jQuery not supported.

JB Long's 2004 Silverado

Initial maintenance log, eventual dream build
Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

JB Long's 2004 Silverado

Postby JB Long [OP] » May 22 2018, 2:56pm

Well, I've debated a long time whether or not I was going to start a "build" topic, mainly I just have no time/money to throw at the truck, and so far I've only done maintenance items, or replaced bad/failed parts. Since joining up two years ago I've stalked just about every build going back through all 32 pages and as much as the mod bug bites I still will not be able to make my mod list come to fruition, so think of this as more of a living dream thread.

Suppose I'll start at the beginning. I bought the truck in February of 2016 from a local dealer. I didn't even go to look at this truck, it was just on the lot and out of my price range. The truck I intentionally looked at that day was a huge, steaming POS. MN rust, obnoxiously loud exhaust with the tail pipe hanging lose out the back. Interior was … rough at best. Long and short of it, was not what I was looking for. Shootin’ the breeze over cars for a bit, we had a slight connection from both being in a car club a few years prior, he mentions that he has another truck that had only been on the lot a couple of days, had only gone through the initial trade-in inspection, and so we sauntered on out to have a looksie for sh1ts. After crawling around it a bit, hearing it run, I hopped in and took it for a spin. Was nice and quiet, rode smooth mostly, and was optioned more than I would have ever looked at previously. I beat him up on the price a bit, he wasn’t budging much, but I pushed back more and got more off on trade-in for my car, so I pulled the trigger and drove home, and snapped a pic in the drive way day one.

By May I was already replacing high mileage parts, water pump bearing failed in a bad way: Water pump and clutch fan, serp belt w/ idler/tensioner, T-stat, coolant flush of course. Cleaned up all under the hood. Around July time, I replaced the alternator and battery. I wire brushed and painted the battery tray.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago I replaced all forward facing bulbs except fog lights and high beams.

So far it is all stock which is nice, I don't have to repair anyone else's modification tragedies. But future "mods" are going to be really few and far between. With a house full of kids, garage remodel, a future deck build and patio, kids swingset build, and all other home-ownership obligations, leaves little money and time for much else.

Dream List of what I would like to see happen at some point in my lifetime.
AirRaid MIT
BTR stage 2 truck cam and PAC springs
Corvette Servo
Lewtune!
Hankook Dynapro ATM (265-70R17)
Muffler (need more research and will be open to suggestions)
LED interior lighting (full halogen replacement)
Original Poster
JB Long
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 Z71 CCSB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: JB_Long's 2004 Silverado

Postby nealinator » May 22 2018, 4:18pm

I am so glad you did not get the rusty crusty one!
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   178,207 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Michelin 305/50R20 - Airaid MIT
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - DiabLew Tune

$$$ Total Build Cost Excel Spreadsheet $$$
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 157
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Re: JB Long's 2004 Silverado

Postby silentbravo » May 23 2018, 1:20am

Out of that list, get the custom tune (or any custom tune) first. It will be the best performance/drivability improvement to start with.

Looks nice and clean, there are plenty of threads to daydream with on this site haha.
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.0 4x4
Mods: Bilstein 5100s, Airaid M.I.T., Custom LED Fog Lights, Custom Tablet Center Console, Catch Can, E-fans, Backup Camera, Black Bear Performance Tuned
My Build Log: silentbravo's 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD
My YouTube Channel
silentbravo
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z71Silverado06 » May 28 2018, 10:24am

Lookin good man can't wait too see what you do too it first
Z71Silverado06
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby JB Long [OP] » Jun 08 2018, 8:46pm

Well, discovered I have 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts on Friday, so that will have to be added to the list.
I have a cracked fog light bracket on the right side that I need to replace. I've been considering going with a LED replacement of some sort.

I will be removing the step boards and selling those, also the box rails and roll up tonneau cover to make way for a topper.

Adding to the list of parts:
Bilstein 4600
3 Exhaust bolts
topper
fog lights
coat my chassis/underbody with chassis saver
Last edited by JB Long on Jun 08 2018, 9:09pm, edited 3 times in total.
Original Poster
JB Long
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jun 08 2018, 8:57pm

Missing manifold bolts or broken??
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   178,207 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Michelin 305/50R20 - Airaid MIT
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - DiabLew Tune

$$$ Total Build Cost Excel Spreadsheet $$$
nealinator
Topics: 157
Year: 2010
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby JB Long [OP] » Jun 08 2018, 9:04pm

nealinator wrote:Missing manifold bolts or broken??

Broken, I miss spoke. I can see the broke stud just inside the flange.
Original Poster
JB Long
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » Jun 09 2018, 12:16am

Well if you still have bolts sticking out from the heads you can most likely get them out. It's rough on the body but you can do it without removing the heads if you can get a grip on them. I did 3 on my truck, the best method was unbolting the manifold, wedging it away from the head about an inch+, spray it down with penetrant, then using vice grips and a 6" plumber's pipe wrench to wiggle the bolt back and forth to start/break it free then, spray with more penetrating lube as you go, and start working it out.

I have pics in my build log about how it went, the first side I did screwed it up and broke it off, the 2nd side worked great with above method.
Here is a great video on it
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLXBA3nw778[/youtube]
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.0 4x4
Mods: Bilstein 5100s, Airaid M.I.T., Custom LED Fog Lights, Custom Tablet Center Console, Catch Can, E-fans, Backup Camera, Black Bear Performance Tuned
My Build Log: silentbravo's 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD
My YouTube Channel
silentbravo
Topics: 18
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby JB Long [OP] » Oct 05 2018, 3:59am

Well my truck has developed a power steering leak somewhere, so next order of business will be to find out where and fix. I started taking things apart, got the fan shroud off and got stuck getting the clutch fan off. Tried both the pipe wrench hammer trick, no go, then took off serp belt and tried wrapping a strap around the water pump pulley but it just kept slipping.
Picked up the spanner wrench and after some swearing and swinging the hammer got the clutch fan to move.
After a few trips up town, I am starting to see if could be from the pump, as the pulley seems to be slinging the fluid in a line from right to left. Too late for pics, I'll try and get some tomorrow and we'll get some more opinions on the matter.
Original Poster
JB Long
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby JB Long [OP] » Apr 07 2019, 4:35am

Been a while since I have been able to get on online, but I was able to find where my leak was, the high pressure hose had a small split in the line. Been driving for a few weeks now with no leaks. Was a very cold, long night getting that line replaced, but well worth it.
Attachments
20190101_142523 (Large).jpg
Original Poster
JB Long
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion