jQuery not supported.

Throttle response

Throttle response

Postby Skeith [OP] » Dec 01 2013, 2:09am

So first off, I'm used to driving older vehicles. and I must say I am a bit disappointed with the throttle response of the newer vehicles.
Truck is 09 silverado, base model, 4.3L V6, 90,300km on the odometer.

to put it mildly it just feels sluggish. I am used to when you bury the pedal, the thing GOES! The newer vehicles, seems like when you bury it, it "thinks about it
and then starts to accelerate, sluggishly at first and then picks up. Its not just the truck, my mothers sedan does the same thing. I seem to notice a trend between OBDII vehicles
having slugging throttle response, and the older OBDI vehicles doing what you tell them to do right away.

Even on the highway holding a constant speed, I am used to letting off the gas a teeny bit and slowing a couple Km/h or giving it a bit more and speeding up a couple Km/h
I notice with the truck, I have to let off the gas more than I should to slow down and then re apply the gas a bit to hold a steady speed. Its mildly annoying.
I'm getting used to it, but my big issue is, if I bury the pedal, it means I WANT to go, i don't want the stupid computer to think about it for a bit and then decide, yeah thats what the dude behind the wheel wants to do. I have also notice that if I am idling and I stomp the pedal for a sec or two, the engine doesn't respond the way I would like it to. The RPMs don't jump quickly, they sluggishly climb and don't peak nearly where they should. I couldn't make the truck lurch sideways from the engine torque if I stomp the gas if I tried.

All in all, I am very happy with how the truck drives, it handles and rides better than any truck I have ever driven, and is very comfortable to drive. When I have the boat behind it, it tows very well, even for a V6. I dont even notice its there unless I try for some vigorous acceleration. I just hate the throttle response. I don't want a computer second guessing me, I want it to take commands, when i bury the pedal I want it to go, if i let off a tad, i want the damn thing to slow down a couple km/h not stay at its current speed.

Is there some kind of a tune I can get done to make the throttle respond a little more, uh lets say, real time? Just don't feel that with the sluggish throttle that I am in FULL control of the vehicle.

.... I miss carburetors and cable throttles. :P
Original Poster
Skeith
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: WT 1500 4.3L V6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Throttle response

Postby Turbo Silverado » Dec 01 2013, 2:25am

They come tuned like that from the factory. Find someone who has HpTuners or some other tuning software and have them get rid of the delay and torque management.
Turbo Silverado
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2000
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby auto_god » Dec 01 2013, 12:41pm

Get it tuned. You'll have no regrets.
auto_god
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2018
Extra Info: Custom 4X4 5.3L 6spd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Skeith [OP] » Dec 02 2013, 5:05pm

Sounds like a plan, Gotta do some research and find out who around here does tunes and find someone who wont rip me off. How much can I expect a quick tune to cost? Nothing special just want better throttle response.
Original Poster
Skeith
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: WT 1500 4.3L V6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Vortec 4300 4.3L V6