Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Ticking noise when accelerating

14K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Ruination 
#1 ·
The new to me Duramax has a ticking noise going on as soon as you step on the gas. It is present from around 1000rpms to 2700 rpms. If I´m flooring it it goes away and it goes away as soon as I let of the pedal..

I haven´t checked the injector balance rates because I´m lacking the tools. I personally don´t think its a injector problem because its not present at idle and I don´t have any smoke coming out the back..

I´ll be attaching two videos of the sound and maybe someone got some input.

#4 ·
Maybe I'm just a tad sensitive to engine noise and so.. its pretty loud around 70mph so I thought it might be valve lash or something.
I will still check the whole truck this weekend in depth..

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

#5 ·
Sounds like a perfectly good Duramax to me. These engines are know to have a Slight knock sound that is a mechanical amplification of the engine running. GM did a lot of looking into it from complaints and fear of engine failures. Only to find that it was just the way the engine sounded.

#8 ·
At idle / low rpm, injection is made in multiple pulses. This is one of the reasons the dmax doesn't have the injection noise that was a characteristic of mechanical injection systems.

iirc, at high rpm the system uses fewer (or single) injection pulse.
Might be why you hear it at high speed and/or high rpm.

#9 ·
I thought I would made a thread about this since I experience something similar.. Mine is from the passenger side though. At idle through the fender well you can hear it pretty distinctly. When I have the truck under load at high RPMS I notice it goes away completly and I have a nice quiet smooth diesel sound that I am used to in a duramax until the engine speed comes down and it comes back. I have 1200 miles on the truck since it sat in a field for 2 years and have no injector issues otherwise...

Odd thing is that I feel like its going away more frequently than when I first started driving it.. I would get on it and it was so loud I was afraid something was going to blow up but now that it seems like it might just be one injector being noisy or something I am feeling more optimistic.. we'll see..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.