jQuery not supported.

Coil age

Coil age

Postby SantaFe75 [OP] » Aug 03 2016, 12:13pm

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone here knows a way to determine the age (build date, lot date) or wear of a coil pack?
I would like to know aprox. how old mine are.

My NTM 2010 SLE is going through a shakedown. I'm trying to replace any & all, tired/worn parts. Which leads me to the
ignition system. Wires & plugs inexpensive. 8 coils @ $50 each, ouch.

If I knew that they were orig with 100k+ miles I'd bite the bullet.

(I miss my good ol MSD Blaster)
Original Poster
SantaFe75
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Coil age

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 03 2016, 12:19pm

Unless you're experiencing an issue I wouldn't waist money changing coils. Many trucks have gone 200k+ with original coils, they don't really have a high failure rate, or at least you don't hear much about it if they do.
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 101
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby SantaFe75 [OP] » Aug 03 2016, 1:11pm

That is true.
I was just thinking of the thermal cycling they would have gone through.
Original Poster
SantaFe75
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 03 2016, 1:21pm

If they weren't $400 I could see changing them for piece of mind. You could get used ones but you risk them having more miles than the ones you have now.
ferraiolo1
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby SantaFe75 [OP] » Aug 03 2016, 1:27pm

I would be happy with a reliable, accurate output test. I have done the primary/secondary ohm tests before. A real time output Voltage test would be nice.
Original Poster
SantaFe75
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 03 2016, 1:34pm

These aren't as pricey as I thought they would be, I doubt they will increase performance on a stock application but they look neat. https://www.summitracing.com/search/bra ... erado-1500
ferraiolo1
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby SparkyJJO » Aug 03 2016, 1:39pm

Don't know what you'd use to measure that output voltage without blowing something up. Frankly I'd just run them, odds are they'll probably be fine. Not worth the $400 to replace them all as mentioned if they're working. Maybe buy one and carry it as a spare if it concerns you any.

I've heard several times that OEM coils on the LS series engines (which ours is a part of) actually have a higher output than MSD coils do. Somehow I doubt some of those reviews, unless their old coils were really shot simply changing the coils won't make huge differences like some are claiming.
SparkyJJO
Shifting into First Gear [L3]
Shifting into First Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Year: 2007
Extra Info: NNBS 1500 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SantaFe75 [OP] » Aug 03 2016, 2:03pm

I love those MSD coil's, and they're Blasters, very nice. The red would match my truck. Those are now on my short list.

Having a spare on hand (Murphy's out there) is a great idea. I'll check on one this morning.

It's not that I'm worried in town, but here in Northern NM if you leave town without Verizon you might as well leave the phone at home. I don't like hiking mountains to make a call.

I would hope that MSD would be using higher than OEM quality materials. Same as stock output from MSD does not sound right. Everyone's cutting costs though. By the way SparkyJJO, I'd love to see that test, LOL

My other reason for the reliability check is that I have an Intune on its way, and I would like to have her ready for a Diablew tune.
Original Poster
SantaFe75
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ericlw » Aug 03 2016, 2:34pm

My truck had 190,000 miles with the original coils and wires before it got totaled in a wreck.I even checked the old wires once against a new set. My old set had better resistance numbers then the new ones.

My friend had a mazda sport somthing. He claimed the coils had to be replaced every 50,000 miles or somthing like that because they wore out. I just laughed and let him waste 1000 dollars at the dealer having that done.
ericlw
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 13
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: Rally Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SantaFe75 [OP] » Aug 03 2016, 6:35pm

Well, I think that I've checked just about everything. My idle is a little lumpy and my LTFT's are odd. My LTFT's are bouncing between -7.0 to -0.8 fuel pressure is 43-44, IAT 111F it's 75 out temp. There is a definite hesitation on acceleration (low speed, second gear).
Finally while checking for these #'s, I find a P0147 bank 2 lean "Intermittent" no MIL or CEL. I was thinking bad spark. Plugs are good, wires too.
Original Poster
SantaFe75
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Vortec 5300 5.3L V8