jQuery not supported.

Hubweims’ 2018 Silverado High Country Build/Project

2018 Silverado High Country
Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

Re: Hubweims’ 2018 Silverado High Country Build/Project

Postby green68mustang_2002 » Jul 11 2018, 11:25pm

I have an elite engineering catch can on my 15. There are several different brands out there. I know a few on here have the same one as i do.
green68mustang_2002
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 74
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Extra Info: SLT Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GOAT721 » Jul 12 2018, 1:37pm

^ I have the elite also. easy install, effective, looks good
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 12 2018, 2:20pm

Thanks, gentlemen. However, can someone break it down real elementary for me. I get the idea of what a catch can does. I can get behind the idea of why it may be needed. But just like with the Tuner/Programmer, it seems that there’s a split of people that believe in and install them, and then the other half of the population that seem to laugh at the idea. Then, as with Tuners, there’s all the “GM will void your warranty.”

Can a couple of you guys break it down for me....how important is it? What are the cons if I do it vs the cons if I don’t? Are there any real cases of this part being used to deny or void “warranty” or is all something someone heard from someone who read something a bout someone who lived In Grest Britain.

Please help a man out. Someone asked me if I was going to do it on here, and I said yes. They also said it was really important with these 5.3L engines. Why is that? Why are they so important?
Original Poster
Hubweims
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2018
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 05Canuck » Jul 12 2018, 2:53pm

Im no mechanic and today they dont even call them that. I believe they are technicians...I say wizards is more like it.
I put one on mine on day two of ownership...it.came of my 15 and my service guy has never said a thing. Anyways, dierct injection motors have blow by its nature of the beast..what is not consumed in the act of combustion is expelled thru the "dirty" side of the pvc and piped right back in the "clean" side. So you have all that crap being blown back into the combustion chamber coat the valves on the way thru...check my build thread I have picks of the crud thays in my CC.
Im pretty sure I have it right
..if not someone correct me. I beleve its even worse if you have Not disabled the afm.
1965 SS Impala 327 4spd
05Canuck
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 55
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2019
Extra Info: I jumped the fence
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jul 12 2018, 3:21pm

Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain192,029 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Topics: 170
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 12 2018, 3:40pm

Thanks. So, I have a few questions that I’m hoping you guys can help with. Obviously, I’m brand new to catch can. Sorry for being a newb. Also, I’m ready to get one on the way and I have decided on an elite based on all of you who responded are running them. So, no pressure, but I’m going to 100% trust you on what I should get. So, can you guys help me outfit appropriately for my 2018 HC? ***I’m a firm believer in im not soupposed to be a know it all, and I listen to the experts.**** so, here we go and where I need your help (I’m ordering an Elite):

1). Standard or E2?
2.) Single port or dual port?
3). Check Valve? Yes or no?
4). Add clean side separator?
5.) do I need extra hose or spare O rings?

Thanks, gents!!! This is why places like this are so powerful and impactful. I need something and don’t know enough to make an informed decision. So, I ask you for help. Why I love forums.
Original Poster
Hubweims
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby green68mustang_2002 » Jul 12 2018, 4:02pm

I don’t know what the dual outlet setup is for but the clean side and check valves pertains more to forced induction, turbos and blowers. You wont need anymore hose than what is provided.
green68mustang_2002
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GOAT721 » Jul 12 2018, 5:42pm

I went with the standard option, around$160 I think. it definitely catches oil and prevents it from coating the valves. I had the same question as you a few months ago, and this was the prevailing advice I received at the time.

just to add on to the purpose/function of the catch can

an engine with throttle body injection has the fuel mix with the air in the throttle body (hence the name), and the air/fuel mixture "washes" over the intake valves. since gasoline also acts as a cleaner/solvent, it keeps the intake valves clean and washes off the oily/sooty mist from the crank case breather line. our engines are direct injection which means that the fuel injectors spray the fuel directly into the combustion chamber, so no fuel washes over the intake valve. no fuel, no cleaning. over time, the small amount of oil/soot mist in the crank case breather valve coats and dries on the intake valves and this is called coking. the catch can filters out the oil in that line so only air is going past the valves
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 12 2018, 6:00pm

Great. Thanks guys. I think ahead and ordered the E2. Basically, just a little bigger capacity.just some extra insurance should it skip my mind to empty it between oil changes. Provided my engine isn’t a big oil hog, it seems that they upped the capacity to match regular oil change timelines. Much easier for me (someone easily distracted) to empty the can on oil changes because I do change my oil religiously on schedule. I don’t follow the oil life sensor in the trucks. I know it’s wasteful and the trucks is suppose to sense when the oil is needing changed, but I guess I’m just too old fashioned still about somethings.

What did you guys decide on mounting locations? Saw where someone mounted it way up front for ease of access and emptying. Pretty good use of space. Or at least I thought so. Did anyone do the braided line upgrade or just regular rubber stock tubing?
Original Poster
Hubweims
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby green68mustang_2002 » Jul 12 2018, 6:17pm

Here is mine. I juat used the rubber hose. Works great and it is still easy to get to.
7032D38C-4F7B-4A81-AB80-DCEF75AD2800.jpeg
green68mustang_2002
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion