jQuery not supported.

Hubweims’ 2018 Silverado High Country Build/Project

2018 Silverado High Country
Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

Re: Hubweims’ 2018 Silverado High Country Build/Project

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 13 2018, 3:59am

05Canuck wrote:I have needed (touch wood) onstar but its a great feature to have to know that even if you cant respond...they will for you
You have a sweet truck now...but we all cant help but think it came at a cost to you and your family. Im glad it all worked out for you.
I agree with you..I will never own anything but a GM as well for the same reasons.

Yeah, I haven’t had a wreck and only a couple of tickets in the last 25 years until this one. It was a wake up call for all of us for sure. Especially since it happened very late at night and at highway speeds. I was hooked up coming home after a long travel day. Usually wrecks at those speeds end up much worse, and I’m very lucky and blessed to have walked away virtually unharmed except for my pride and a little stiffness the next day.

Thanks again. BTW - I’m about 1/4 way through your build thread. Can’t wait to finish it off and see where you’ve gone with your HC too.
Original Poster
Hubweims
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2018
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 05Canuck » Jul 13 2018, 12:55pm

Ya highway wrecks usually end up in a bad place...lucky man!
My truck was an unexpected purchase as well, but not for the same reasons! I was in the dealer for one of my free oil changes that day, went out to breakfast with my buddy (the salesman) and bang! New HC. The gave me more than I owed on my 15 plus knocked 14k off this one. It was Nov and they had to move the rest of the 17s but it was brand new and I'm a happy guy. You could probably tell from the pics lol!
My build is stopped where it is for a bit. Next will be coil overs UCAs and a diff drop as well as new blocks and shocks for the rear, when that will come is anyone's guess. I think just to tied me over a custom tune from Lew might be in order!
I have one must do ( should have done it the day I got her) I HAVE to wrap the front end! 3M makes a pre cut 6mm kit for these trucks(the paint matched front end)that is pretty economical for what it does. The clear and base on the new trucks are microscopically thin!!!! If I look at it the wrong way...chip!!!
1965 SS Impala 327 4spd
05Canuck
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 55
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2019
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Extra Info: I jumped the fence
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 13 2018, 3:01pm

We have shop here that does the ceramic coating. I was thinking about, and trying to do a little homework because I really know nothing about it except everyone around seems to love it a swear by it that gets it done. FYI - you can sell anything in the south of you can claim and prove to “wipe away love bugs with just a dry cloth.” Hahahaha.

After my little hiccup with the shop tech yesterday, I can what you mean about the scratching and nicking. So, I’m going to need to do something myself. I just need to see about if there’s anything I can do to make it look a little better from what the shop tech did.

I still owe Neal some pics this a.m. I’m hoping someone has some ideas. I’ll go get those pics and post them here in a few.
Original Poster
Hubweims
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 13 2018, 3:45pm

Neal et all -

Here’s the tech infused custom paint job I was talking about.
Attachments
7EFC662F-CBAC-4693-BFE4-1E8DFE6FA37D.jpeg
331A2AFA-1594-40C6-A435-3F670988BA68.jpeg
Original Poster
Hubweims
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 13 2018, 3:57pm

Need recommendations:

Quick, easy, cheap mod I’ve my mind set on. I want a new antennae to replace factory. On the fence with a short 5-6 inch or a 10-12. Something definitely shorter than the cab.

My listening habits are XM, streaming, and personal library. I have unlimited data on phone and unlimited 4G hotspot in the truck through Onstar (kids have iPads w/o cell that take on trips plus it allows me to do work no matter where I’m at with the computer). I rarely listen to FM unless it’s the local college sports game or talk show with the coach (I live in a college town and it’s my alma mater). I do listen to AM radio especially in football season. I’m a New Orleans Saints season ticket holder, and I listen to the post game show on the drive home after the game. I live about 120 miles outside of NOLA.

So, what’s recommended and what brand?? On the drive home from FL a could of weeks ago, we ran through a storm front. The winds were pretty bad the stock antennae was dancing and bending like crazy. Actually bending like 90 degrees about half way up the stem.
Original Poster
Hubweims
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 13 2018, 3:57pm

Need recommendations:

Quick, easy, mod I’ve my mind set on. I want a new antennae to replace factory. On the fence with a short 5-6 inch or a 10-12. Something definitely shorter than the cab.

My listening habits are XM, streaming, and personal library. I have unlimited data on phone and unlimited 4G hotspot in the truck through Onstar (kids have iPads w/o cell that take on trips plus it allows me to do work no matter where I’m at with the computer). I rarely listen to FM unless it’s the local college sports game or talk show with the coach (I live in a college town and it’s my alma mater). I do listen to AM radio especially in football season. I’m a New Orleans Saints season ticket holder, and I listen to the post game show on the drive home after the game. I live about 120 miles outside of NOLA.

So, what’s recommended and what brand?? On the drive home from FL a could of weeks ago, we ran through a storm front. The winds were pretty bad the stock antennae was dancing and bending like crazy. Actually bending like 90 degrees about half way up the stem.
Original Poster
Hubweims
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jul 13 2018, 4:25pm

Hard to tell from the pictures exactly how deep it is. I have tried to do some quick touch ups on mine with the factory touch up paint things....with poor success. I have not yet really spent some decent time trying to do it right....just filling holes. Scratches are very tough also. I think a professional can do some nice work in hiding them....but not sure of cost. I have seen some shows on TV where they use much thinner paint and very tiny brushes to do the thin scratches.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain192,029 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby Hubweims [OP] » Jul 13 2018, 5:22pm

Kid in Candy Store...........
Attachments
D3F29950-B3CE-42D6-A44A-68B70A53F687.jpeg
Original Poster
Hubweims
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby huntingchevy25 » Jul 13 2018, 6:00pm

I put this on on mine, looks pretty cool and gets pretty good reception.
https://www.amazon.com/AntennaX-Bullet- ... rado&psc=1
AIRAID MIT, Elite Catch can, RC 2.5 level, Falken Wildpeak AT/3 275/70/18, Bilstein 5100 and 5160's, Gator Pro Tonneau cover
huntingchevy25
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2014
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 V8 LT Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GOAT721 » Jul 13 2018, 6:30pm

I put a 21 inch one on my truck, stock is about 29. I don't think my reception is any worse, and it is now lower than the roof
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion