jQuery not supported.

AFM/DOD complete delete advice

Re: AFM/DOD complete delete advice

Postby Steve.S [OP] » Oct 18 2017, 2:26am

The blems look like its from where they were locked into the mill. Each picture is a different head and theres about 4 on each head. I cant get a 10 to grab that bolt. Almost like its a 9 because 8 is far too small. Tinker tinker. Maybe I'm being over cautious but I would much rather do this once. I am already missing Bow season lol. I included a pic just to reference the side of the head that they are dinged.
Attachments
head 1.jpg
head 2.jpg
head 3.jpg
Original Poster
Steve.S
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z71nTexas » Oct 18 2017, 2:39am

If those were nicks near a water jacket or a bolt hole I'd be a little more worried. I see damage like this on aircraft engine internals and they blend using slow speed (less than 100 rpm) removing any high metal. Get the surface area flush as possible.

That is what I would do and spray head gasket with copper spray.

To get to that bolt you have to use a open end wrench 10mm...just checked it. Its a pain to find the right position but once you get it on the head you can break it loose.
20171017_204736.jpg
Z71nTexas
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 20
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 5.3L AFM Delete
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Steve.S [OP] » Oct 18 2017, 2:57am

I have a hand micro file i could use and i just got copper spray today as well. And the gasket kit i got is the felpro and permaseal which included every top end gasket. If i find one missing or one that wasnt included i will forsure be replacing this. Thank you for the help.
Original Poster
Steve.S
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Sierra Man » Oct 18 2017, 2:06pm

When I removed my oil pump, I took an old cheap 10mm open end wrench and put it in a vise and put a bend in it just to make it a little easier. It is a slow process to get it out. I also rounded it a little, so I used a bolt out of the front plate on the oil pump with an oversized washer when I installed the new pump.
2008 GMC Sierra 6.0 4x4
Rough Country 2" Level
Rough Country 1.25" Body Lift
33x12.50/20 Comforser CF3000 Mud Tires
AFM Hardware Deleted

Special thanks to Nealinator for the Sig Pic
Sierra Man
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 29
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 6.0 4X4 Extended Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Steve.S [OP] » Oct 21 2017, 2:42am

Heads came back looking new FINALLY!! Is it required that i order new valve covers? I thought about removing the oil valleys in them....yes or no.... and i can not for the life of me find the correct position of the crank pully. Is that just like every other pully...install...torque and go? So over this truck.
Original Poster
Steve.S
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Old Barney » Oct 21 2017, 5:11am

I had a set of heads gone through at a machine shop. They told me they were cracked and not repairable. I took them home and finally gave them to a neighbor. I really think the heads I got back were not mine. from that time on I stamped my initials some place. The next time that happened here in Floriduh I took in a 235 head and was told the same thing I looked for my initials and they were not on the head they wanted to give me back. I went to the manager explained and got my complete head back ready to install. the two shop guys were no longer employed there. seems they had a friend of a friend who had a bad head. crooks every ware.
Old Barney
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 14
Year: 1999
Variant: Texas Edition
Extra Info: 1500 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z71nTexas » Oct 21 2017, 12:33pm

Steve.S wrote:Heads came back looking new FINALLY!! Is it required that i order new valve covers? I thought about removing the oil valleys in them....yes or no.... and i can not for the life of me find the correct position of the crank pully. Is that just like every other pully...install...torque and go? So over this truck.

Not required to change valve covers but the seal is probably original and mine were no longer rubberized but dry like plastic.

The crankshaft sprocket has a small dot indentation. Needs to be at 12 o'clock with #1 cylinder at top dead center.
20171007_184721-1.jpg
20171007_184721-1.jpg (45.21 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
Z71nTexas
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Steve.S [OP] » Oct 23 2017, 11:15pm

Been a long weekend of playing in the garage again. I did drop the heads back off and have them redone. Rather safe than sorry. Finally got the oil pump out and reversed the pick up bolt like many others have. Got everything torqued to spec and everything installed except the a/c condenser and the radiator and intake components. Ill keep everyone posted as turning the ignition is going to be nerve wrecking. Once again...Thank all of you for your help and advice.
Original Poster
Steve.S
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Steve.S [OP] » Oct 25 2017, 1:39am

Reassembly went great. Went to fire her up and driver info center was flashing service charging system, service stabilitrack, service air bags, fuel gauge not functioning, volt-meter not functioning and gear selector it not displaying which gear its in (P). Turn over the ignition and NOTING...no clicks no nothing. Checked voltage at the battery and it has 12.98 VDC so I know its not the battery. So...unless someone has a hey idiot check this...I will be calling the guy I mailed my ecm to to have it flashed to eliminate AFM/DOD. So close...no cigar yet. :/
Original Poster
Steve.S
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z71nTexas » Oct 25 2017, 3:16am

Check your OBD to see if there are any codes.

I would look at:
Main fuse
Ground wire connection (1 driver side cylinder head rear and 1 front passenger side head front)
Power cable connected to alternator?
ECM connectors (check pins in ECM to make sure none are bent)
Z71nTexas
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8