jQuery not supported.

Hubweims’ 2018 Silverado High Country Build/Project

2018 Silverado High Country
Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

Re: Hubweims’ 2018 Silverado High Country Build/Project

Postby GOAT721 » Jul 12 2018, 8:00pm

mine is almost identical to above, but I ordered red, just to jazz up the engine bay, haha. plus, red adds about 5 hp, haha
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby green68mustang_2002 » Jul 12 2018, 8:09pm

GOAT721 wrote:mine is almost identical to above, but I ordered red, just to jazz up the engine bay, haha. plus, red adds about 5 hp, haha

Yea the black one only gave me 2-3 hp! LOL
green68mustang_2002
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 74
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Extra Info: SLT Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 12 2018, 8:18pm

green68mustang_2002 wrote:
GOAT721 wrote:mine is almost identical to above, but I ordered red, just to jazz up the engine bay, haha. plus, red adds about 5 hp, haha

Yea the black one only gave me 2-3 hp! LOL

Hahaha. I went blue to match / tie in to the Volant. Plus, when things turn blue, they tend to be a little sensitive, aggressive, and explosive. :shock: :lol: I’m expecting 8-10. Hahaha
Original Poster
Hubweims
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2018
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 12 2018, 11:05pm

The Volant CAI install is complete.
Attachments
A52BCFCB-02A9-43D7-BF1B-3A631013EB4D.jpeg
Original Poster
Hubweims
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 13 2018, 2:37am

CAI - install was completed. The truck does seem to breath better. I haven’t noticed a HP or MPG boost, but I have only put about 15 miles on it. Hahahaha. I think any gains would be virtually unnoticeable anyways with any CAI for my truck because of the tire size and weight. Plus, having done so much to it in such a short amount of time, it’s hard to decipher what mod actually had what effect. I still was not completely accustomed to the feel of the truck with previous mods from earlier in the week as I have only driven 65 mikes total with all of them in. I think the only true gains in HP and TQ will come from a tune which that process will start toomorrow as I’m expecting delivery of the DS inTune i3. So, with 8 speed tranny and AFM still enabled, some gains are proabably being masked a little. I love the fact that the truck has an 8 speed, but I don’t like how the factory TCM tune seems to try and rush through the gear changes especially the lower gears. I certainly am hopeful that the encryption for the TCM gets cracked by DS at some point and it allows some tweaking to the 8 speed.

Many commented about a noticeable “growl” but I can’t confirm. I did get on the throttle a time or two leaving red lights, but with the sport tone of the Corsa exhaust under heavy throttle, any growl from a CAI is probably washed out. The exhaust isn’t overbearing in volume at all (pretty freakin awesome actually), I just don’t think I should expect to hear an intake. The truck is absolutely more “peppy” with much better throttle response which does leave me to believe that it is breathing much better than before which is the main reason for the CAI. I did notice that this seemed to get better and better as I was driving it home. I’m really looking forward to getting started with tune process tomorrow. Will start with a canned one (probably 87 octane), but recalibration the Speedo and AFM disable is going to be the biggest gain I’m expecting. It’s getting really close to being time to reach out to Lew (likely to send an after hours email tonight).

I am pissed off quite a bit though actually. In my haste to get something done and the inability to wait until I had the time to do it this weekend, I let a local shop put the intake in for me today. I was due for tourque check on the wheels after the initial break in, and so I took the CAI with me just to see if by chance they could get to it. They were able to get to it, but it’s probably because I’ve used them for other work at other times, and they know that I’m constantly buying and doing something to my trucks. Well, anyways, evidently the tech decided to use my color coded bumper as a tool rest on the CAI install, and now there are scratches in the top of my color coded front bumper just under the grill. They weren’t there before, and I have some pics to prove it. Plus, I’ve been to busy that I literally had only put 53 miles on it since I picked it up after the Bilstein install. It is a little dirty with some smudges everywhere b/c of all the work that’s been going on to it this week, and I didn’t notice them initially while at the shop as I was leaving hastily to get to an appointment. But, they are definitely there now, and I’m super pissed off. Part of me is pissed at myself too because a CAI is such an easy install and I should have just waited until this weekend like I had planned. So, kind of feel like I did it to myself b/c of my freakin inability to wait. I just wanted the CAI done before the tuner got here so that I could focus on that and installing the interior LEDs this weekend. I don’t know of a fix to this without a complete repaint. Touch up paint is likely just to make it more horrible and look crappy. There is no way to buff them out. They are deeper than that (at least I think they are). I know it’s a color coded bumper and living down here in the south it’s only a matter of time with all the bugs, rocks, etc. from some road rash or wear and tear scratches and nicks in the bumper. It’s one reason I’ve always bought LTZ packages with chrome bumpers. They hide the blemishes much better. I’ll also be putting this truck off road and in the woods come hunting season. So, it really is just a matter of time. But to have them there and not to be the one to make them and to have them when I’ve only got 1,213 miles on the truck really has me irate. I’m open to any and ideas. I’m really hoping that some of you know something that I don’t with taking scratches/blemishes out.
Last edited by Hubweims on Jul 13 2018, 3:33am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster
Hubweims
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jul 13 2018, 3:03am

Got any pictures of the scratches?
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain192,029 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby Jetmech76 » Jul 13 2018, 3:13am

Beautiful truck and one hell of an upgrade to boot. I didn't read 4 pages worth of posts, but hopefully nobody was injured in the accident that left the LTZ totaled.
Jetmech76
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 42
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2016
Variant: LTZ
Extra Info: 1500 CCSB 4WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 13 2018, 3:15am

It’s dark, Neal. My wife hasn’t gotten very far with cleaning out the garage as she promised she would this week, so it’s parked outside. I’ll take some in the a.m. and post them when better light instead of street, house, and/or flood lights. Thanks for responding. I’m pretty upset right now about it. I should have checked before I drove it off, but I didn’t notice them until I got home and popped the hood to snap the pic of the Volant for the build thread. So, it may be a bit of a battle with the shop. I use them pretty often, and generally I get special treatment like today with taking care of the install with no notice. They really were very busy as they do a ton of work and specialize in trucks. So, it’s a hard situation b/c I don’t want to ruin the relationship either over something that was bound to happen eventually in how I use my trucks. But, nonetheless, I’m pretty mad about it.

I’m hoping that you guys can help and offer advice. Even if not a total fix, at least help me minimize it as best as possible if they don’t take care of it and fight me about it. So, thanks in advance. See, this is where that “impatient and just get it done” personality bites as much as it helps. I just had to have it done today and was hell bent on gettin it done before the tuner shows up tomorrow.
Original Poster
Hubweims
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 13 2018, 3:24am

Jetmech76 wrote:Beautiful truck and one hell of an upgrade to boot. I didn't read 4 pages worth of posts, but hopefully nobody was injured in the accident that left the LTZ totaled.

Thank you! It’s had quite a bit done to it this week....hahaha.

I walked away injury free. A little sore the next day, but nothing that a couple Advil couldn’t handle. My dealer told me I should be a commercial for Onstar. I’ll mever buy anything except GM products b/c of it. Another story for another time, but let’s just say that after actually needing it for once after buying 11 GM vehicles in the last 12 years (my dealer sales Chevy, Cadillac, and Buick and I’ve bought all brands from them at 1 point or another), the accident and the experience with an emergency and Onstar only solidified that I will only own GM products moving forward.
Original Poster
Hubweims
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 05Canuck » Jul 13 2018, 3:34am

I have not needed (touch wood) onstar but its a great feature to have to know that even if you cant respond...they will for you
You have a sweet truck now...but we all cant help but think it came at a cost to you and your family. Im glad it all worked out for you.
I agree with you..I will never own anything but a GM as well for the same reasons.
Last edited by 05Canuck on Jul 13 2018, 4:15am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 SS Impala 327 4spd
05Canuck
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 55
Year: 2019
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Extra Info: I jumped the fence
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion