jQuery not supported.

shakenfake's 1999 Silverado Build

Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

shakenfake's 1999 Silverado Build

Postby shakenfake [OP] » Mar 26 2020, 11:48pm

I finally decided to start my under construcktion thread because I am ready to stop making new threads for each part and have a little bit better documentation for my truck. Today I just got in my new Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust and Airaid intake tube. These are my first major mods to the truck other than the complete sound system change. Here are the two parts ready to go on sometime this weekend maybe tomorrow.
IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

The goal of this truck is to eventually cam it and drop it. I am planning on going with a 2/4 drop and hopefully will have that goal completed sometime during the summer. Phew it is hard to have hobbies and be a college student.

I also have two more packages coming, a new rearview mirror that actually fits on my truck rather than one that I threw in there for a fix that bugged me but it now came up with another problem. I also have my steering wheel tilt lever coming in hopefully both of these come on Saturday or at the latest Monday.

I will be posting some more pics of the truck as she stands now but I am waiting for my motherboard on my other computer to be returned to me tomorrow hopefully that will repair my computer albeit not as exciting for some of you.
El Bandito
Airaid MIT Flowmaster Exhaust
Original Poster
shakenfake
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 26
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: shakenfake's 1999 Silverado Build

Postby nealinator » Mar 27 2020, 2:33am

I always like following along on these threads. Definitely post up pics of where it started from and tell a little about it. When you got it what you have done so far, future plans...etc.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   183,265 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 169
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby shakenfake [OP] » Mar 27 2020, 2:48am

nealinator wrote:I always like following along on these threads. Definitely post up pics of where it started from and tell a little about it. When you got it what you have done so far, future plans...etc.

Will do hopefully when I repair my pc tomorrow I will access all my photos and logs. The current plan is to drop it and cam it not sure when that will happen but that is the end goal. I also plan on doing a restoration of the paint and general fixes here and there.
El Bandito
Original Poster
shakenfake
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jmuirhead92 » Mar 27 2020, 2:48am

Any pics of your truck?
03 SIERRA 1500HD-Leveled-Limo Tint-20x9 Moto Metal 962s-35x12.50x20 Mastercraft CXT-Cobra 29LTD CB-True dual exhaust-no cats-x pipe-6 inch magnaflow magnapacks and 5x18 slant tips out the back at a °45. It's a work in progress
Jmuirhead92
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500HD Crewcab 6.0 4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby shakenfake [OP] » Mar 27 2020, 2:52am

Jmuirhead92 wrote:Any pics of your truck?

This is the only pic I have on my phone, this was about 6 months ago maybe? Not sure. I have some on my profile you can check out but those are all old as well. I’ll take some new ones tomorrow. Don’t have any with the new headlights.
Attachments
C5250377-DDC3-43FE-8CE9-B8A311DD4E8A.jpeg
El Bandito
Original Poster
shakenfake
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jmuirhead92 » Mar 27 2020, 2:53am

Awesome, i like it. I need some new headlights as well
03 SIERRA 1500HD-Leveled-Limo Tint-20x9 Moto Metal 962s-35x12.50x20 Mastercraft CXT-Cobra 29LTD CB-True dual exhaust-no cats-x pipe-6 inch magnaflow magnapacks and 5x18 slant tips out the back at a °45. It's a work in progress
Jmuirhead92
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby shakenfake [OP] » Mar 27 2020, 4:13am

Jmuirhead92 wrote:Awesome, i like it. I need some new headlights as well

Oooo on the GMCs I love the headlights that you can get https://www.protuninglab.com/hid-pro-yd ... jm-tm.html
Those are awesome and they released some for the Silverado about 2-3 months after I bought mine but I am not sure if they have the HID ones yet
El Bandito
Original Poster
shakenfake
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jmuirhead92 » Mar 27 2020, 4:16am

Those are the ones im going to get eventually and run with my LEDs
Jmuirhead92
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby shakenfake [OP] » Mar 27 2020, 6:02pm

Installed my new Modular Intake Tube from Airaid this morning. Out with the old
IMG_0968.JPG

And in with the new
IMG_0969.JPG

To preface all of my notes I was very skeptical about how this works and what the gains, noise difference, etc would really be.
So far I am liking it, when I first started the truck up after install I thought it may have sounded a little different but I thought it could have been because I had the hood open, revved it a little and still thought maybe it was the hood open it is giving some extra noise I didn't hear before. Decided to take it for a drive to get some gas and see what happens. Well let me tell you after driving around about 2-3 miles to get gas I am impressed. I definitely think that this is a damn good improvement, the noise is great sounds a lot better than it used to. I also may have a slightly better response time when stepping on it, that is not me saying there is a huge improvement and I understand it could be placebo but I truthfully think it is a little bit better. Also this is a much better looking piece of equipment than that old elephant trunk.

Overall I would say it took me about 15 minutes to swap it out including reading the directions and making some changes to my clamps. I was personally confused as to how to put the tube and the hump hose on, if you put the tube in but not all the way it is nice and tight and there are no gaps, but if you put the tube on all the way into the hump as it tells you to do then there is a slight gap between the tube and the hose. After inspecting the install to make sure and hope that gap went away it did so I guess you really are supposed to do that. Seems a little goofy to me but meh if that is how it is that's how it is.

This is how she sits today dirty girl really needs a bath but I just can't bring myself to bathe her yet with all this rain.
IMG_0972.JPG

Also can anyone tell me how to rotate the picture so you don't have to click on it to see it at it's normal angle?

Later this afternoon I should be getting my exhaust on and I will report back to everyone.
El Bandito
Original Poster
shakenfake
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Mar 27 2020, 6:09pm

When using your phone in landscape mode...you have to make sure the camera is recognizing the new orientation. I have a little image on mine in the lower corner that shows it rotating so that I know the camera has recognized the orientation and then when uploading on this site it will show correctly. The only quirk to that on this particular site is that irregardless of the camera orientation software...if you take a portrait picture...the site does not like that an normally tries to rotate it to landscape, which is exactly opposite what you did...haha.

some googular reading. https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-yo ... y-rotated/
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   183,265 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Topics: 169
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users
Next

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion