jQuery not supported.

Zach's 2015 LTZ Z71 Build

Gonna give this a go this time around
Forum rules
Please read the stickied announcement PRIOR to making any post to fully understand what and why this forum exists.

Re: Zach's 2015 LTZ Z71 Build

Postby zbkeebler [OP] » Mar 04 2019, 6:23pm

I’ve developed a vibration when cruising. Seems to be between like 40-70mph. Feel it mostly in the seat so I think it’s the rear tires out of balance. Made an appointment with discount tire tomorrow to have them recheck them. Noticed they used quite a few stick on weights on some of the wheels so I’m guessing some may have come off.
Original Poster
zbkeebler
Staff Member
Staff Member
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2019
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 CC RST 5.3l
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby zbkeebler [OP] » Mar 07 2019, 8:08pm

Well, Took the truck in Tuesday and they balanced the rears and said it looked like the weights had shifted some. Yesterday I still felt the vibration. Have another appointment tomorrow to get them to road force balance them.

It's pretty intermittent so I'm really hoping it's just the tires since chasing the vibration after that seems a little more challenging.
Original Poster
zbkeebler
Staff Member
Staff Member
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Mar 07 2019, 8:19pm

Is that something you have to request? I have always just gotten whatever balance they do normally.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   187,076 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby zbkeebler [OP] » Mar 07 2019, 8:25pm

I called today and told them the vibration is still there and he suggested it. I was calling to ask if they could do it and to make an appointment so I guess these guys use it as a 2nd attempt.

https://www.discounttire.com/services/r ... -balancing

Seems like you have to request it or have an issue to have it done as it takes a little longer. He didn't say anything about cost so hopefully it's included in the lifetime balance..
Original Poster
zbkeebler
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Mar 07 2019, 9:11pm

Interesting. Good to know. It looks like it has more to do with the runout of the tire roundness vs the rim roundness...vs weight. I know they usually have a dot on the tire that is supposed to line up with the valve stem...but that is based on weight location.
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby zbkeebler [OP] » Apr 18 2019, 3:59pm

Not too much been going on. I did a few more vacuum and fills on the trans to switch as much over to amsoil fluid as I could. Did a total of 3 gallons over the course of a month or so; went on at least 1 hour drives before doing each vacuum and fill to make sure it was all mixed up.

Trans still shifts weird. Doesn't do it at all in tow/haul mode. shifts are smooth and crisp in tow/haul whereas regular driving the shifts are too harsh and unpredictable when cold and gets slightly better when warmed up but my commute to work is only 2 miles....so this only happens when I go somewhere farther away... Pretty annoying but I'm living with it.

Also installed some shock boots on the rear shocks just because. These are the ones I got and they fit really well on the cst shocks that came with the level 2 kit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016V ... UTF8&psc=1

And my sunroof track dust cover on the drivers side broke again. Previously fixed it with gorilla glue. guess I'll have to pony up the $30 for a new one..
Attachments
IMG_0851.JPEG
IMG_0852.JPEG
IMG_0906.JPEG
Original Poster
zbkeebler
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Apr 18 2019, 4:11pm

Did you get the tire vibration issue fixed up?
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby zbkeebler [OP] » Apr 18 2019, 4:19pm

So I think so. I still feel some vibration every now and then but it’s not as pronounced as before and I really only notice it when decelerating. And typically before brakes are applied so I don’t think it’s that. With the weird shifting it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s something in the trans.

I think the tires were part of it because it has gotten much better since the last balance.

Honestly at this point I’m just driving it and waiting for something in the trans to break because the truck came with a lifetime powertrain. And since I have the lift and non factory sized wheels I’m not even trying to take it to the dealer unless I know it’s something that will be covered since they wouldn’t touch it with the catch can on it.
Original Poster
zbkeebler
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users
Previous

Return to Under ConsTRUCKtion