jQuery not supported.

SunDogAZ's 2005 GMC Sierra Z71 Crew Cab

Just bought it, doing brakes and a few other things to make it road-worthy
Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

Re: SunDogAZ's 2005 GMC Sierra Z71 Crew Cab

Postby nealinator » Jun 03 2020, 4:13pm

Ah yes...I recall that bracket now.

It still amazes me they send out all that stuff bare steel. A quick coat of some sort of paint on the bare parts (except for splines and thread) would be so nice.

Also...I remember the days when I lacked the knowledge or skill or tools to do some repairs and would have to just throw new parts at it. But I am surprised that the seasoned mechanic you are working with would recommend new parts in this case. I would expect him to be able to extract the screw or drill and tap very easily and quickly.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain192,029 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby SunDogAZ [OP] » Jun 03 2020, 4:19pm

I think this is his first time dealing with so much rust. And it was me that wanted new or better knuckles.
2005 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Crew Cab - 5.3L Vortec V8 - Z71 4x4
Build >> SunDogAZ's 2005 GMC Sierra Z71 Crew Cab
[gallery]https://www.silveradosierra.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=387899[/gallery]
Original Poster
SunDogAZ
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2005
Variant: SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby shakenfakeshakenfake is online! » Jun 03 2020, 4:31pm

I'll back up sundog on this one about the knuckle. If you are buying a whole new front end might as well go all out so it looks shiny and nice. I understand the rust cleaning sentiment and I probably would do the same but if you have the money and have the desire to change it out then screw it buy new knuckles
Bandito
LQ4 Swapped 99 ECSB
212/218 low lift cam, 862 heads
shakenfakeshakenfake is online!
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 41
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 1500 6.0L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SunDogAZ [OP] » Jun 03 2020, 4:36pm

shakenfake wrote:I'll back up sundog on this one about the knuckle. If you are buying a whole new front end might as well go all out so it looks shiny and nice. I understand the rust cleaning sentiment and I probably would do the same but if you have the money and have the desire to change it out then screw it buy new knuckles

Exactly! But the main reason is I don't want zip ties holding in place the brackets for the brake line and speed sensor. I live in the valley of the sun where high temps reach 115+ in the peak of summer and the zip ties will only last one summer before they are dried out.
[gallery]https://www.silveradosierra.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=387899[/gallery]
Original Poster
SunDogAZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby shakenfakeshakenfake is online! » Jun 03 2020, 4:38pm

I have like a billion zip ties some even in the engine bay in the Texas heat never had them fail :lol: But yes I agree get that knuckle
Bandito
LQ4 Swapped 99 ECSB
212/218 low lift cam, 862 heads
shakenfakeshakenfake is online!
Topics: 41
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 1500 6.0L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SunDogAZ [OP] » Jun 04 2020, 2:13am

We made more progress today. Rust sucks. The bolts for the upper control arms where they attach to the frame, well the heads just twisted and snapped right off. This is after hitting with penetrating oil yesterday. Shite, a couple weeks ago also. We are using a saws-all with nice Diablo blades to cut thru those uckfers.

Just pounding on the torsion bar to free it from rust shook out a lot of rust. Did I mention that rust sucks? Lessons learned...

Here is a pic of one of the hub / bearing / knuckle assemblies. Yeah, in much better shape than mine. As I said before, got the pair for $100. I am not complaining.

They include the dust shields, which is good, cuz mine are jacked:

Here are the right side old parts:

And everything but the upper control arms that we pulled:

Oh yeah, you'll like this. My other car I had the windows up all day. It was about 109 F when I went to crack the windows, and of course it was like an oven inside. Check out the temp of the steering wheel cover! That's after being in direct sunlight for several hours with windows up. I could bake a cake in there!

Original Poster
SunDogAZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » Jun 04 2020, 3:26am

Dang you need one of those windshield sun blockers, and keep a window cracked!

Also if you have time, clean up the parts like the dust shield and give it a bit of paint, to help it live longer.
silentbravo
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SunDogAZ [OP] » Jun 04 2020, 5:45am

I just want to thank all you guys for all of the input, ideas, and everything thru what has been a great exploration for me. I have learned so much from all of you and my mechanic and my neighbor in these past couple months.

And I'll give another shout out to Murco and his Brakes 101 - Class is in! topic. It is where I began when coming to this site, and it in itself is an education for the un-initiated.

Over the past 30+ years I've taken care of all of my vehicles like all of the normal maintenance and light repair. I've also done auto upholstery, headliners, carpets, cleaning and detailing, assisted with a little body work and paint, and lots of other things. But this is the first time doing most of the things I've done with this truck. It's been great.

And so I am thinking, after I get the truck back together, I will see about refurbishing the knuckles (wire brush, tap bolt hole, paint). Hopefully there isn't too much rust damage. We're going to clean them with brake fluid tomorrow and maybe I can wire brush them also. I'll check for wear as well. It would be cool if they could become my backup set, or a spare set for another future vehicle.

Unfortunately, the dust shields (at least the right one, haven't gotten the left assembly apart yet) is made of fairly thin metal, and is quite corroded to the point that the mounting holes are missing bits of metal. I saw this same thing in a utube vid and the guy just threw them away. This one looks just as bad.

Good thing is I have a good pair that came as part of the assemblies we got today for the knuckles. I'm gonna see how the rest of those assemblies are, maybe some usable parts, but not for this truck of course.

There is probably not much else of the old parts we've pulled that I can refurbish or repurpose? What do you guys think?

You can't refurbish the lower control arms, can you? I wonder if I can repurpose the tie rods for anything?
Original Poster
SunDogAZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » Jun 04 2020, 6:01am

Lower control arm can't really go bad unless it gets bent, which is only going to be in a wreck or major impact. The bushings can wear out but they can go a long time before any significant failure.
Typically I think you would just replace the lower ball joint and re-use most of the time, unless it's actually cheaper time/money wise to just replace altogether.

Maybe you can make some type of metal art with the old stuff?
silentbravo
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SunDogAZ [OP] » Jun 04 2020, 8:18am

Just noticed the new lower control arm does not have the cross beam like the original. I know, don't buy cheap parts!

More pics:

Original Poster
SunDogAZ
Group Membership:
Registered users