jQuery not supported.

iMore's 2011 Silverado - "Bad Bowtie"

2011 Silverado 5.3l Quad Cab Custom Build - Follow My Journey!
Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

iMore's 2011 Silverado - "Bad Bowtie"

Postby Imore [OP] » Sep 19 2014, 4:17pm

So... I recently purchased a 2011 Silverado 5.3L Quad Cab. I love it! Bought it certified from a local dealer. Thing is, I love Trucks, and I love modding them! With this one, just like my last truck, I plan on just taking it slow, a few small mods/upgrades here and there... you know, until i get it where I want it, over time.
Figured I'd just start this blog to document the transformation each step of the way!
Follow me through this adventure! Feel free to rant/rave/comment/suggest... whatever! I'll be posting pics shortly!

-Isaiah M
Original Poster
Imore
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 6-Speed
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Re: iMore's 2011 Silverado - "Bad Bowtie"

Postby semicrazy » Sep 21 2014, 12:27am

Watin for pics.
semicrazy
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 87
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2008
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 6.0L 4x4 LT crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

iMore's 2011 Silverado - "Bad Bowtie" - Ep 1

Postby Imore [OP] » Sep 28 2014, 4:08pm

So...

Here she stood day 1 - purchased her certified used from a local chevy dealer. Decent deal, but she had me sold when i looked up close and she was just like new! LT package with upgraded interior...clean as a whistle. I Couldn't pass!

Before I brought her home, I had the dealership instal a Rough Country 2" front level - so that I could fit those Fuel Hostage's wrapped in Hankook Dynapros! So, that's how i drove her home!

Day 2 - What's a truck without that 'rumble'? Woke up early and drove her into the a local muffler shop. Had a 40 series delta flow thrown in (Flowmaster) single in/dual out - Love the sounds! Deep, low-pitched rumble, not too crazy loud. The shop also had some 4' tips they had laying around, they were actually 'powder-coated' in black. Looked pretty cool. So, i decided, why not!?

Take a look:
DSC_0690.JPG

Truck_edit.jpg
Original Poster
Imore
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

iMore's 2011 Silverado - "Bad Bowtie" - Ep 2

Postby Imore [OP] » Sep 28 2014, 4:18pm

Drove her a few days... but couldn't stand not having the windows tinted.

Purchased her with the 3 rear windows already tinted in a double-limo. Can't see squat! (Makes it difficult driving at night) But, i like it! The front windows had nothing though... so the contrast was crazy. being that this was illegal (fronts) it put me in a predicament. However, i was lucky enough to find a shop willing to do a 27% tint shade. Yes, 27%! I had never heard of it... but they had it, so I put it on. It's a median between a subtle 35% and the more extreme 20%.

It turned out AMAZING!

Check it out:
DSC_1037.JPG
Original Poster
Imore
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

iMore's 2011 Silverado - "Bad Bowtie" - Ep 3

Postby Imore [OP] » Sep 28 2014, 4:28pm

What next?

...Plastidip! I love that stuff!

Dipped both bowties in gloss black. Black with a few coats of the glossifier.

Then decided to color match the black plastics for a more custom/sleek look. Went the the tailgate handle first. Then, decided to match the front end lower valance to white as well, after removing the license plate. Gives it a more 'complete' look. I like it!

Rear: Bowtie & Tailgate handle
DSC_1022.JPG

Front: Bowtie & Lower plastic
DSC_1031 Edit.jpg
Original Poster
Imore
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

iMore's 2011 Silverado - "Bad Bowtie" - Ep 4

Postby Imore [OP] » Sep 28 2014, 4:56pm

And, the most recent mod - Chrome door handles.

As you may have noticed, the black plastic isn't really my thing. So, i decided to go with chrome door handles. Not a big fan of too much chrome either, but I like the way the handles look on the LTZ GM's. So here they are:
DSC_1027.JPG

Believe it or not, these are simply covers. Yes, the cheap ones that stick on via 3M tape... BUT, after doing my research, i found a supplier who makes these very well. Very solid, sturdy, and legit chrome plating. This also included 'bowl covers' so that the inside of the handles are chrome as well. can't tell the difference between these and OEM! Best $59 / 10 Min spent thus far!

So, here she is after all those mods as of today:
DSC_1028 Edit.jpg

Notice my 14 month old helping daddy shine 'er up! Teach em' young!
DSC_1024 Edit.jpg

I still have a large 'wish list' of mods... here's just a few:
1. Color matched rear bumper
2. Color matched mirrors? ...or tow mirror upgrade?
3. Larger lift - 3 inch
4. Front chrome tow hooks
5. HD Grille OR 2013 LTZ split grille? Suggestions...
5.5. If neither of the two above, just a billet grille.
6. Headlights! I bit extensive, but t'd like to do a projector retrofit for the low-beams. (HID the RIGHT way!) And, while the housing is open, clear the corner reflectors. If i can do that, i'd be happy!

Once that's complete, i'd like to move on to the interior! So, stay tuned!

Any comments, questions, suggestions?
Original Poster
Imore
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Tilt2Turn » Sep 28 2014, 5:53pm

Nice clean truck. I would suggest adding wheel well liners. Especially on a white truck, they clean up the look of the rear wheels and are easy to install.
Tilt2Turn
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » Sep 28 2014, 6:14pm

Looks good but please be careful driving around with rear windows you can't see squat out of especially at night and with your 14 month old in the truck.

17x9 +12 Vision Manic wheels * BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X Premium* DD SL1 headlights * E2 catch can * GMC floor liners
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Imore [OP] » Sep 28 2014, 6:23pm

Thanks guys!

Wheel liners are definitely on the list too... pretty decent deals on ebay.

And yes...safety is always a priority. I can still see through them, just obviously not as well. Plus, this is strictly the man-ride! 99% of the time, i ride solo. I have a separate, more practical/safer vehicle for the family!
Original Poster
Imore
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » Sep 28 2014, 6:26pm

Cool, but remember others have family too so even if your child is not in the truck the car you can't see because of those windows may have a child in it.

Oh and I think it would look better if that chrome piece under the grill with the slot in it was painted white.

17x9 +12 Vision Manic wheels * BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X Premium* DD SL1 headlights * E2 catch can * GMC floor liners
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 28
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users
Next

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion