jQuery not supported.

Clicking/grinding noise coming from throttle body

2010 Silverado 5.3l 37k miles

Clicking/grinding noise coming from throttle body

Postby corvetteii [OP] » Dec 26 2015, 4:54pm

So after I replaced my battery I've been having some noise coming from the throttle body area...I've searched the forums and I can't find the symptoms exactly like I'm having. Intermittently, as I come to a stop, I will hear a grinding noise coming from the engine compartment (throttle body) and it will continue until I stop along with a slight rpm fluctuations. If I try to gas it quickly after a stop, the truck hesitates and then kicks in and goes. Then after I shut the truck off I will hear this clicking grinding noise as the throttle body/idle air valve returns to zero?? Sometimes it will also make this noise as I turn the key on before I start the engine. It's not really affecting drive-ability aside from a slight hesitation after coming to a stop and sometimes the idle will lower as I come to a stop.

Any thoughts? I just don't understand why this started after my battery swap. I've cleaned the intake/throttle body with seafoam as well as disconnected the battery overnight in an attempt to "relearn" the throttle body but afterwards, the random grinding persists!

Thanks for any help!
Original Poster
corvetteii
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 6.2L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Clicking/grinding noise coming from throttle body

Postby radarman2000 » Dec 27 2015, 5:24pm

How could you know the noise is coming from the TB if you are inside driving?

But a coupla basic questions first.

Do you have a drive by wire TB or a cable actuated?

Have you taken off the air intake hose and manually operated the butterfly on the TB to see if there is any noise like you hear when driving?

Are there any codes being thrown? ( CEL Light on? )
radarman2000
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby corvetteii [OP] » Dec 27 2015, 7:38pm

The only reason I know it is coming from the throttle body area is sometimes when I turn the key on it will start grinding for about 5 seconds so I was able to turn the key on and run around to the engine and I felt the throttle body which is vibrating badly. Also, as I come to a stop along with the grinding, the RPMs will surge just a little bit and then level out. I am unsure if it is cable driven so I will check that out when I get home. I don't have any engine codes and yes I have opened up the air inlet and move the butterfly around with my hand and have not seen any obstructions. I wish that it did it every time I turn the key on so I could visibly look inside the throttle body as I hear the grinding but unfortunately it only does it consistently as I'm coming up to a stop. It's so strange!
Original Poster
corvetteii
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby badbruin44 » Dec 27 2015, 8:20pm

Well your truck is deff a fly by wire TB and from what I have read any time you clean the TB and inadvertently move the butterfly it will have to relearn. The grinding noise well I just would hope it is part of the relearn thing? Hopefully it it will settle down after some drives.
[gallery][/gallery]
badbruin44
Shifting into First Gear [L3]
Shifting into First Gear [L3]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 2500 6.0L CAI Gibson
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby corvetteii [OP] » Jan 01 2016, 5:34am

Well today the truck went into reduced power and the traction control light & stabillitrak light came on. After I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds to reset limp mode, I called my service advisor buddy. He ran my VIN and my truck is included in the gm special policy 11273 issue. I took it in and the replaced the throttle position sensor (everything on the side of the throttle body) for free. That fixed the grinding problem!
Original Poster
corvetteii
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby TheBiz » Jan 12 2016, 5:42pm

Have you have any issues since you replaced the sensor? The dealership replaced my throttle position sensor as well, but recommended that I replace the whole throttle body at the tune of $620. Mine was also grinding about 5 seconds before startup.
TheBiz
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby corvetteii [OP] » Jan 12 2016, 5:44pm

Nope, everything is running fine since they replaced the electronic components on the side of the throttle body
Original Poster
corvetteii
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby TheBiz » Jan 12 2016, 6:23pm

Awesome. My grinding noise is also gone and everything works great. Not sure why they wanted me to replace the whole throttle body...I probably won't be going back to that dealership.
TheBiz
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jgrimmz » Jan 12 2016, 7:18pm

Because the normal consumer doesn't have any mechanical knowledge or the sense to check a site like this to get real info on it and the dealer makes easy money whether they install a new TB or the required external sensors.
jgrimmz
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby TheBiz » Jan 12 2016, 8:15pm

I would love to know how/where a dealership makes their money. Specifically in the service department. Obviously everything is marked up, but where do they come up with $355 for labor when replacing a throttle body. Might take me 30 minutes to do it at home. That's 11 dollars a minute. I just don't see how they can do that and feel good about themselves.
TheBiz
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8