jQuery not supported.

SunDogAZ's 2005 GMC Sierra Z71 Crew Cab

Just bought it, doing brakes and a few other things to make it road-worthy
Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

Re: SunDogAZ's 2005 GMC Sierra Z71 Crew Cab

Postby nealinator » May 22 2020, 6:18pm

I was not aware they had a kit. Here is some info: https://www.suspension.com/blog/moog-co ... k-k-or-rk/

What kit are you looking at? got a link?
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   183,265 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 169
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby nealinator » May 22 2020, 6:40pm

I know that the Moog CK parts will be a lot more. And if you can't swing it...then do what you have to do. The thing is that the low cost kits like that just dont last and you will be back under there in 1 or 2 years doing it again.
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby SunDogAZ [OP] » May 23 2020, 1:10am

nealinator wrote:I know that the Moog CK parts will be a lot more. And if you can't swing it...then do what you have to do. The thing is that the low cost kits like that just dont last and you will be back under there in 1 or 2 years doing it again.

It's interesting though, the front end kit I ordered from amazon has 4 out of 5 stars with 287 reviews, which I thought was re-assuring, but there are several bad reviews even with pics that support what you're saying. You are probably right, what do you expect for $132, right?

But another thing is I've been hoping to finish the truck before an upcoming camping trip, and there was a nearly week delay in getting feedback from my mechanic about which parts to order. Last night we finally spoke, and he recommended the Detroit Axle parts, and I just needed to make a decision.

I did try to cancel this morning, but I just saw that the order status says they are shipped, So, they are on the way. I don't think returns are accepted, but I can sell them on ebay if I can find a much better kit at a price between the $650 (Moog) and these Detroit Axles at $132.

What I've been hearing thus far is, don't get Moog axle bearings and hub assemblies, but get Timkens (which I did order). But the rest of the Moog front end parts are top notch? Is that right?

There are some other brands that I am looking at:

- AC Delco, haven't found any kits yet, still looking, but prob pricier than Moog

- Rock Auto has this MevoTech brand, and it looks like an 8-piece kit:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5735259&cc=1431208&jsn=2703

- Anyone have any experience with PartsW?
https://www.amazon.com/Suspension-Chevrolet-Silverado-Classic-Control/dp/B075NM8D99/ref=sr_1_5?crid=OCZL36T7CSLH&dchild=1&keywords=front+end+suspension+kit+2005+gmc+sierra+1500&qid=1590192192&replacementKeywords=front+end+suspension+kit&sprefix=front+end+sus%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-5&vehicle=2005-48-548------------&vehicleName=2005+GMC+Sierra+1500

I also see other brands like Andersen Restorations, and DLZ. Every brand on amazon with an appreciable number of reviews seems to have 4 to 4.5 stars.
2005 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Crew Cab - 5.3L Vortec V8 - Z71 4x4
Build >> SunDogAZ's 2005 GMC Sierra Z71 Crew Cab
[gallery]https://www.silveradosierra.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=387899[/gallery]
Original Poster
SunDogAZ
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 9
Year: 2005
Variant: SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby shakenfake » May 23 2020, 1:13am

I am with Neal to buy the better parts BUT hypothetically say you have to change the parts every 2 years and you are doing it yourself. It would take you 5 two year cycles to match the cost of the Moog parts at 650. Now I am no expert on any of these topics but do you think Moog will last 10 years? Maybe it will I don't know but I am just throwing it out there. in 10 years you would have paid 1300 for Moog or 650 for Detroit Axle or whatever you are using.

But also don't forget time=money
El Bandito
Airaid MIT Flowmaster Exhaust
shakenfake
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 26
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » May 23 2020, 1:23am

The Timken are some of the best for the wheel hubs.

Moog Problem Solver series seems to be recommended a lot as good quality. Usually you can't go wrong with ACDelco parts, but they do have more than one line of parts as well, Professional line is the best and either OEM or OEM like quality.

You may not even have to change the bushings on your lower control arms. I just had one of my LCA off and it the rubber was a bit cracked on the edges where you could see it on either side, but really the bushing seemed fine. I was intending to change mine but the replacements I bought didn't look right so I didn't bother and only did the lower ball joint.
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.0 4x4
Mods: Bilstein 5100s, Airaid M.I.T., Custom LED Fog Lights, Custom Tablet Center Console, Catch Can, E-fans, Backup Camera, Black Bear Performance Tuned
My Build Log: silentbravo's 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD
My YouTube Channel
silentbravo
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SunDogAZ [OP] » May 23 2020, 2:18am

Ok, here is how I a looking at this now. Part of my mission with this truck has been to learn as much as I can. And so I am going to pay my mechanic again so I can watch, help, and learn how to do these jobs. Then in two years or whatever I will have a Moog or ac delco set waiting for me to do the job.

And also maybe I will look into buying a fixer upper truck, doing all the work, and flipping, then do it again? I do all sorts of DIY stuff and have a lot of tools. Wouldn’t mind having a go.
[gallery]https://www.silveradosierra.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=387899[/gallery]
Original Poster
SunDogAZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » May 23 2020, 2:35am

Just read a few of the reviews on the Amazon link. That's scary that the lower ball joints snapped off on more than one person. If you have good roads and not abusing/off roading at all, then these parts may be OK for a while.

Steering components aren't really a good place to cheap out on, same with brakes. Of course as with all online reviews, the most vocal reviewers are going to be the ones with problems, so there are probably 90% more people who bought the same thing and didn't even write about it and it was fine.
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.0 4x4
Mods: Bilstein 5100s, Airaid M.I.T., Custom LED Fog Lights, Custom Tablet Center Console, Catch Can, E-fans, Backup Camera, Black Bear Performance Tuned
My Build Log: silentbravo's 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD
My YouTube Channel
silentbravo
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » May 23 2020, 3:38am

I imagine you are paying that mechanic a slew of cash to help and learn all this. Are you sure you lack the confidence to just go at it yourself? You are going to pay him more than what you are buying in parts. Maybe you dont have the time or ability for the truck to be down too long. That I understand. But there are tons of youtube videos that can show you exactly what happens and you can easily follow along. Other than fighting rusty hardware...none of it is terribly difficult. Just need to know how to be careful with springs and torsion bars..etc. All of which are covered on videos.

Not trying to tell you what to do. You have to make that call and base it on your level of comfort and skill. I have done a ton of work to many cars in my life. And each time gain more confidence in attempting something new. But I will still review a youtube video before doing something new just to sort of walk thought what will need to happen in my head and make sure I have everything needed and understand the time it will take.

As for the part quality...it is a bunch of money when you are doing so much at once. But I alway look at it as what a shop would charge me to do the work. I can buy premium parts and install them and still be 1/3 of the cost of what it would be if I drove it to a shop and said..please fix my vehicle and take my money. haha
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby SunDogAZ [OP] » May 23 2020, 5:23am

Have you guys any experience with TRQ brand? Most reviews praised their high quality and great fit, but lack of zerk fittings for re-greasing means that once they begin to dry out and you are not able to re-grease, they will begin to fail. So, limited life expectancy.

https://www.1aauto.com/chevrolet-gmc-cadillac-steering-and-suspension-kit-13-piece-set/i/1asfk01727?f=1158141&y=2005&utm_campaign=gb_csv_br&utm_content=SFK&gclid=CjwKCAjw8J32BRBCEiwApQEKgYWgxzh1ZTs0PWhhlswY8Yg5nFG6AFQCnejhPFsphtq2HgNvZsR8MBoCtl0QAvD_BwE
Original Poster
SunDogAZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SunDogAZ [OP] » May 23 2020, 5:49am

nealinator wrote:I imagine you are paying that mechanic a slew of cash to help and learn all this. Are you sure you lack the confidence to just go at it yourself? You are going to pay him more than what you are buying in parts. Maybe you dont have the time or ability for the truck to be down too long. That I understand. But there are tons of youtube videos that can show you exactly what happens and you can easily follow along. Other than fighting rusty hardware...none of it is terribly difficult. Just need to know how to be careful with springs and torsion bars..etc. All of which are covered on videos.

Not trying to tell you what to do. You have to make that call and base it on your level of comfort and skill. I have done a ton of work to many cars in my life. And each time gain more confidence in attempting something new. But I will still review a youtube video before doing something new just to sort of walk thought what will need to happen in my head and make sure I have everything needed and understand the time it will take.

As for the part quality...it is a bunch of money when you are doing so much at once. But I alway look at it as what a shop would charge me to do the work. I can buy premium parts and install them and still be 1/3 of the cost of what it would be if I drove it to a shop and said..please fix my vehicle and take my money. haha

We agreed on 4 hrs labor max to do the front axle bearing and hub assemblies, CV axles, and front suspension kit. Then I'll take it for an alignment

And you are prob right about how easy these 3 things are to do, I should watch the vids on the 1aauto site that several reviewers mentioned.

But, in this project, I didn't mind spending the money for the mechanic on all the work we did before. Believe me, I am an avid DIY'er, and usually always figure out things myself and / or by furiously googling, youtubing, etc. If I can save money, I will, and I have saved thousands upon thousands over the years.

Original Poster
SunDogAZ
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext