jQuery not supported.

06 Silverado 1500 LT Vin Z 5.3 squeeling

squeeling noise coming from damper

06 Silverado 1500 LT Vin Z 5.3 squeeling

Postby Wgreen_71 [OP] » Jan 13 2020, 3:27pm

So the problem started a couple months back. When I would first start the truck up in the early morning hours to go to work I would hear a faint squealing noise from the engine. After about 5-10 minutes of driving it would go away. Well, it started getting worse, to the point that it never went away, so I started investigating. I thought since the issue started by only being present during initial engine run that it must be a bearing of some sort that wasn't getting lubrication after the engine had been shut down for a while but after running for a few minutes lubrication finally reached the bearing. Using a stethoscope I thought I had it isolated it. Well, after changing the main belt tensioner, the main belt idler pulley and finally the water pump the problem is still there. Again, using the stethoscope it really sounds like the noise is coming from the damper but I know there are no bearings on it. With the engine running I watched the damper, I don't see any noticeable wobble, while looking at the backside or the front side. The belt looks good, not frayed or worn in any noticeable way and it was replaced at about the 100k mark so it has about 70k on it. Truck has 170k miles on it and it's just my daily driver and occasional home store transport. Do not do a lot of heavy hauling or towing, 2wd as well. Any thoughts?
Original Poster
Wgreen_71
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT 1500 extended cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 06 Silverado 1500 LT Vin Z 5.3 squeeling

Postby RivGuy » Jan 13 2020, 8:25pm

I had to replace the harmonic balancer or as what I believe you are calling the crankshaft damper. (Same thing)

My problem was noises coming from it after replacing all the belt tensioners as you have done. It took replacing all the belt pulleys and tensioners before I was able to narrow it down to the Harmonic Balancer.

It's hard to determine where the noise or vibration can be coming from in the whole serpentine belt drive. So I replaced all the pulleys and the tensioner on the GM vehicle I had at the time due to possible pulley bearing failure. It had a bit over 100K miles and I figured all of them were due.

After replacing all the pulleys and belt I found the noise was comong from the Harmonic Balancer on the crank.
Replaced it and all noises went away.

It all cost's a few bucks but you can't afford to have any of them fail completely while your on the road. Any of the pulley bearing failures will stop you in your tracks as it will then spit the belt. More important is the possible failure of the crank pulley/dampener/balancer. It has a rubber portion molded inside that when it fails completely you can have major problems.
Not saying that is your source of noise. I would replace any of the pulleys with bearings that you haven't replaced yet first. It's good preventive maintenance and not expensive. I used all Dayco parts and were of excellent quality and available from my local parts store or online from RockAuto.com.

Then replace the Harmonic Balancer assy if needed. It will require a puller and a bit of work but still doable in the driveway. Parts store will loan you the correct puller if you don't have one.
RivGuy
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 5.3L HO Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Wgreen_71 [OP] » Jan 13 2020, 9:03pm

Thanks Riv. At this point I'm going to replace the belt. If the noise still doesn't go away I'll replace that damper.
Original Poster
Wgreen_71
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Regalguy80 » Jan 14 2020, 4:44am

I got the same thing going on. Only since the extreme cold couple days My noise sounds like the blower motor. It was in my old vehicle which was gm. But mine only makes the noise idling and slow speeds. I dont know where the blower fan is on my truck just yet. But since I'm reading the balancer, I could check that. But like you guys my idler, tensioner and ac tensioner all need to be replaced and are all quite loud. I hit them with 3n1 oil and wd40 so they are a bit better noise wise but still need new parts. I have found 3n1 oil first and shooting wd40 after into the bearings helps drag oil into the bearings they are sealed units. Do not get oil on your belt. I covered mine with paper towels. I also dabbed the bearings with paper towel after the service.
Regalguy80
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 18
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 LS 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Wgreen_71 [OP] » Jan 14 2020, 1:36pm

Regal, your blower motor for your HVAC is under the passenger dash. I'm assuming the 05's and 06's are either the same or very similar. I had to change mine a while back. It's not hard at all, pretty easy. You should be able to get it out/in in under an hour. Back to my issue. I'm going to replace the belt this weekend and if that doesn't fix it then I'm going to drive till something breaks. I've already thrown like $175 at the issue with no resolution so not willing to continue to do that. At this point anything that comes apart associated with the belt will not be fatal. It might leave me on the side of the road but I have AAA so I can get a tow home and it's a lot easier to fix something that is broken than chasing a ghost. One other thing I noticed this morning. When the engine is warmed up and at Idle the squeal is very faint or non-existent. However, under load with throttle application it squeals like a stuck pig.
Original Poster
Wgreen_71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Regalguy80 » Jan 16 2020, 4:34am

I agree. I'm not going any further with the noise. If it breaks, I'll fix it. The wifes ps on her car gave out this evening. Limped it home 30 k having to add atf to it every 10km. Sucks when its minus 40c. What ever the noise is my truck is making... can wait. Full plate this weekent
Regalguy80
Topics: 18
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 LS 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Wgreen_71 [OP] » Jan 21 2020, 8:56pm

Update: I replaced the main drive belt this weekend while I was doing an oil change and it fixed the issue. No more squealing. I inspected the old belt but other than it being stretched out a bit there were no other obvious physical issues with it. On a side note, if your going to change your oil and it's cold out warm the vehicle up first, it's a lot easier to get the filter off that way. Great googely moogly
Original Poster
Wgreen_71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8