L WT 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby jake2250 » Feb 05 2019, 9:49pm

Oh that was in some deep snow! Did your dads BMW have all wheel drive?
What kinda tires are you running? I have Highway tires on now and wouldn't attempt diving in the snow,, I do have tire chains but it would have to be an emergency for me to drive in the snow,,,,Even the wifes car I wouldn't attempt it! Real wide low profile tires on her car wouldn't stand a chance!
Unimogs are great!! They can almost do anything!
At least you were having fun!!
I am to old to be getting stuck like that! Glad to hear the truck is doing good!
jake2250
First Responder
First Responder
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
First Responders

Postby ElReeso [OP] » Feb 05 2019, 10:40pm

Yes its the xDrive 530 with 6 speed manual.. so actually not the baddest choice for winter driving..
He actually made it to the top where I was with the guy in the defender.

When he backed up down the hill he left the main path just a few inches and he sat flat on the unnder carriage..

I‘m running my winter setup which is stock 16“ rims wrapped in Continental CrossContact winter tires. Not ideal for deep snow, my MT‘s are better in deep snow but I do alot of highway driving in winter and the MT‘s are dangerous on iced roads. With my girl borrowing the truck sometimes I decided to go with real winter tires.
I had no problem with them in deep snow so far and they have good grip. I guess the problem was the wet snow.. really felt like it was just sucking me in there and then the tires spun free because of all the snow under the axle.. i wasn‘t able to locate my drive shaft first because of all that snow :D

While removing most of it I broke my newly accuired shovel..

Had to get my two 20 year old Bundeswehr (Army) Shovels :D

Truck threw a ABS light when hitting 4LO but got away after I was back on the road.
Unfortunatly I had no time to take some pics with the Unimog.. and he told me to not tell anybody local because he actually tool the shops Unimog and was still on work time

2" Torsion Key Lift

BFG KM2 265/70 R17

Original Poster
ElReeso
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby ElReeso [OP] » Feb 21 2019, 4:56pm

A week ago I prepared the truck for another roadtrip to Berlin and back. Needed a trailer and the Trailer wiring was all messed up from th guy who did the EU Conversion for lights :evil:
Alot of useless wires, modules and wire nuts.. Not the best method when you drive on salty roads...
He even managed to install the old 7Pin Trailer Connector that was banned around 2012.. gave me an adapter for the 13Pin Connector and Trailer was making funny things.. lights were off, stepping on the brake and the running lights turned on instead of the Brake Lights. Turnsignals lead to the whole Trailer to blink in different Patterns.

No way I could drive 6-8h like that on the Autobahn.. Cops would have busted me soon. I decided to cut out all unnecessary stuff and use the original US 7Pin connector.
Only Problem was that the US based wiring has one wire for brake and turn signal, while in Germany we need seperated wires and seperated Signals. I look at my Wiring Diagrams for hours and found where the turn signal and brake signal get combined into one wire. Ít´s the Underhood Fuse Box at the Trailer Relay.. but there was a bunch of different wires and the manual had no color code for the Brake signal wire.
Decided to let it go and have some funny lights while braking and blinking but that was ok for this Trip. When ever I activated the turn signal the brake light would flash and vice versa.

This is about half of the stuff I cut out..

Foto 10.02.19, 18 28 31.jpg

Foto 10.02.19, 18 28 16.jpg

Drove to Berlin after not getting plates for the C10 and a huge discussion at the local DMV. Original time frame was destroyed and I drove into the dark.. Around 100mi before Berlin and around 1am I heard a scraping sound. One of the trailer ramps fell out of the trailer and was sliding into the ditch. Stopped, took my flashlight and searched 30mins without finding it. No idea where it was... I saw it in my mirror and immediatly stopped but couldn´t locate it anywhere. 375€ for a new ramp now...

3am in Berlin, slept till 8 am and then borrowed some ramps to load the C10. Worked fine till the front wheels were on the trailer and the rear wheels alread touched the ramps. Happened in a split second and the ramps snapped up into the C10´s fender corners.. bent corners :evil:
Continued loading it and then brought the ramps back to the vendor. Started my trip back to the south... worked flawless and the Truck did a great job towing! Even my MPG´s were around 14-15 mpg at 60mph. Was at home around 3am.

But those Pictures of the sunset were worth this horror trip! And of course the C10 was :D

Foto 15.02.19, 17 31 53.jpg

Foto 15.02.19, 17 31 19.jpg

2" Torsion Key Lift

BFG KM2 265/70 R17

Original Poster
ElReeso
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Feb 21 2019, 5:09pm

What an adventure! Hard to believe someone just threw wiring on there with clamp connectors like that.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   162,946 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Michelin 305/50R20 - Airaid MIT
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - DiabLew Tune

$$$ Total Build Cost $$$
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 153
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Supporters
Registered users

Postby ElReeso [OP] » Feb 21 2019, 6:16pm

nealinator wrote:What an adventure! Hard to believe someone just threw wiring on there with clamp connectors like that.

„Professional Upfitters always do this!“

It was done horrible.. like most of the conversion. Some day I‘ll post pics of the front wiring..

2" Torsion Key Lift

BFG KM2 265/70 R17

Original Poster
ElReeso
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby ElReeso [OP] » Mar 11 2019, 4:56pm

Small „Mod“ I did last week.

I had this cheap ebay light ordered a while ago and it took forever to ship.. then I had it laying around 5-6 weeks till I got the time and motivation to finally mount it.

Its one of these 3-set red marker lights you mount under the tailgate like the 3500 got stock.

So I went out to the truck, took the tailgate off and mounted it with clamps. Was a good Idea because my initial mount height was interferring with the Tailgate closing.
I set it at the lowest possible and drilled the holes. Two for the screws and one for the power cable.
The light gets its own ground through the screws so I decided to sand the contact are on the light and under the bed. Sanded it down to bare metal and tested it.
Worked, so I got ahead and mounted the light, routed the wire up to the taillight and grabbed the taillight signal there.

Test fitted the bumper plastics and as shown in an other picture I found online the plastic blocked nearly all the light output. Cut the plastic (didn‘t matter because I wanted to replace it some day) and gave the metal a good coat of rust resistant paint to proctect the grounds against rust.

I‘m not super happy how the cut plastic looks but it was a quick job so I‘ll think avout some cover posibilities right now. I‘ll like to add a more soft corner or what ever.

Here is the ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-3-Lamp-Cle ... ctupt=true

Enough talk. Here are some pics of it.

2" Torsion Key Lift

BFG KM2 265/70 R17

Original Poster
ElReeso
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby GOAT721 » Mar 11 2019, 5:41pm

looks good!
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 42
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby inkaholic » Mar 12 2019, 4:40am

Those do look pretty good for an inexpensive mod. Much better than the LED “fire and ice” bars.
4.5" MaxTrac Spindle Lift
1.25" RC Body Lift
Bilstein 5100s
33x12.50r20 on 20x9 +0 American Eagle Wheels
LTZ Grille
Airaid MIT
DiaboSport Tune

The warrior above all others prays for peace, for it is the warrior above all others who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.
inkaholic
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: CCSB LT2
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby ElReeso [OP] » Mar 12 2019, 9:13am

inkaholic wrote:Those do look pretty good for an inexpensive mod. Much better than the LED “fire and ice” bars.

Thank you! I had one of these tailgate light strips planned and it is laying here.. held it on and it just wasn‘t my style.

I really like these 3 little lamps, playing well with the dressed up front with the cab lights.
I‘ll eventually will get the bumper plastics from the 3500 which already has a smooth cut from factory.. just not sure when it will happen

2" Torsion Key Lift

BFG KM2 265/70 R17

Original Poster
ElReeso